Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Ute upgrade

Ute upgrade

Possibly looking at upgrading my navara ute 2wd.to a 4wd
    Was looking at some sr5 hikux 2022 2023 models.any opinions or recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Possibly looking at upgrading my navara ute 2wd.to a 4wd
    Was looking at some sr5 hilux 2022 2023 models.any opinions or recommendations.
    Win lotto is about the best recommendation
    Trout, Sika stag, MB and 2 others like this.
    Happy Jack.

d-max

Can’t go wrong with a hilux mate. I work on a mine site in WA and 99.9% of vehicles are either a hilux or land cruiser. Not a ford ranger in sight.

Mitzi are having a run out sale on there tritons. We just picked up a new 4x4 triton gsr $49990. Best value for money we could find
    Carbine and rugerman like this.

All the new models, better made ones, are good. Toyota, ford, Isuzu (Mazda, VW). All made in Thailand now.
    Except VW.

They all drive a bit differently. Test drive and see what you like. They are all bloody dear so take your time.

I had my heart set on a Isuzu. Could return it from the test drive quick enough. Too rough for me unladen. As most of my use is light carry only.

Took the Ranger V6 and Toyota out and Ranger was mint. Outselling Hilux here now.

Could have gone the other way if my use or need was different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we thought the dmax was the best unladen, ranger was the worst and only came in austo
    had a mitsi triton, it developed issues so sold it
    has toyota fixed the dpf issue yet?

I think there was a civil case in Australia relating to dpf and Toyota. I'm prettybsure they are all being recalled here the effected ones .

Toyota cabs are very small inside, if you are slightly larger in height or width in my case (shoulder width I find particularly tight and the seats just aren't as comfortable as the Ranger I have) you might struggle with them. If I have to drive one and have an adult behind me in the double cab I feel like I'm wearing the thing rather than driving it. I have to uncoil myself out around the steering wheel if I can't shift the driver's pew back before getting out. The shape at the back of the cab is slightly more comfortable for passengers I'm told, never been in the back of one.

I find the Rangers a LOT more comfortable inside to drive or ride in - but the Rangers all have soft crap suspension and go a lot better with a suspension upgrade or at the least supplementary airbags. The 2L bi-turbo version does not do well with heavy towing in the twisty back roads with a lot of up and down in comparison to the 3.2L models, best effort I've heard of is 9000k's for a set of front rotors and pads with the pads down to the metal backing and ripping the rotors to crap. No experience of the V6 but I'm told it does a lot better. The new Ranger is apparently similar to the Amarok but slightly cheaper if that's possible.

My experience of the Mitsi's is quite happy with the design and interior fitout, they go OK but heavily let down by electrical gremlins. I'm told the new model is better but again no direct experience.

Isuzu and mazda version, of the new model no direct experience but the previous Isuzu didn't impress on suspension. Once upgraded much better.

For context I'm an industrial user of the things, not a city soccer mum type who ponces them about. They are used to access worksites at load and towing a fully loaded trailer in 4wd and often using heavy machinery to drag them back out after the things have been parked in the spot for a few days. Not light useage and I've seen a few breakages and failures from it...
    Maca49 and buell984 like this.

single cab or double??

mine is for sale ... bt50...lots of extras...a isuzu d-max with mazda badges...basically
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a 2022 SR5 Hilux. Very happy with it
    BRADS and bigbear like this.

Some good feedback here .bit like the boat wanted topic
    My navara is the same with suspension. Some moron decided that coil springs in the rear are the go

So soft it's not funny bottom out. I fixed the problem with installing some aftermarket king springs in the back .raised the back 40mm but such a nicer ride now and I can actually undo the jockey wheel with the boat on.im open to options but don't think I'd ever by new again. My 2017 petrol navara will be for sale of anyone is looking .

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    we thought the dmax was the best unladen, ranger was the worst and only came in austo
    had a mitsi triton, it developed issues so sold it
    has toyota fixed the dpf issue yet?
    Has Toyota got rid of it power button yet?, l looked at one a few years ago, rode like a block dray
    Whatever Ute, check the fuel consumption, my 2013 2wd 3.2 auto in the mid 8s per 100 ks , later version are much higher, due to emission control, I’m told
    Last edited by Maca49; 11-02-2024 at 06:59 AM.
    No.3 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Exactly, my '13 PX2 manual is returning 8.1L/100 currently, the more modern versions are returning 13.5L/100 in similar roles but with more towing. I remain unsure how burning almost 5.5L/100Km more due to what is explained as emissions controls is better for the environment, when the percentage of each type of gas in the tailpipe is largely unchanged between the models?

Surely someone can explain this to me as I can't get me head around it at all...