Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By Makros
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 3 Post By NZ32
  • 1 Post By jim160
  • 3 Post By NZ32
  • 1 Post By Skeet

Thread: Black Powder Rifle Dilemma

Black Powder Rifle Dilemma

Now I always new what I wanted, that being the Hawkens / Great Plains style Rifle, as I just prefer that profile over say the long stock look*of a Kentucky Rifles etc. Ive been looking arround and my choices have now been narrowed to 2 Riffles.
    The Pedersoli TRADITIONAL HAWKEN HUNTER .50CAL or the LYMAN GREAT PLAINS RIFLE 50CAL.

I've got to be honest I'm leaning more towards the Lyman just bases of more of an authentic look and no flash brass shiny bits.

Comments, Concerns, Suggestions and or Alternative Rifle ideas very much Welcomed.

Shiny brass will tarnish, brass was used a lot, it's easy to cast and work and doesn't rust so non wear parts often used it, patch boxes, trigger guards etc.
    You won't be disappointed with either I'm picking, but if appearance is important a cat skin cap may be required. Just remove "Mr friskies" coller first
    Skeet, 308 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Shiny brass will tarnish, brass was used a lot, it's easy to cast and work and doesn't rust so non wear parts often used it, patch boxes, trigger guards etc.
    You won't be disappointed with either I'm picking, but if appearance is important a cat skin cap may be required. Just remove "Mr friskies" coller first
    yes dont let the old girl next door see it she might recognise Mr Friskie by colour yuk yuk

I would discount the Lyman simply because it has a 1 in 60" twist which I assume will limit you to round ball.
    The 1 in 24" twist of the Pedersoli surely gives a better versatility in bullets and balls.
    Skeet and Marty Henry like this.

Pedersoli or look for a Enfield replica in 57 cal. Bigger calibres are easier to load, clean and hurt more with a bigger bang for your money
    Skeet likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yes dont let the old girl next door see it she might recognise Mr Friskie by colour yuk yuk
    Lol. Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    I would discount the Lyman simply because it has a 1 in 60" twist which I assume will limit you to round ball.
    The 1 in 24" twist of the Pedersoli surely gives a better versatility in bullets and balls.
    Good point thanks Makros.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Lol, Cat Skin Hat ah. Hmmmmmm that puts a new spin on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeet View Post
    Now I always new what I wanted, that being the Hawkens / Great Plains style Rifle, as I just prefer that profile over say the long stock look*of a Kentucky Rifles etc. Ive been looking arround and my choices have now been narrowed to 2 Riffles.
    The Pedersoli TRADITIONAL HAWKEN HUNTER .50CAL or the LYMAN GREAT PLAINS RIFLE 50CAL.

I've got to be honest I'm leaning more towards the Lyman just bases of more of an authentic look and no flash brass shiny bits.

Comments, Concerns, Suggestions and or Alternative Rifle ideas very much Welcomed.
    I have this Pedersoli if your interested, 50cal not sure on the twist. No flashy brass bits

Name:  350387361_995901254906031_3669980937389255692_n.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  250.1 KB
    GSP HUNTER, Maca49 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ32 View Post
    I have this Pedersoli if your interested, 50cal not sure on the twist. No flashy brass bits

Attachment 225615
    What's the barrel length. And what a clean bench.
    I wish mine was that tidy. Actually I wish I could find the bench.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jim160 View Post
    What's the barrel length. And what a clean bench.
    I wish mine was that tidy. Actually I wish I could find the bench.
    32in from the muzzle to just in front of the nipple. I put a rod down it and its a 1:40 twist. Comes with a peep sight too but don't have the right one for the front, a rod and a mold (ball and real 0.490), box of hornady .490 balls, and will throw in some caps to make it go bang. After $900

Thats the tidy bit of the bench.....
    Maca49, 308 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ32 View Post

Attachment 225615
    PM Sent.
    Marty Henry likes this.