Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Binoculars?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    If you are hunting open tops then get 10x42's, if you are hunting broken country and more bush with shorter sight lines then get 8x42's. It is counter productive to buy shit bino's because you will not enjoy looking through them, therefore you won't use them much at all, then whats the point having them?

Redfield Rebels are the same as Leupold Arcadia's in quality - crap. May look okay in a shop with good lighting, but don't cut the mustard in the field, (from experience with having used/trialled a lot of different bino's over the years). Minimum I would recommend is Leupold Cascades. Speaking from experience, for every $100 you spend (up to approx $1k) you get significantly better optics, after the $1k mark the quality difference vs additional costs reduces.

When looking at optics in a store, try and do it when the light outside is fading (i.e. closing time through winter). Take them outside (with the salesman) and look into the shadows and try and make out objects, the further away the better as looking at something 20m across the road won't show you enough of a difference. You will soon tell which ones are quality and which are not.

Also Looking at one point through binoculars in the store is very different to scanning a hillside. Move them around as you are trying them (as if you are searching), you will soon see that a lot of the $300 bino's will have quite a lot of divergence around the outside edges of the lenses and your viewing picture will distort a lot as you scan. This will cause a lot of strain on your eyes and lead to headaches.

You don't need to spend $1000's on bino's ($500 will get you a very good pair comparative to $ spent). But the difference between $300 and $500 is substantial. Save just a little longer...

my 2c worth (and rant of the day over)

I use some Bushnell 10x42s. They were about $420 and do the trick fine. I will upgrade when the bank allows but no rush.
    What these guys say is true, the difference between a pair of $300 vs $600 and the from $600 to $900 is phenomenal. HOWEVER, cheap (at least $300, otherwise not worth it) binos are definitely better than none if your finances really won't allow for more. I have popped many many animals with my set and am in no rush to upgrade. A friend of mine has some redfield rebels and since purchasing he has had 300% more luck than with no binos.
    If you can - save and get some goodies, if things are tight then there are some entry level binos that will set you up nicely.
    Try and find some middle ground from what these old pro's say, they're right most of the time but not all the time
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    No offense but i've never seen a deer in the shop at 300m plus. Only way to get a decent gauge of their worth is to take them outside and compare against things in the distance.
    Well Ill be, In all the years I never thought to step outside the shop doors..... Maybe i should have explained my post better for those that need things spelled out.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Well Ill be, In all the years I never thought to step outside the shop doors..... Maybe i should have explained my post better for those that need things spelled out.
    Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    try to find some Zen-Rays over seas, try camerlandny.com, from what ive read these are the best bang for buck binos in the lower price range

+1 couldn't recommend highly enough, theyre as good as anything in the -1000$ price range

OK looks like I'll hold out a bit longer and find some Zen-Rays or similar. Thank you all for the great information, saved me wasting my money!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Banned
    I have a pair of Konus 10 x 40's they are the budget brand from Lica,$250 bucks and ive never had a negative comment from anyone on them even guys using the geovids.They would be the best entry binos going IMO And not to exspensive and awesome back up binos when you do upgrade but you wont be in a hurry if you have these

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeLust View Post
    OK looks like I'll hold out a bit longer and find some Zen-Rays or similar. Thank you all for the great information, saved me wasting my money!

Have look at the Konus first don't take internet talk as gospel see for yourself.
    LifeLust likes this.

Thanks I will check them out m8

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Have look at the Konus first don't take internet talk as gospel see for yourself.
    http://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/Kon...42Titanium.htm

These the ones?

I haven't bought any yet because i dont wanna skimp (too much) I'm in a similar boat to you i guess wanting a first pair but not wanting to pay the earth.. I've got some use of my father inlaws ancient pentax 10x atm but i may a swell cup my hands together and look through them at dusk and dawn. The Zen-rays do rate very very well I must say for the price point. Zen-Ray ED3 demo units are $369US probably be a little less then 5 hundy to the door.? Something to look at.

Leupold 111741, BX-2 Cascades Binocular 10x42mm Roof

There ya go mate, these will do you for now, anybody tried the nikon monarch 10x42s?
    veitnamcam likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeLust View Post
    Konus 10x42mm Titanium Binoculars - Hunting and Outdoor Supplies.

These the ones?

Yep they are the ones.if you have time cruse around the hunting shops and try shitloads out.When I work in H n F and guys come in looking at binos I give them every pair we have in the shop we go out side and they try them out,and weather they buy or not it gives them a real good idea on what they want.
    veitnamcam, Toby, LifeLust and 1 others like this.

I got a pair of Vanguard Endevour 10.5x45. I think they are awesome and have had a lot of positive feedback from other guys about them.
    Got them off Amazon - highly recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    if you have time cruse around the hunting shops and try shitloads out.
    Good advice there - not only does everyone have different eyes that prefer different things, but (especially with cheaper ones) there can be a bit of variation among supposedly identical binos as well.