Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree25Likes
  • 20 Post By Stag
  • 3 Post By Ranger 888
  • 1 Post By Dicko
  • 1 Post By Stag

Thread: Big Agnes Sleeping Mat - Game Changer

Big Agnes Sleeping Mat - Game Changer

I have never slept well in the hills as always uncomfortable. Purchased a neo air some years ago thinking that was the solution, it’s a slippery, narrow bloody thing. Still wins on all accounts for weight and packed size.

Carried on my research and came across the new Big Agnes Rapide SL Insulated Wide Regular mat. At 680grms it was double the weight, very good insulation at R4.2 and it’s nice and wide.

Tried it out last week in the hills, tent was on a slope, lad on the neo air was tucked up at the bottom of the tent, the Big Anges did not slip, I didn’t slip on top and gee I had the best sleep ever, being wide made all the difference. If your over 95 kegs you will know what I mean.

Pack size is quite small and I would never hesitate on the extra weight for comfort. The inflation sac it comes with is shit so purchased the ‘new improved’ inflation sac and its excellent.

Just thought I would share as it’s been a long journey finding the perfect lay.

Yep, ya wouldn't want to slip off Big Agnes...
    Stag, csmiffy and dannyb like this.

Had the same sort of moment (I’ve finally found it) with the Sea to Summit comfort insulated UL if you need a back up plan. R4 also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    I have never slept well in the hills as always uncomfortable. Purchased a neo air some years ago thinking that was the solution, it’s a slippery, narrow bloody thing. Still wins on all accounts for weight and packed size.

Carried on my research and came across the new Big Agnes Rapide SL Insulated Wide Regular mat. At 680grms it was double the weight, very good insulation at R4.2 and it’s nice and wide.

Tried it out last week in the hills, tent was on a slope, lad on the neo air was tucked up at the bottom of the tent, the Big Anges did not slip, I didn’t slip on top and gee I had the best sleep ever, being wide made all the difference. If your over 95 kegs you will know what I mean.

Pack size is quite small and I would never hesitate on the extra weight for comfort. The inflation sac it comes with is shit so purchased the ‘new improved’ inflation sac and its excellent.

Just thought I would share as it’s been a long journey finding the perfect lay.
    100% ive had rooters neo air for the last few years . Just got a Klymit mat for Charlie . I ended up on it myself . Wide comfortable dont slip off . Insulated . Weighs 680gms and a bit bulkier but worth it. Oh and I take a blow up pillow now. What a difference that makes .
    https://www.outfittersstore.nz/produ...lated-static-v

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Oh and I take a blow up pillow now. What a difference that makes .
    https://www.outfittersstore.nz/produ...lated-static-v
    Got the pillow also, wouldn’t go without. Good to hear the young fella is getting amongst it.
    Nathan F likes this.

These mats look great, but damn pricey. Has anyone bought a sleeping mat like this off aliexpress? I use aliexpress a lot, and get some really nice stuff at good prices. Very efficient shipping usually, and have never had anything not turn up or be totally crap. But I do research pretty thoroughly.
    The last item I bought was a Blackview rugged phone for about NZ$400. So far it's been great, and does everything your fancy brand phones do at triple the price

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffle View Post
    These mats look great, but damn pricey. Has anyone bought a sleeping mat like this off aliexpress? I use aliexpress a lot, and get some really nice stuff at good prices. Very efficient shipping usually, and have never had anything not turn up or be totally crap. But I do research pretty thoroughly.
    The last item I bought was a Blackview rugged phone for about NZ$400. So far it's been great, and does everything your fancy brand phones do at triple the price
    Hunt around offshore and it’s about 1/2 the price here