Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By BRADS
  • 2 Post By woods223
  • 1 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By 6x47
  • 1 Post By 6x47

Thread: Yamaha Wolverine 850

Yamaha Wolverine 850

Anyone running one of these? Looking at them as a potential upgrade from the 4 wheeler later in the year for hunting. Was either that or the Pioneer 1000 but I like the features on the 850. The other question is what size trailer can they squeeze in to as I’ll need to up size the 8x4. Hoping a 9x5 will do it but going over the online dimensions it may not be big enough.

Hey mate we had one for few years, was very reliable, the only reason we sold it was they are so noisy compared to the more modern can ams etc
    The drone really got to me.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Snowgrass and XR500 like this.

Couple of cockies around here have Wolverines. They’re happy with them. Bear in mind they are strictly a two seater. Main maintenance issues are an lose front prop shaft retainers and they are reasonably hard on rear suspension bushes. Pioneer 1000 is physically a bigger machine, basically a small ute size, and can be a cnut to transport. Require a wide trailer. Maintenance wise they are also hard on rear suspension bushes. Their biggest fault on early model is the reduction/reverse gearbox, shift between ranges without coming to a complete stop and you’re in for a set of gears. We’ve only sold one of the new generation model so don’t know of any issues yet apart from they run Canbus which is voltage sensitive. Supply of new Honda units is an issue at moment.
    Snowgrass and rugerman like this.

Thanks fellas. Pricing up a trailer at the moment is pouring a bit of cold water on this SxS idea.

You can make up a relatively lightweight "insert deck" for your current trailer to handle the slightly wider track - basically a car type arrangement with two strips of whatever for the wheels to site onto and a frame between them with some structure to lock into the current trailer sides and transfer the weight down onto the deck of the trailer. The only proviso here is the trailer must be able to handle the weight of the entire shebang - and some of the sxs are deceptively heavy.
    Snowgrass likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgrass View Post
    Thanks fellas. Pricing up a trailer at the moment is pouring a bit of cold water on this SxS idea.
    I could well be wrong it was a while ago but I'm sure ours fitted on a 8x5
    The wolverine is a lot narrower than the modern side buy sides

I've got a Wolverine X2 and am quite happy with it. Plenty of traction and not so big that transport/ narrow tracks are a problem. Only issue I had was not the machine's fault- my son put contaminated fuel in it and buggered the pump.
    Snowgrass likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I could well be wrong it was a while ago but I'm sure ours fitted on a 8x5
    The wolverine is a lot narrower than the modern side buy sides

Yeh that’s what I’m hoping. Don’t mind if there’s a little bit of overhang. More likely to find a 2nd hand trailer that way I’m thinking than going 10x6. Apparently the earlier 850s are narrower than the new ones as well.

My trailer is 1660x3040 internal dims and the Wolverine fits with ~70mm clearance on each side and a good spare 300 in length
    Snowgrass likes this.