Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: BBQ's

I reckon Weber copied these:

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/z...gas-chilli-red

I wouldn't be without one now.

My dad has an old 6 burner Rinnia? And a baby Q......the baby q doesnt heat enough to cook a heap of steak at once.
    You can get it hot enough with the lid down but by the time you turn the steak it has cooled and it starts to stew in its own juices.
    For just a couple of bits its ok but on big feeds its relegated to precooked sausages and bacon while the good stuff is done on the 6burner.

My 8 burner Masport has done alright so far and pokes out the heat but the rear burner has a leak now and the bottom tray is nearly rusted out but it lives outside.
    Good heat output tho.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Got the weber genesis E310 just before Xmass does a bloody good roast. they only heat up to around 270 c so you have to cook with the lid down for best results. A meat thermometer
    is a must and use it
    If you want heat get a broil king
    LOC likes this.

Ahhhh pork belly in the Webber! I gotta stop eating that shitz.
    GWH and Harryg like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

GWH
    If I'm at home I now almost never cook on the gas, instead I cook over hardwood lump charcoal in the weber kettle. If doing low n slow I'll use brickettes laid out in the snake method that burns around like a fuse and can cook at very low temps for 12 hours that way if wanted.
    Last edited by GWH; 06-01-2018 at 09:32 AM.

I have a Kiwi Delux 4 burner from the BBQ Factory. Was an Xmas pressing in 2001. Showing signs of wear and tear - battle damage
    Had 2 cylinders with the Kosan push on fitting. Being coastal the cylinders started rusting and replaced one with a screw on regulator. The screw on reg is definitely a lot colder than the push on.

If you are “poaching” your steak you may be loading the hot plate up too much and can’t keep up with the heat output.
    I think a rule of thumb was 1/3 meat and 2/3 uncovered.
    Have been to a few BBQ where the plate is overflowing with meat and the liquid generated only just boiling

Like the look of the Weber Q
    Mate has a Broil King and rates it

We have Broil King, Has been used almost every night since we brought it 6 years ago.
    Heats up hotter than a really really hot thing and cooks steak real well, came with the burner thing on the end and a Rotissere thing both of which we have never used.
    Having suffered thru 3 cheap 3 burner things we wont be going back to them.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Looks like some great results in these pictures - do you cook on bare steel plates (flat side or ribbed side) or over the wire mesh - or do you cook on these black plastic mats - just started using a mat and saves a lot of time cleaning - but maybe restricts the heat too much - I need cooking lessons Maca - what beer do you like?
    Maca49 likes this.

The weber q in action
    https://youtu.be/j1iEAfglyJU
    And the end results
    Name:  IMG_2738.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  299.4 KB
    GWH and Maca49 like this.
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    If you are “poaching” your steak you may be loading the hot plate up too much and can’t keep up with the heat output.
    I think a rule of thumb was 1/3 meat and 2/3 uncovered.
    Have been to a few BBQ where the plate is overflowing with meat and the liquid generated only just boiling
    That is what happens when you dont have enough heat input, when you do have enough heat you can fill the plate no problem.....well as long as you can flip em fast enough its no problem.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I have a Weber gas mid version, it’s the bomb, totally replaced the old masport copy I had.

It came with a collapsible stand, so you can toss the whole thing in the boot of the car as opposed to needing the Ute if you want to take it to the beach or a mates house who doesn’t have a proper bbq.

I have an extra hot plate that sits in it for doing eggs or tomatoes or bacon, without burning them.

You do need to change tactics to make them work well though, first always preheat them, second cook with the lid down and don’t do the typical kiwi turn and turn and turn, just set, forget, turn over, done, simple delicious, would never go back...

A mate (who happens to be a chef) uses a charcoal version, his tastes better but takes at least an hour to get up and running, mine takes 10 mins.

Only problem I have is it’s hard to clean the inside of the lid...

GWH
    The baby Q is getting some use while camping, piece of beef scotch fillet last night with a flakey sea salt crust.

Nailed it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Dreamer likes this.

BBQ's

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    Looks like some great results in these pictures - do you cook on bare steel plates (flat side or ribbed side) or over the wire mesh - or do you cook on these black plastic mats - just started using a mat and saves a lot of time cleaning - but maybe restricts the heat too much - I need cooking lessons Maca - what beer do you like?
    No, just season your plate properly and then nothing sticks to it.
    Those mats are more hassle than they are worth!
    Give it a quick 15 second scrape with a putty knife after use while it’s hot and that’s all the cleaning you need to do.

Once it has a good season you can cook oil free, I do pancakes straight on the plate dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."