Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: NZHS Rimfire Postal Shoot

NZHS Rimfire Postal Shoot

So as i mentioned in the North vs South thread i have put together a simple rimfire postal shoot. This first post will introduce the shoot. I will follow this post with some general rules, then some equipment and shooting rules and finally the events themselves.

The shoot is set to be a bit of fun and provide sufficient challenge to give us all something to have a laugh at afterwards.

I have tried to have the format suited more to hunters than target shooters. I have tried to accommodate a bit of speed shooting for the "bush hobbits" and then a bit of longer distance accuracy for the "varmit shooters". I have tried to include some positional shooting as well. I have not considered junior or inexperienced shooters in setting the time limits.

Please note this competition is not only open to forum members. Anyone can have a go, but it will be the forum members and their family members that will provide the most entertainment for the rest of us. I'll see if my partner wants to have a go and i might see if my old man wants to have a go as well.

One of the targets is a bit large a file to be uploaded directly to the forum and i had planned to email or send a hard copy of the targets to competitors. As very few of you actually know me i shouldn't expect you will want to give me your home address or your personal email. In lieu of this i suggest i email the targets to one of the forum moderators and they pass them on to the competitors.

Closing date for shot targets to get back to me is the 7th of September 2012 (a week before I leave overseas)
    Last edited by Gillie; 27-07-2012 at 04:23 PM.

General Shoot Rules

The competitor shall PM the following details to the organizer (Gillie) to confirm their entry.
    Forum name:
    Male / Female:
    Age (as of date of entry):
    North Island / South Island:
    The competitor will receive the targets and the shoot rules by email or snail mail.
    Once the competitor has completed shooting they shall mail their targets and the following details to the organizer (Gillie) by no later than the nominated date.
    Forum Name:
    Rifle details (model, caliber):
    Scope details (model, power):
    Ammunition details (brand, type):
    The organiser will PM their postal address to competitors.
    The organiser will score all the targets and post the scores on the forum.
    No gauging shall be applied to the scoring.
    North Island vs South Island scoring will be based on the average score of competitors competing on behalf of that Island.

Rifle and Shooting Rules

Any rim fire caliber rifle is allowed including .22short, .22LR, .17HMR, .22Mag, etc
    No restriction on the type of sights.
    Only one rifle shall be used throughout the shoot unless a serious malfunction occurs and the rifle cannot be further used.
    While shooting positions of prone, kneeling and standing the rifle should be supported by only the hands, check and shoulders. The cradle position can be used in a sitting competition.
    When shooting prone the hand which supports the rifle fore end must be at least 75mm off the ground.
    Where “Off Pack” shooting is allowed any fore end support may be utilized including a bipod, pedestal rest, sand bag, pack, etc… Any rear stock support that is not rigidly connected to the fore end support may also be allowed including the non-firing hand, a sand bag, pack, etc…
    Unlimited sighting shots at the various distances are allowed but must not show on your final target. Once the time limit has started only the nominated number of rounds shall be fired.
    No wind flags are allowed.

Shooting Positions

SHOOTING POSITION 1
    Five rounds standing shot at 25m.
    The competitor shall start 5m back from the firing line with their rifle and magazine unloaded.
    Once directed to start the competitor will move forward to the firing line and load and fire their 5 rounds at the target.
    The total time for this event shall be 30 seconds for a semi auto and 35 seconds for a bolt action, pump action or single shot rifle.
    The target shall be the nominated Rabbit target.
    Total possible score for this event shall be 50 points.

SHOOTING POSITION 2
    Five rounds kneeling/sitting shot at 25m.
    The total time for this event shall be 1 minute.
    The target shall be the nominated Magpie target.

SHOOTING POSITION 3
    Five rounds prone (unsupported) at 50m.
    The total time for this event shall be 1 minute.
    The target shall be the nominated Possum target.

SHOOTING POSITION 4
    Five rounds prone (off pack) shot at 100m.
    The total time for this event shall be 30 seconds. The competitor may start with their rifle loaded and in position.
    The target shall be the nominated Wild Cat target.

Targets

Three of the targets are attached below. See my first post regarding the last magpie target.
    Targets shall be printed on standard A4 sheets.
    Targets can be either Black and White or Colour (I prefer colour!)

Possum Target.pdf
    Rabbit Target.pdf
    Wild Cat Target.pdf
    Last edited by Gillie; 27-07-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Nice Gillie. I'm always up for a laugh so I'm in. let me know if I can be of any help.
    2 questions , as I understand it no slings? and what about a second entry with a different rifle? bit like the equestrians.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Thanks sneeze, just might need a bit of help emailing targets out. I don't want to restrict people entering cause they don't want to give up their personal email to someone they don't know.

No problem entering twice with a different rifle. Be interesting to see if you do any different with a different rifle!

R93
    How is the shoot to be refereed Gillie? Is it an honesty thing or should forum members from different regions get together and shoot?

Wow those are some great targets Ok im in. Il embarrass myself with the JW and whatever ammo is lying around.
    No sling then?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

AB Precision
    in also

Might to a sneeze an do 2? but the 17hmr has a 4shot mag an the target rifle is single would make the timed ones harder

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    in also

Might to a sneeze an do 2? but the 17hmr has a 4shot mag an the target rifle is single would make the timed ones harder
    We should have a day down out the back of the farm Abe. Have a play at this and some steel.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    How is the shoot to be refereed Gillie? Is it an honesty thing or should forum members from different regions get together and shoot?
    Up to you, it is a postal shoot. Honesty works for me but even better if you can get together with some other people to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    No sling then?
    I sort of envisaged it more of a hunter class type shoot so how about you can use a sling if you can get it setup and tight within the time limit. So for position 2 and 3 you start the time limit with the magazine/rifle loaded but sling off your arm.

Ill give it a nudge . Anyone else in christchurch keen ? .

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    We should have a day down out the back of the farm Abe. Have a play at this and some steel.
    Thats would be us dave, im sure adam would be in also

Ok could be tricky then I struggle to shoot the Jw without some kind of rest. It will shoot (not target grade of course) pretty well for what it is tho. Its just that the 10" of creepy trigger travel can be tricky
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 31-07-2012, 11:08 AM