Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Best prices on Quantum Pulsar Thermal Devices

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I am not stirring the pot here, but can someone tell me what all these thermal imagers are being used for in the hunting sense?
    I am picking that it is not for rec shooting of bunnys or possums as the price is quite hefty compared to a decent spotlight etc.

I noticed when I re did my doc permit that the conditions now exclude the use of artificial light sources etc, as well as spotlights, and even found carrying such on doc blocks could lead to trouble.

I have had a play with a thermal imager, thanks to Yukon, and they are a great piece of gear.
    We sell Pulsar Quantum hand-held thermals to mainly hunters and pest controllers, as well as to Coastguard NZ and helicopter rescue trusts. It's a good all-rounder that can be used evening, night, and morning, and throughout the day as long as there is no full sunlight.

The Pulsar Apex thermal sights are bought by hunters and pest controllers. Thermal riflescopes are more of a luxury for hunting, but more of a necessity for pest controlling.

Spotlights are poor against spooking animals, whereas they have no defense against a thermal.

The use of thermals and night vision is permitted on DOC land, as long as it isn't used for the purpose of hunting at night. I got on to DOC as soon as this issue was raised, and here is a link to my communication with them:

Yukon Optics New Zealand and Pulsar night vision, thermal image, and daylight optics.. Night vision systems, binoculars, goggles, spotting scopes, thermal imagers, riflescopes, rifle sights, range finders. For outdoor recreation, boating, hunting, fi
    BobGibson likes this.

Pm sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

That communication from DOC sounds like a big can of worms to me.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

That communication from DOC sounds like a big can of worms to me.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by BobGibson View Post
    Who has these for the best price?
    We try to keep the prices the same throughout New Zealand. Some dealers stock and actively hold demonstration evenings, and I would not like a situation where they do all the work, and another dealer picks up the sale through price only. We do offer a 7% discount for forum members though, but only through our Foco-Optik dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Why?
    For openers, the only legit reason I can think of for carrying thermal imaging gear on DOC land, would possibly be to help track a freshly downed animal.
    I do not believe they are of any use in finding ones way to camp. Torch is way way easier to use.
    How do they propose to police this weak policy anyway?
    Anyone they find with such gear now has a cast iron get-out if they were using or intending to use it to effectively `spotlight`

I guess you have a commercial interest to try and protect, which is the reason for you contacting DOC.
    I am very surprised you got a climb down from them.
    deer243 likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

The hours of the day at which you can legally shoot animals on doc land are clearly established. If you shoot outside those hours you are breaking the rules. Using a thermal or not.
    Yukon and res like this.

So you get called aside walking out of a DOC block one morning, with your prize stag on your back, and thermal image gear in your pack.
    ~I only used it to find the dead deer officer.....honest~
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Clearly the rules are in place so theres no hunting during darkness as stated on the permit. I find its hard to believe theres going to be no problem having thermal imaging gear on you if you walking out in the middle of the night in a DOC block and get checked by a DOC officer.. Really, rifle over your shoulder, no mag in etc and you be sweet? If that was the case there be no problem if i did the same with a spotlight as i forgot my torch......... ... My mate wanted to go into a DOC block and spotlight without a rifle to see the animal numbers and show his son some deer....DOC advice thats not a good option due to the fact that if he was caught whats not to say he hid his rifle in the bush. i somehow doubt you going to have no problems if theres a crack down in a area and you got thermal imaging gear on you and a rifle in darkness....just saying
    Pengy likes this.

Listened to Parliament the other night [dont ask] they were discussing new legislation for Doc and Fisheries,probadly about time as the old one goes back to 1950s.There new powers will be quiet strong with some of it involving the search and surviellance legislation that came in 2012 i think.

@akaroa1 pm sent to ya, sounds like we need to meet up and work out what toys we have between us!

Walking in the middle of the night would be hard to justify indeed, but walking back to you hut on the evening of your hunt or getting up a few hours before first light to reach your favourite spot in time, who on the forum has not done that? Every duck hunter reach their maimai and get ready with loaded shotgun before the legal hour.
    And if you spot your animal before the legal hour in the morning but shoot it just after I don't see where you are breaking the law.
    Yukon and ARdave like this.

Torchs are pretty good for walking around the bush in the dark.
    I cant see how this can be policed as far as shooting after dark is concerned.
    Having played with a thermal image device for a couple of weeks, one of my concerns is that the thermal image of a human in the bush, could easily be mistaken for a large game animal. We already have idiots shooting at things that should be seen as human , and I don't see the need to add to the issue.
    In open country, and especially with cold ground etc, these things are great. But put some tight bush in the picture and form what I have seen, all you really see is a heat signature.
    BRADS and deer243 like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Torchs are pretty good for walking around the bush in the dark.
    I cant see how this can be policed as far as shooting after dark is concerned.
    Having played with a thermal image device for a couple of weeks, one of my concerns is that the thermal image of a human in the bush, could easily be mistaken for a large game animal. We already have idiots shooting at things that should be seen as human , and I don't see the need to add to the issue.
    In open country, and especially with cold ground etc, these things are great. But put some tight bush in the picture and form what I have seen, all you really see is a heat signature.
    Another hunting"" äccident"""just waiting to happening. Plus Thermal imaging and night vision scopes etc poachers would be a big factor in keeping strong sales up one would think

Thermal is best way of spotting deer, and especially good for identifying that it is a deer, not a bloke. I made DOC aware of this, and as most accidental shooting occur on land that they manage, they'ed be pretty dumb to ignore this fact.