Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Volvo S60 2.4

True but remember that larger open road km readings are prob better than something Joe Auckland has spent two hours in traffic in, five days a week, racking up a measly 80 odd km.

$5-6k will get you a really nice car either way
    stumpy likes this.

i have owned and worked on many a volvo /bmw etc ... unless you really love them , and must have one .... dont ... i rebuilt the engine in my last one (1998 s40) i got all the parts from wales in the uk , because it was $2000 cheaper , and thats with the conversion rate and frieght as well .... i will never own another euro , but a jappa , absoloutly , camry , mazda , and some hondas , never the 5 cylinder honda ... never ... good luck
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Things may have changed a bit but my fire-fighter family and mates always said if you knew a Honda was in an accident you knew it was going to be bad

You may find it works out cheaper to get to wellington pick something up and drive it back.
    Cars in wellington / Auckland are quite often a few thousand dollars cheaper
    or look into car transportation

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Things may have changed a bit but my fire-fighter family and mates always said if you knew a Honda was in an accident you knew it was going to be bad
    Yep in the 70's 80's and early 90's that was certainly true. Death traps. Much much better now

Example: I have a 2004 Volvo V50 in here this morning, needs a left hand drive shaft, and both front lower arm inner rear bushes. The bushes cost us $50+ (for a generic bush, which is all fine and dandy, the genuine article is $440 + gst). The drive shaft is $1590, TRADE price (I shit you not) unless I can find second hand, but the inner CVs are known to wear and create a shimmy under light load so a 2nd hand arm is very likely to not be much better. Every day NOT owning a Volvo is a good day hahaha
    stumpy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Yep in the 70's 80's and early 90's that was certainly true. Death traps. Much much better now
    Ah I see. So they improved the safety but continued to make gay cars

I reckon @BRADS had a vtec as a teenager
    kiwijames likes this.

Ah but they actually handle, as opposed to crapped out 2 ton taxis with suspension from the 1930s

Best mate in Canada, wife had a Volvo station wagon, don't know model, but he recon every time it went into the shop, it cost $3000, hit a pot hole, 3g, tranny played up 3g, electrical problems 3g, and he is a good mechanic, just when it broke. when he was away on FIFO shift, he also said service costs (filters, oil etc) were very high.
    she loved it, he hated that car,
    Me I would look at a jappa, I like Subaru, every one I have owned, been around, or had in work fleet, has been very reliable.

150,000kms is nothing on a honda or toyota if it's been looked after. Central South Island ... what about Subaru. You get alot of car for the money in a suby. Bit more expensive to fuel, but all wheel drive on icy roads is nice and reassuring when you put your missus in it everyday.
    jakewire and Beaker like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

@BRADS probably still has a vtec hidden in the woolshed
    Gibo likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

If you've never owned a European car, you have never had a good handling car, have always owned European up til now, my wife bought a Hyundai what a prick of a think to drive, at least you get to drive it full time you need to otherwise it doesn't stay on the road! Step up to the pleasure of driving a European! I wouldn't buy a Volvo though!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

euro cars do handle better generally,but spend too much time in the w/shop.I am a mechanic and owned about 7 euro cars, never again,but the Honda Accord Euro drive like a euro car with the reliabilty of a japa, one of the best cars on the road,hate working on them though, and wish I owned one.
    stumpy likes this.

Only cunty thing the Accord Euros seem to do in my experience is cook the odd alternator regulator once in a while (ie the occasional car, not all the time), Honda charge $2k to get one reco'd, but they just send it to our local auto sparky who does the reco for them at ~$400

Mrs. has one of those 2.4 vtec accord euro wagons. Hasn't cost us a cent yet, very comfortable on long trips, economical and the wagon has a reasonably roomy boot. Beats the shit out of her old Mazda of the same age for fit and finish and on road noise