Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree42Likes
  • 10 Post By gimp
  • 1 Post By Mathias
  • 1 Post By -BW-
  • 2 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 6 Post By Danny
  • 6 Post By Husky1600#2
  • 7 Post By Mathias
  • 6 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 2 Post By Bigash
  • 1 Post By Steelisreal

Thread: NZHS Hunter Challenge and Long Range Day - 7/8 Sept; Sparrowhawk

NZHS Hunter Challenge and Long Range Day - 7/8 Sept; Sparrowhawk

Thanks @Husky1600#2 for jacking this up.

As discussed in the Sparrowhawk Ultimate Hunter thread earlier in the year, there was enthusiasm for a NZHS Forum event shooting the same course.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....s-comp-101570/

This has been booked in for the weekend of the 7th and 8th September at the Sparrowhawk facility in South Canterbury.

Saturday the 7th is the Ultimate Hunter Course - a field shooting style competition course consisting of 20 animal profile steel targets engaged in realistic hunting scenarios and field positions at ranges from 200-700 metres, with first-round vital hits scoring only. 2nd round allowed to make yourself feel better...

This course is a great opportunity to test yourself and I recommend everyone should shoot it prior to being allowed to have opinions on the internet.
    Note calibre restricted to sub-3200fps mv and rifle less than 12LB, no "competition" rests e.g. tripods or dedicated shooting bags.

Sunday the 8th the Long range will be open for shooting on targets from 200-1000 (+)m.

There is camping space on site and we'll fire up the BBQ Saturday night.

Please book through the Sparrowhawk website where the event is listed -

https://www.sparrowhawk.co.nz/event-...ng-range-day-1

We'll go ahead in normal inclement weather (the comp in Jan was shot in some hefty NW wind) however may cancel or postpone if the forecast is exceptionally poor.

I'll be goin'
    veitnamcam, 199p, Pengy and 7 others like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Booked

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    gimp likes this.

out to 700m??
    Judging by the feedback from the ‘how far do you shoot deer’ thread most hunters on here don’t shoot anywhere near that distance, or have rifles suitable for it.
    As a suggestion, having a ‘hunters shoot’ out to 3 or 400m, that is seperate from the long range entries might get more participation.
    A shooting comp is a great idea, but first round hits at 700m is a bit of a long range comp niche and not aimed at hunters IMHO.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    out to 700m??
    Judging by the feedback from the ‘how far do you shoot deer’ thread most hunters on here don’t shoot anywhere near that distance, or have rifles suitable for it.
    As a suggestion, having a ‘hunters shoot’ out to 3 or 400m, that is seperate from the long range entries might get more participation.
    A shooting comp is a great idea, but first round hits at 700m is a bit of a long range comp niche and not aimed at hunters IMHO.
    Pretty sure there's only 1 at 700m the rest are at more realistic average hunting ranges. I'll be there for sure

What I don't understand is why no tripods ? I often use a tripod to get above long tussock or if sitting in steep terrain none of my rifles are anywhere near what you would consider "competition rigs" maybe I'll just pull one leg off and use it as an extended bipod
    #DANNYCENT

The average range is under 400m
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Most on the internet shoot capably to 1279m.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Pretty sure there's only 1 at 700m the rest are at more realistic average hunting ranges. I'll be there for sure

What I don't understand is why no tripods ? I often use a tripod to get above long tussock or if sitting in steep terrain none of my rifles are anywhere near what you would consider "competition rigs" maybe I'll just pull one leg off and use it as an extended bipod
    Ah ok if that’s the case then I guess that’s not so bad.

The Hunter Challenge is set up so that the majority of the shots are realistic hunting ranges and scenario's. From memory, all but the long range wobblie, are less than 500 metres and most are in the 2-300 range. It is a realistic hunting type challenge suitable for the average hunting rifle. you dont have to shoot all or any particular target if you dont want to, but most guys like to try for the wobblie - just cos.

Bipods are allowed, tripods are not. You can use whatever hunting paraphanalia you have in your pack, maybe the pack itself, maybe a rolled up parka as a "bag". But in the spirit of the challenge, its hunting rifles and normal hunting equipment.

The Sunday is for those that want to stretch their legs and shoot long range. Any rifle, hunting or comp, bipods, tripods, bags, big arsed scopes, you name it.
    gimp, veitnamcam, chainsaw and 3 others like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Don't forget its all about having fun....
    This often gets forgotten when the word competition is mentioned. I've shot the coarse twice & it's a great day out on the hill, plenty of fun!
    Looking forward to catching up with those that make the trek.
    gimp, veitnamcam, chainsaw and 4 others like this.

I'll be there of course (just up the road and I technically work for Sparrowhawk too).

This is a great time and is very worthwhile for any hunter. I've shot it with a 223 and finished in the top third (same place I normally finished even with a 270wsm or 284win).
    gimp, shift14, Mathias and 3 others like this.

Is this a format like the US NRL hunter, where you need to locate, range and shoot the targets under the time limit or are the target locations and distances known?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Is this a format like the US NRL hunter, where you need to locate, range and shoot the targets under the time limit or are the target locations and distances known?
    Target locations and distance are "approximately" given.
    You will need to range your own Target to be exact
    No strict time limits have been given in the past, they have said keep it fair and reasonable,

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Steelisreal and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Gonna come down and shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigash View Post
    Target locations and distance are "approximately" given.
    You will need to range your own Target to be exact
    No strict time limits have been given in the past, they have said keep it fair and reasonable,

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    @Beetroot - come down and give it a go if you're able. It's a really fun shoot and the rules that are there are really only to keep it close to how hunting situations might be on average. Well for Canterbury anyway!

Initially I thought we needed to get setup and get our shots away quickly, but it soon became apparent that we were getting through our group more quickly than the two squads in front so there was no need to rush. It's a good idea to bring your binos and range finder as the animal targets aren't super obvious to the naked eye. Our squad worked together to estimate wind and confirm ranges. You still have to sort your dialling for elevation and wind and then decide where exactly the vitals gong is. And then execute the shot.

I used a combination of my hunting pack I often shoot off for prone shots and a Harris sitting length bipod for the steeper uphill shots. It is definitely better to dial for elevation for this shoot given the ranges. I would also dial for wind if you can as i didn't last time and it definitely cost me points. It's also a good idea to shoot reasonable size projectiles to get a solid hit on the gongs. It was blowing so hard in January that even with electronic earmuffs it was hard to hear the hits . A bubble level is a good idea too much like it is for any longer range shots. This might seem like it's 'target shooting' just at animal targets, but in reality that's how we often hunt around here (particularly picking off wallabies at longer ranges).

You can take it as seriously (or not) as you choose. But hitting things well is more fun right? Just bring a well zeroed rifle and a little knowledge of your load and you'll have a blast. If you've only got a short-barrelled 'bushpig' just load up some heavier higher BC bullets and have at it. And bring plenty of ammo for the Open Range Day on Sunday!
    Husky1600#2 likes this.