Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 40l day bag - suggestions

Osprey bro, i have one that i think it about 45L and it carrys so well
    stagstalker likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I have one of the old 40l Huntech packs which had been great and lasted well. I think they are making them again?
    TLB and stagstalker like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

You should definitely consider the Karrimor brand packs, especially the Sabre range. They are built very well, and if you get them from Sportsdirect NZ website, the cost is not too bad, given their quality.
    Sportsdirect deliver cheaply and quickly too. See https://nz.sportsdirect.com/karrimor...lcode=79802590
    stagstalker likes this.

+1 on Huntaway, I've tried a fair few packs and it's the one I keep coming back to.

I used the pikau before I got the 40l pack. Good for hunting, not so good for carrying a load.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

H.M
    Another vote for the cactus huntaway, these packs just work, i have added some pouches to the hip belt that hold my knife, inreach, phone, range finder so no need to wear a belt. Side straps hold rifle on solid as weather packs full or empty. The bungee strap on front it awesome for putting ya warm top layer under when it gets too hot and easy to grab when needed without going into pack. Must try this fleece top idea tho as it is very noisy in the bush. I paid $400 for mine which hurt so i can see where ya coming from at over $600 now, there prices have gone too high i think. But it is good gear that will last.

Hi all
    I have used a Huntech 40l pack for the last 4 years, and I mostly bush hunt, and it is still in top condition. Has worked fine, can carry a good load, has sleeve compartments in the main bag for keeping things apart and easy to find, is easy to use a drinking bladder. It also has compression straps on the sides which is handy for extra gear. It is made of basic fleece so is silent in the scrub, and many of the more recent additions to the market seem to be more noisey, and stuffing around with an aftermarket fleece sleeve seems just inconvenient and a pain in the ..... Another advantage of basic fleece packs is the ability to throw them in the washing machine on a cold wash, with a non whitening powder and they come out clean, stops the blood from rotting the seams etc. The biggest pain with the Huntech is there is no sternum belt to hold the shoulder straps in place, I made my own and it really makes the pack comfortable to use. For bush hunting I recommend the Huntech, for open hunting there are many options with loads of features.
    I quite liked the look of the Tatonka Stealth packs, just not sure of the quietness of the fabric, someone else may have some experience.
    Cheers
    Ruger7mm
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Just seen to that twineedle have some new Molly side pouches. Would probably fit the huntaway to for additional 10 litter capacity.
    They’re just in the final stages of designing a new version of the Big Molly as well. Due to market soon. Not sure what capacity of the new version will be yet, but the old Big Molly was about 50L.

I have been really happy with the Tatonka Norix 48ltr for a day pack and overnighter, comfortable carry with an adjustable harness, compresses down well, reasonably lightweight and good functionality. Manages a full load of meat pretty well over long distances. Tried the huntech 40ltr previously and as mentioned above it is good for bush hunting after the first couple of loads of meat the stitching started pulling away where the hip belts attach to pack and there really is not much purchase when looking at what is holding it together. Prefer using a five pocket hip belt when bush stalking. I have seen the Norix now comes in a stealth/fleece fabric but I have not seen one in person, could be a good option.

Thanks is everyone, just picked up a Tatonka Norix 48 and now heading into the hills for a couple of days to give it a workout

Hi SS
    I look forward to your review.
    Regards
    Ruger7mm
    stagstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Thanks is everyone, just picked up a Tatonka Norix 48 and now heading into the hills for a couple of days to give it a workout
    And the new gun I hope
    stagstalker likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    And the new gun I hope
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Have one not in use that I could’ve sold to you, didn’t think of it.
    I like it and can use it for weekend trips too

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @stagstalker I have a brand new (or maybe used once) black Weka if you are interested. Dunno about price. 20% off retail?
    Is this size 3 and still for sale?