Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: NZHS Varmint Postal Shoot

NZHS Varmint Postal Shoot

Following on from the relative success of the rimfire postal shoot we are going to run a varmint style postal shoot.
    I'll describe the shoot and the rules much the same way i did the rimfire shoot.

This shoot is primarily a North Island vs South Island team competition. Please note though all individual scores will be posted and ridiculed to the best of our ability
    This shoot is set up as a fun challenge and participation is encouraged by all even if you think you might not do very well. This shoot is setup more as a varmint shoot rather than a short f-class competition. Scoring rings on the targets may be small but they are small for everyone! As a varmint shoot it is primarily aimed towards medium distance accuracy with less focus on positional shooting.

Please note this competition is not only open to forum members. Anyone can have a go, but it will be the forum members and their family members that will provide the most entertainment for the rest of us. The events are timed and junior or inexperienced shooters can have this time limit waived if prior approval by the shoot committee (i.e. myself and Gillie ) is gained.
    veitnamcam likes this.

General Shoot Rules

The competitor shall confirm their entry by submitting targets for scoring to Gillie. Entries can be emailed or posted just PM me once you have your shot targets to submit.
    Entries must be received before the nominated date to be included.
    The organiser will score all targets and post the results online after the completion of the shoot.
    Scoring will be inward (i.e if you cut the line you get awarded the higher of the scores).
    No gauging will be applied.
    North Island vs South Island scoring will be based on the average score of competitors competing on behalf of that Island. Once the average score for the team is calculated the number of competitors making up that team will be added to the team average to make the team total score.

Rifle and Shooting Rules

Any rifle with a maximum caliber of 6.5mm can be used.
    No restriction on the type of sights.
    Only one rifle shall be used throughout the shoot unless a serious malfunction occurs and the rifle cannot be further used.
    No restriction on type of rest or shooting position (shooting off a bench would be fine, you just have to carry it 5m! )
    There is no restriction on the type of rifle support that may be utilized including a bipod, pedestal rest, sand bag, pack, etc… Any rear stock support may also be allowed including the non-firing hand, a sand bag, pack, etc…
    No sighters are allowed. thats right, no sighters - honesty is required
    Spotting scopes can be used but you have to carry them and set them up within the time limit.
    No wind flags are allowed.
    A second entry by the same competitor will be allowed but only the highest of the submitted scored will be included in the team average.

Targets must be submitted by the 16th of November 2012.

Shooting Positions

For all events at the commencement of the time limit the competitor shall be standing with rifle and magazine unloaded 5m back from the shooting location carrying all the equipment they require for the shoot. At the beginning of the time limit the competitor shall move forward to the shooting location, setup their equipment, load their rifle and shoot the event. No gear shall be pre-setup at the shooting location including shooting mat, spotting scope, etc...
    The competitor shall fire 5 shots at each target - including those that miss the target completely
    For all of the events the time limit shall be 3 minutes.

Shooting Position 1
    The nominated rabbit target set at 100m
    Shooting Position 2
    The nominated magpie target set at 150m
    Shooting Position 3
    The nominated possum target set at 200m
    Shooting Position 4
    The nominated wild cat target set at 300m
    Last edited by Gillie; 10-09-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Targets

Links to the targets should still be working. If these don't work for yah just get in touch with myself or BaldBob and we'll sort something out.
    Rabbit Target.pdf
    Magpie Target.pdf
    Possum Target.pdf
    Wild Cat Target.pdf

Easy to remember the end date - that's my birthday, Gillie!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

AB Precision
    sweet im in for this to gillie

so all 4 targets shot an one 20shot string under 3min? been long day brain aint working

Pretty sure that means 3 mins per target including set up Abe
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

Pretty sure that means 3 mins per target including set up Abe
    told you has been long day thanks cameo

Yep, sorry that is 3 minutes for each event not for all of them. 20 shots in 3 minutes would be a bit harsh

Should have worded that bit like "For each individual event the time limit shall be 3 minutes".
    Last edited by Gillie; 11-09-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Max 6.5mm? So no 308/7.62? I would be keen to give it a go but only have 22 and 308

Quote Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
    Max 6.5mm? So no 308/7.62? I would be keen to give it a go but only have 22 and 308
    Yep, max 6.5mm. Set based on being a varmint shoot. It was expected most people wouldn't be using a .270 caliber or larger for small game. When R93 gets his long range postal shoot up and going or we do a large game shoot the caliber restriction will be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Yep, max 6.5mm. Set based on being a varmint shoot. It was expected most people wouldn't be using a .270 caliber or larger for small game. When R93 gets his long range postal shoot up and going or we do a large game shoot the caliber restriction will be removed.
    Fair enough. I'll wait for the long range postal shoot... but based on my current performance I might as well send those targets in now, i.e. targets with no holes

I guess a 308 would make the competion unfair as it would kill the paper target more that a 6.5 would... or maybe people are secretly scared of the phenomenal accuracy of the legendary 308
    R93 likes this.

Fair enough. I'll wait for the long range postal shoot... but based on my current performance I might as well send those targets in now, i.e. targets with no holes I guess a 308 would make the competion unfair as it would kill the paper target more that a 6.5 would... or maybe people are secretly scared of the phenomenal accuracy of the legendary 308
    Can I have a picture of a barn door instead . Would suit my shooting ability .
    Dougie likes this.

I guess a 308 would make the competion unfair as it would kill the paper target more that a 6.5 would... or maybe people are secretly scared of the phenomenal accuracy of the legendary 308
    I could mention the no gauging applied to the scoring I suppose and the advantage a .308 would have over a .222 but i suppose it is only a couple of mm worth of improvement for each shot. I was shooting on Sunday at 200m with a howling wind coming in from nine o'clock. One of the guys was shooting a .222 and he was holding off more than 3 times what i was using my .375.

I suppose when i think varmint rifle i think .22hornet, 222rem, 223, 22-250 up to about 6mm caliber. I view 6.5mm as an all rounder with any bigger getting into a big game rifle.

The large game postal shoot should be a bit of fun if we get one going.