Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Any Butchers About - End Grain Boards

If you intent to fix the board in place I would suggest using a wire brush to clean after use,as soap and water will be soaked into the wood and may contaminate the surface....if you can remove it to cleanand DRY it then disregard this.
    McNotty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullers243 View Post
    If you intent to fix the board in place I would suggest using a wire brush to clean after use,as soap and water will be soaked into the wood and may contaminate the surface....if you can remove it to cleanand DRY it then disregard this.
    Cheers for the info, won't be fixed at this stage but could be in the future if we redo kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    Thanks for that man, your boards look bloody nice! Do you sell any?
    Yeah I do sell them but haven’t really found lots of buyers. The timber alone can be quite expensive and a lot people aren’t overly interested in paying $$ would rather only spend $10 at Kmart. I made a batch of 6 mixed boards and I think the timber set me back $400 odd. So each board ended up like $250+
    I mainly make them for good friends at barely cost price or for wedding presents etc.
    I have about 6 more to make once lock down ends. I try and save them up to do at once as the time to do 6 isn’t 6x doing 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ranal View Post
    Yeah I do sell them but haven’t really found lots of buyers. The timber alone can be quite expensive and a lot people aren’t overly interested in paying $$ would rather only spend $10 at Kmart. I made a batch of 6 mixed boards and I think the timber set me back $400 odd. So each board ended up like $250+
    I mainly make them for good friends at barely cost price or for wedding presents etc.
    I have about 6 more to make once lock down ends. I try and save them up to do at once as the time to do 6 isn’t 6x doing 1.

What kind of sizes do you do? I'm happy paying decent money as I know the time that goes into them. What kind of money are you talking for like a 500 x 400 x 50 mm board?

black maire is awesome firewood....it burns out fireboxes really quickly...if you are trying to split it with axe you HAVE to hit it directly with the grain or directly against the grain or your razor sharp axe swung with all you heart n soul put into it will simply bounce back up...trust me on this Ive split truck loads of it.....when it splits its a little like fibreglass,and splinters feaster like stink....and yes it is plurry heavy.
    rewarewa is nearly as hard when dry,its got beautiful honeycomb grain to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    black maire is awesome firewood....it burns out fireboxes really quickly...if you are trying to split it with axe you HAVE to hit it directly with the grain or directly against the grain or your razor sharp axe swung with all you heart n soul put into it will simply bounce back up...trust me on this Ive split truck loads of it.....when it splits its a little like fibreglass,and splinters feaster like stink....and yes it is plurry heavy.
    rewarewa is nearly as hard when dry,its got beautiful honeycomb grain to it.
    I know what you mean, we used to have a fire box in the hut up the back of Taihape that was made from two kents welded together. The bush had been milled years ago but a heap of old stumps still around. That old wood used to make it glow red, that area was one of the coldest I've ever been in winter.
    Micky Duck likes this.

What kind of sizes do you do? I'm happy paying decent money as I know the time that goes into them. What kind of money are you talking for like a 500 x 400 x 50 mm board?
    I can let you know once I can get back into the timber yard again. I have 6 to do currently so would be a bit cheaper and would depend on what wood you wanted. Most of them I make are around A3 size and are approx $300 give or take.

Walnut board finished. Bloody wrapped with it.

Name:  IMG_2536.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  339.6 KB
    Tikka7mm08, mikee, 6x47 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    white pine/kihikatea is ideal as it has no scent.....why it was used for butterboxes I believe....not sure how it will stand up to chopping.
    It's pretty soft wood and is about as "splitty" as macro in my experience. I wouldn't choose it for a chopping board

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    It's pretty soft wood and is about as "splitty" as macro in my experience. I wouldn't choose it for a chopping board
    Yes, they used it for butter boxes because it is lightweight, and not very dense, so easy to nail together fast. Not ideal for a high wear use like a chopping board

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Any timber board will be more sterile than either glass or plastic. Totara contains a natural antiseptic but is a very soft timber and will mark very quickly. Eucalyptus makes a good board.
    Yes back in the day I was a chef, had three restaurants over the years - Auckland City Council Health inspectors, made us bin the wooden chopping boards and move to white plastic, which had to be soaked in Janola to clean them - needless to say they smelt like swimming pool chlorine, but the Health inspector would shut down the restaurant, if we didn't comply.

The some bright spark to whom I'm eternally grateful, from the University discovered that properly cleaned wood boards did indeed have an antiseptic quality, (it's inside the cells of the wood, very natural) and we went back to the "old" ways.

Mind you, I always disagreed with the health inspectors on matters of science, had to trespass one once.

What about sap kauri as a more cutting than chopping board...?

Walnut board finished. Bloody wrapped with it.
    Cool, what size is that one out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Cool, what size is that one out of interest?
    Oops just saw you mentioned the size in the very first post. Cheers