Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Bed Roll / Sleeping Mat. Suggestions and experiances

Exped synmat over the down mat. Ive got 2, awesome mats and good value here. Equivelent specs to the thermarest but cheaper and less noisey.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @Ryan_Songhurst what rating sleeping bag would you recommend going with neo air venture, don't plan on sleeping on the snow in the southern alps . Currently looking at the halo -10 or halo light -3. only reason is i can walk in to local and get bag and mat.
    95% use north island but are coming down south in march fly/tent but might come a regular thing.
    -10 man. Ive had -5 in the in the kaimanawas in march. If you only get the one then go for the warmer option for sure

+1 for Exped. I've had the synmat 9 LW for years and it's been awesome. Yes it is a lot heavier than some other mats but I prefer to get a warm and comfortable night sleep after a long day or days out. The extra 400gr tbh is fk all in the grand scheme of things compared to being tired or sore from a bad/cold night sleep.

Also this is a very warm mat and in my experience you are far better off with a decent mat than sleeping bag. You will loss all your heat through a sh*t mat regardless of how good/temp rating your bag has.
    erniec and Rees like this.

hi, my 2c.
    if you wanta great night sleep the Xpeds 9 is a ripper!! however- if it is lightest weight you want then the Xped does take up a little room (mine being Long X Wide) thick model, an weighs around 1.1kg........ but is -20 odd rated and warm an comfy as you could expect.

i should proberly look into those neo air, light as buggery skinny things which would just make my pack a little lighter and more spacious--
    now ive used thexped alot i couldnt imagine not having it in the tent though, ideally a vehicle based or short trek mat, whereas the other brands thinner models are the go for long pack full treks.

cheers

Hey, the Klymit Static V Lightweight Sleeping Pad is the device that I use, its superfluity contrasted with whatever else I've attempted. It was the first, I am happy to use that which is engineered, overly warm, insane small or lightweight and durable but be careful the commotion.

I use the thermarest neo air. Blardy good apart from the leaking nozzle. Goes down about bang on 3:30am every morning so I give her a bit of cpr and it last another 5 hours. The leaking nozzle ive seen on two other thermarest neo airs ,buggered if i know. They good though .

I seem to recall reading that if your mat has a insulation or R value of less than 5 it is a heat sink and you will drag warmth away from your body. Ok in summer but not when it gets really cold.

Recently bought a mat for a older macpac bag that uses the mat to insulate the bottom of the bay and down just on the top of you. Good test for a pad!

Sea to summit have some light comfy pads that have good R values. A bit over $200 here if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thermarest Xtherm (square model) is good, I rate it.

Also Klymit are great and a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I got told at the time I bought it one tip - if you leave it in your tent during the day when you go out hunting it can heat up in the sunshine and expand with possible bursting results

I don't know how true this is but I just let a bit of air out when I am away in the morning
    Yep definitely true! If summer hunting make sure you deflate your matt before you leave for the day.

MSL
    https://www.outdooraction.co.nz/prod...SABEgJiLPD_BwE
    This is good if you like minimalist travel. I’ve used it all seasons bar winter.