Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Best prices on Quantum Pulsar Thermal Devices

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    As I said, I have used one as well, and so long as the subject was in relatively open ground and there was a distinct temp dif between subject and ambient, all very good . Once bush etc was introduced, things became a little vague.
    I am simply concerned that there is an element out there who will take the opportunity to misuse the technology. A spot lighter is pretty easy to, erm. spot. Someone using thermal technology after dark is not.
    I think the issue of judging backstop when using them to shoot could present problems too
    They are certainly best in cooler conditions, and in the absence of direct sunlight. This affects how far into foliage you can see. Judging background is safer with thermal than NV systems, spotlights etc. I shoot quite a bit around stock when pesting and find a thermal invaluable for spotting targets, and seeing anything in the background, though knowing the lie of the land is important, such as hedges etc. I don't think that there is any single foolproof method for safe shooting, more a combination of factors that result in a shot being taken.

Quote Originally Posted by BobGibson View Post
    I used one in the bush on Stewart Island and had no trouble identifying the profile of a whitetail at around 60m looking through some pretty dense scrub in daylight
    One day I hope to experience that for myself! It won't be this year though. Did you get anything?

Go there every year for a week usually average two per trip.
    I got the one I picked up in the thermals but took several attempts to pick him up in the scope.
    Without the thermals I would have walked past it.
    Hunting is relaxing just like Yoga except I get to kill something.
    If it Flies it dies and if it hops it drops.

Quote Originally Posted by BobGibson View Post
    Go there every year for a week usually average two per trip.
    I got the one I picked up in the thermals but took several attempts to pick him up in the scope.
    Without the thermals I would have walked past it.
    We'll have to sell you into a thermal scope! I've experience that problem myself many times, especially rabbiting in tussock and long grass. I could see the buggers clearly through the thermal, but they were invisible through my scope. Very frustrating. Another time I was invited for a night hunt on a private forestry block, and I picked up a young stag lying up in some dense undergrowth below me at around 100m. I used a Pulsar Forward attachment on my scope, but when I brought it up to take a shot, all I could see was tall grasses and twigs around 10 m from where I was standing, I had to climb a pile of forestry waste branches and twigs to take the shot, which was pretty noisy, and a bit wobbly underfoot. The stag must have felt safe enough to stay put.

Not that keen on targeting animals with thermals. I much prefer locating then stalking old school way.
    I think of thermals as a tool a bit like a dog that helps you locate game.
    veitnamcam, Yukon, Pengy and 3 others like this.
    Hunting is relaxing just like Yoga except I get to kill something.
    If it Flies it dies and if it hops it drops.

I think if/when I can afford a thermal unit I will get a scope with qd mounts so I can have the best of both worlds

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk
    Yukon likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

To add some perspective to this debate, I was shown something last week which was really disturbing.

A client popped around to grab a new power lead, he uses a Pulsar Quantum and a Pulsar Apex for shooting deer on various farms, and selling the meat. He bought the gear last November, and has using it hard-out, shooting over 200 deer. But during our chat, he showed me a PDF map of DOC's planned 1080 campaign. The map was split into red = definate, blue = maybe, yellow = not at all. The red was just about everywhere. I mainly looked at my own area, and it started at the top of the Kahurangi, and spread right down to include Fiordland. He told me that he had access to this map because he is licensed to sell venison for human consumption.

So here we are, debating the rights and wrongs of a tiny minority, when our Department of Conservation are planning to wipe-out deer en masse, and in the process, kill thousands of protected birds. It's bloody shocking.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    To add some perspective to this debate, I was shown something last week which was really disturbing.

A client popped around to grab a new power lead, he uses a Pulsar Quantum and a Pulsar Apex for shooting deer on various farms, and selling the meat. He bought the gear last November, and has using it hard-out, shooting over 200 deer. But during our chat, he showed me a PDF map of DOC's planned 1080 campaign. The map was split into red = definate, blue = maybe, yellow = not at all. The red was just about everywhere. I mainly looked at my own area, and it started at the top of the Kahurangi, and spread right down to include Fiordland. He told me that he had access to this map because he is licensed to sell venison for human consumption.

So here we are, debating the rights and wrongs of a tiny minority, when our Department of Conservation are planning to wipe-out deer en masse, and in the process, kill thousands of protected birds. It's bloody shocking.
    Any chance of posting up the mapping?

I don't have it, it was on his cellphone.

Apparently there is going to be a big 1080 drop off over pureora soon.
    Any body heard of it?

Have picked up a thermal Scope, just got it mounted
    Pulsar XD50 very impressed
    Clearly watching deer feed all around us.
    Out to 1100 yards no worries.
    Cool bit of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Any chance of posting up the mapping?
    If there is a map then you can get your hands on through the freedom of information act.
    DOC is a government office and if it's printed by them then they can't deny giving it to you

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    If there is a map then you can get your hands on through the freedom of information act.
    DOC is a government office and if it's printed by them then they can't deny giving it to you
    Official information: Your right to know
    Here you go

Making a request is simple:

Contact the Minister, department, organisation or local authority (Mayor, councillor or council staff ) concerned and ask for the information;
    Be as specific as you can in identifying what information you are looking for;
    Requests are best made in writing, but you can ask for the information in person or by telephone too; and
    Keep a note of when, how and who you made your request to (and keep a copy of any requests made in writing).

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Have picked up a thermal Scope, just got it mounted
    Pulsar XD50 very impressed
    Clearly watching deer feed all around us.
    Out to 1100 yards no worries.
    Cool bit of kit.
    How are you getting on with it? Shot many?

I used the XD75 on a .223 a few weeks back, shooting rabbits and wallabies in tussock. It was great fun, need to go back for another go :-)