Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Bivvy bags vs bivvy tents

Bivvy bags vs bivvy tents

G’day team, looking at getting either one of these and checking peoples experiences and views on them! Let me know ya thoughts!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie boy View Post
    G’day team, looking at getting either one of these and checking peoples experiences and views on them! Let me know ya thoughts!

Thanks!
    What for, where and when ?
    XR500 likes this.

do you sleep in sleeping bag with head inside the hoodie with drawstring drawn??? are you claustrophobic???
    do you roll around in your sleep much???
    Cordite likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

unless your sleeping only in nice weather or under trees i suggest a tent. or lighter tarp. bivi bags tend to collect a lot of moisture

I almost exclusively use a tarp and Bivvy bag when solo. Doesn't save much weight vs my tent (a cuben fibre thing). But can setup anywhere i can lie down.

Just a tarp i find is a bit average if it actually rains as any wind means you end up with a wet bag. Or even strong winds can flap the fly and shake condensation on to you.
    A bivvy bag on its own is no good if it rains as if you actually breath into it you end up wet.
    A tarp and bivvy bag where your head in out of the bag is the best combination and i actually have less condensation issues than a tent as the bag is protected from the flys condensation.

Too warm a bag can also cause bivvy bag condensation too.

This is my summer setup
    Name:  20220123_062138.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  2.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    I almost exclusively use a tarp and Bivvy bag when solo. Doesn't save much weight vs my tent (a cuben fibre thing). But can setup anywhere i can lie down.

Just a tarp i find is a bit average if it actually rains as any wind means you end up with a wet bag. Or even strong winds can flap the fly and shake condensation on to you.
    A bivvy bag on its own is no good if it rains as if you actually breath into it you end up wet.
    A tarp and bivvy bag where your head in out of the bag is the best combination and i actually have less condensation issues than a tent as the bag is protected from the flys condensation.

Too warm a bag can also cause bivvy bag condensation too.

This is my summer setup
    Attachment 212623
    Looks good Stocky. What bivvy bag are you running? Have a nz army one which weighs 1kg from memory. Bomb proof but heavy.
    Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    Looks good Stocky. What bivvy bag are you running? Have a nz army one which weighs 1kg from memory. Bomb proof but heavy.
    An Outdoor research helium without the pole as if you use it you end up breathing into it and getting more condensation. Mines been perfect I just leave my pad and sleeping bag inside and stuff it into my pack. Makes for a camp quick setup. Would love to figure a way to get a lighter bivvy sack but cantbseem to find anything lighter and still actually waterproof. Quilt on it's way should cut down a bit of weight though.

Gkp
    Bivy tents are crap. Condensate then freeze!
    The amount of times I woke up either soaking wet or frozen was stupid.
    Have hunted a lot with a fly when I know the weather is ok. Way better

Ned
    I've only tried this twice now. Handles condensation fine off the tarp. Not tried in rain yet.
    NZ$ 34.63 30%OFF | 3f ul gear Tyvek sleeping bag cover liner waterproof Bivy Bag
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr5OpBM

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Bush east coast north island and or tops or close to tops round the Hunter River, around April, obviously got to be cautious with conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    do you sleep in sleeping bag with head inside the hoodie with drawstring drawn??? are you claustrophobic???
    do you roll around in your sleep much???
    Depends how cold it is, but if she’s chilly then yep. Head in sleeping back. Nah not claustrophobic at all. And roll a little bit.

Twin needle are doing tarps again if that’s of any interest to you

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    I've only tried this twice now. Handles condensation fine off the tarp. Not tried in rain yet.
    NZ$ 34.63 30%OFF | 3f ul gear Tyvek sleeping bag cover liner waterproof Bivy Bag
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr5OpBM

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    I have one of these, I find my down bag get quire damp on the outside from using it. It may be due t the bag filling the cover too much? No air movement.

Depends how cold it is, but if she’s chilly then yep. Head in sleeping back. Nah not claustrophobic at all. And roll a little bit.
    Head in sleeping bag is pretty much a no go with a bivvy bag as you will end up soaked from condensation. Up the hunter in April can be pretty bloody cold. I'd use my setup but makes use I have a good bag and insulated matt.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Ive tried bivvy bag and small early bivy tent and ended up sleeping with top half of body out in open..was just too cramed for my.... simple fly set up and also heavy old NZ Army sleeping bag cover does what I need it too..its amazing just how much warmer I sleep with the cover over top of bag.
    75/15/10 black powder matters