Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By m101a1

Thread: Wireless reversing camera recommendations.

Wireless reversing camera recommendations.

Looking for recommendations for a good wireless reversing camera. Ideally one where the screen sits on (or replaces) the rear view mirror and has its own battery so it doesn't need a cable plugged in to run it. Money isn't too much of a issue, as long as it works well. Something of good quality is preferential.

If it can double as a dashcam and GPS this is a bonus.

the rear mirror ones can get a lot of reflection on them from light coming in rear window hard wired with the big rca type plugs on dash is easier to use with screen on same level as side mirrors . some off the rv models have xtra camera inputs as well for forward facing on blind side etc .

Quote Originally Posted by m101a1 View Post
    the rear mirror ones can get a lot of reflection on them from light coming in rear window hard wired with the big rca type plugs on dash is easier to use with screen on same level as side mirrors . some off the rv models have xtra camera inputs as well for forward facing on blind side etc .
    good tip thanks, is this more with hatchbacks and sedans, or do you think a station wagon would have that sort of trouble too.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    good tip thanks, is this more with hatchbacks and sedans, or do you think a station wagon would have that sort of trouble too.
    was on a falcon ute with canopy also would get interference at times make sure u centre cam above tow ball and get a jockey wheel on trailer , you will wonder why your back feels so good now , wish they had them 30 yrs ago check out ali x they have some good ones for rvs with rear lighting and decent screens .
    erniec likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by m101a1 View Post
    Nah bollocks sorry - the screen type on the dash or in the dash are total poo. Reason is the screens are not the 'daylight viewable' type so in strong sunlight you can't see them! In a word they suck.

I much prefer the ones in the rear view mirror for a few reasons, one that is your natural place to look when backing as stupid as it sounds, another being that sunlight can't hit the rear view mirror like it can with the dash mounted jobs. Also, the smaller screens in a typical rearview mirror mounted one are of the daylight viewable type and are way easier to see. All of the modern factory-fitted types run off the entertainment/in cab multifunction display and these displays are all relatively cheap low-resolution and not high-definition daylight viewable. The two Mitsi cars I drive are of this type, regularly struggle to see the display if facing away or quartering away from the sun (coming in the side windows). I have driven a lot of work vehicles and utes all using the in dash displays, same problem. My Ranger was one of the last model XLT's before the Wildtrack inbadge camera got fitted to the XLT, so I had Ford fit a factory option camera and replacement rear view mirror with display in it. In comparison, it is bloody brilliant to use I completely prefer it to the (probably much more expensive but way less useful) in dash screens.

Also, my vote is the wired type. They are much much more reliable and yes about an hour of fluffing about to install but they don't die and don't have batteries or any bullshit in them to go wrong or interfere with anything else wireless in the car. It's a camera cable down to the rear, tap into the reverse lights to switch the reverse camera mode on and then run that cable up into the roof lining and forwards and with the screen that clips over the mirror in the front tap a power feed off the interior lights in that area which are usually permanently powered to the switches as a courtesy feature. Yes, I am fairly sure you can get forward-looking camera versions with GPS and handsfree bluetooth in them too. If it has a crash cam feature, that might mean you have to run the power cable to an ignition-on circuit rather than something that's powered as a courtesy feature as that might mean your crash cam runs while parked and could drain the start battery.
    Last edited by No.3; 15-03-2024 at 08:31 PM.

I have a wired one in the mirror, have tried 2 different mirrors as nephew has a spare, we have is aftermarket come to the conclusion the camera is crap. It and was on the ute when I bought it. I basically only ever use it in full dark as you can't see much during daylight.
    Happy Jack.

Have had to replace a couple of cameras where they have gotten full of moisture due to the outer plastic lens crapping itself - also one where the outer lens went cloudy like a headlight that isn't uv treated...

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Have had to replace a couple of cameras where they have gotten full of moisture due to the outer plastic lens crapping itself - also one where the outer lens went cloudy like a headlight that isn't uv treated...
    Thats why I recommended the rca type plugs on camera as many cheap models have very specific 4 pin plugs for that model only

True, although most of the smaller plugs seem to be of the semi-sealed type, and they are typically a lot less bulky. It's sometimes easier to feed those around the required gaps and holes in panels etc and through roof linings. With the RCA plugs if they are in an exposed area you have to seal them or heatshrink them, and if the cable has to go through something it's a cut and splice job. Pain in the ring and takes up valuable procrastinating time. I chucked one setup into the wife's old car before it lunched the DM flywheel - that was a hatchback type small SUV and the small 4-pin plug was able to fit through the factory cable gland between the body and hatch door. That's another valid point though, quite often you can get model-specific cameras that replace a rear fitting like a number plate light and incorporate a plug that just plugs into the loom. Then all you need to do is find a way to get to the reversing lights from the camera location and splice that, connect the camera coax and do the front end.

I have had to replace the cameras in those model-specific setups though, and that becomes a bit more tricky as you often have to fabricate mounting blocks to hold the readily available round cameras. The cameras often have a dot or marking on the back of them that tells you what way is camera view up - worth noting. I really do rate reversing cameras for trailers and also when backing out of carparks into a roadway - you can often see moving vehicles on the camera before you shuffle back far enough to clear the vehicles either side. Even with the maintenance and installation work required they are a bloody great tool.