Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Axe handles

Axe handles

Ok - axe handles.

Who has a decent stock of the good ones - like the imported Columbia brand from the states? They have a decent size to the haft so they can actually be shaped down enough to fit a full size head like a Plumb, Kelly or Hytest with the 60x24mm oval eye...

I used to get them from the local emporium store but they've run out, and the local hardware shops like Mitre10 seem to just have the locally made ones that are 90cm handles with a haft that fits a hatchet head. It's a bit ridiculous, I have never seen an axe head with an eye that small (45mm by 16mm) even on the imported Chinese cheap stuff. The outfit that makes them has shaped them way too much, should have left them a straight oval rather than taking them down to the tiny oval they are now. Not that bad a piece of wood as far as handles go too which makes it all the more disappointing.

I'm not really set up to quickly make handles from a chunk of tree and most of my chunks of tree are 30cm long for fitting into a firebox haha. Now I guess I could use a chainsaw and hack a piece out of the remains of a bloody dense fir I have here, but it seems a little bit less than traditional.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Ok - axe handles.

Who has a decent stock of the good ones - like the imported Columbia brand from the states? They have a decent size to the haft so they can actually be shaped down enough to fit a full size head like a Plumb, Kelly or Hytest with the 60x24mm oval eye...

I used to get them from the local emporium store but they've run out, and the local hardware shops like Mitre10 seem to just have the locally made ones that are 90cm handles with a haft that fits a hatchet head. It's a bit ridiculous, I have never seen an axe head with an eye that small (45mm by 16mm) even on the imported Chinese cheap stuff. The outfit that makes them has shaped them way too much, should have left them a straight oval rather than taking them down to the tiny oval they are now. Not that bad a piece of wood as far as handles go too which makes it all the more disappointing.

I'm not really set up to quickly make handles from a chunk of tree and most of my chunks of tree are 30cm long for fitting into a firebox haha. Now I guess I could use a chainsaw and hack a piece out of the remains of a bloody dense fir I have here, but it seems a little bit less than traditional.
    I know the racing boys used kanuka years ago but I was told selection of the kanuka was key to a good one - likely lost art
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Ok - axe handles.

not being stupid - what about steel pipe - shape with pipe bender - heat and flatten to get nice shape to hold - weld head on- ya wont break it
    pennyless likes this.

MSL
    I was buying them from tuatahi. They turn them in-house for their racing axes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    duckdog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    not being stupid - what about steel pipe - shape with pipe bender - heat and flatten to get nice shape to hold - weld head on- ya wont break it
    After I broke the wooden handle on a sledge hammer I replaced it with a length of water pie.
    It was the most hideous thing to use. Hurt my hands like hell due to jarring. So even if wood seems solid it still gives a cushioning effect. The water pipe didn't.
    OK for occasional use only.
    7mmwsm likes this.

I've got same problem. Full size axe & I like a slightly shorter handle. Good luck with that.
    Best place has been Wrightsons. But eye is pretty marginal & no 34 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I was buying them from tuatahi. They turn them in-house for their racing axes.

I have a Tuatahi work axe and can vouch for their handles. They have a rather larger throat, grip and knob than most. It makes for a very comfortable axe. They use hickory.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    After I broke the wooden handle on a sledge hammer I replaced it with a length of water pie.
    It was the most hideous thing to use. Hurt my hands like hell due to jarring. So even if wood seems solid it still gives a cushioning effect. The water pipe didn't.
    I did not say it would be comfortable - but we did put a few with pipe handles out at remote huts many years ago when we got pissed of with trampers continually breaking handles ( note I did not blame hunters and yes racist of me ) they lasted but the blade thats another story

Funny how it goes ah.

I broke the handle on my lump hammer.

Replaced it wit a bit of the broken axe handle !

Hickory I think so no jarring

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Funny how it goes ah.

I broke the handle on my lump hammer.

Replaced it wit a bit of the broken axe handle !

Hickory I think so no jarring

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    What happened to the bins of American Hickory axe handles and wedges that hardware shops used to have.

Check out leech wood products they’re a small handle manufacturing co just south of Christchurch but I think there’s another crowd near Auckland doing similar.
    Micky Duck likes this.

What happened to the bins of American Hickory axe handles and wedges that hardware shops used to have.
    what happened to the bloody good old hardware shops

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcity View Post
    I have a Tuatahi work axe and can vouch for their handles. They have a rather larger throat, grip and knob than most. It makes for a very comfortable axe. They use hickory.
    They are also relatively short compared to most of those available, which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    what happened to the bloody good old hardware shops
    That is the question!! Have been doing the rounds in Dunedin and Invers and having no joy finding hatchet or rake/hoe handles. Two full sized axe handles and some sledge handles in Mitre10 Invers but that’s it. Having been keeping an eye out whenever I’m in the big smokes but nothing for months.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Go bush and find a good stand of Manuka and harvest your own. My favourite sledgy has a 60cm Manuka handle, its awesome, Has a bit of texture to give good grip and it isn't slippery when it gets wet.
    Moa Hunter, kukuwai and RV1 like this.