Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Boot care

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

Boot care

Does anyone still nugget and shine there leather hunting boots. I do

Then when waxing or whatever water proof method you use do you put it on under or over the nuggeting.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Puffin sent me some dubbin he made up...it goes on the bare leather and I LEAVE IT AT THAT.... same with other dubbins,havent used nugget as such for years.

Yep Dubbin bought from Mitre10 when I remember to do them

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Hmm old I guess, suppose that's what you mean.

Been using nugget on leather shoes since my mother made me clean my school shoes as a 5yr old in the 60's
    Used to use bees wax on the hunting boots but was never sure whether to wax over or under so waxed under
    Have the fancy dubbin stuff now and it occurred to me to wonder what others do

I guess others don't nugget.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

tanners oil can make stiff old boots like new...but you can over do it and leave them not stiff enough... neatfoot oil was the go when I was on the farm....worked really well. pretty sure you can still get it... dry boots,oilem up,sit in sun,oil them up again, then nugget over the top would be ideal way to do it.
    I have a pair of "Sarvo boots" that get an absolute thrashing....and get worn this time of year as not as hot as my racing ashleys...... the whole ashley thing is why I seldome do oiling of boots anymore,I wear the steelcapped version at work because fertilizer stuffs leather boots very quickly.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Nugget used to be good for boots, back in the day when whale oil was an ingredient. Man you could get some shine on your 'spits' with that stuff. New nugget just aint the same

Go easy on the oils, useful stuff in modest quantities, but even just a bit too much (as MD aludes to) and the leather loses its' inherent stiffness and you can walk your boots out of shape. Dubbin/waxes, esp bees wax made softer with propolis etc are the better go to keep leather from cracking, and waterproof...till they're not.
    (wify makes horse saddles, so have learnt through osmosis )
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Gregor Chemie cream is what I use.
    There's a reason boot manufacturers remove the oils out of the leather. So why put it back in with a oil based polish etc?

Here's a good link from Lowa.....

https://lowa.co.nz/pages/boot-care
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Yeah, that'll be why a pair of $700 Lowas lasts 18 months. Shit boots for massive coin.
    Mine have lasted 5 years so far with extended use. Not sure what you're doing to yours.
    cambo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Mine have lasted 5 years so far with extended use. Not sure what you're doing to yours.
    Same
    cambo likes this.

I running a pair of Grisport Hikers at the moment 2 years in and still going great and I'm not the best at boot care either.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Hmm old I guess, suppose that's what you mean.

Been using nugget on leather shoes since my mother made me clean my school shoes as a 5yr old in the 60's
    Used to use bees wax on the hunting boots but was never sure whether to wax over or under so waxed under
    Have the fancy dubbin stuff now and it occurred to me to wonder what others do

I guess others don't nugget.
    Last time I used nugget was on some else’s balls?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Yeah, that'll be why a pair of $700 Lowas lasts 18 months. Shit boots for massive coin.
    My boots are over 9yrs old and going well. Hunt in them almost every weekend. Look after them and they last well.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

I must admit I don't do much with my boots .
    Leather but waterproof/breathable lining so can't wax them or it blocks the pores in the leather and they cease to breathe .
    I will give them a quick wash at the last creek before the truck and when home take inner sole out so they can dry in the shed until the next wander .
    But I use snowseal or beeswax otherwise .
    Shearer likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Nugget used to be good for boots, back in the day when whale oil was an ingredient. Man you could get some shine on your 'spits' with that stuff. New nugget just aint the same

Go easy on the oils, useful stuff in modest quantities, but even just a bit too much (as MD aludes to) and the leather loses its' inherent stiffness and you can walk your boots out of shape. Dubbin/waxes, esp bees wax made softer with propolis etc are the better go to keep leather from cracking, and waterproof...till they're not.
    (wify makes horse saddles, so have learnt through osmosis )
    Better put my name down on the volunteer list for the next stranding on Fairwell Spit !!

I have same issue with wide paddle feet which drastically reduces my choice of boots .
    The one's I have currently are stoney creek simply because they were all I could find that are wide enough . Lowa's were what I wanted but none fit.
    born to hunt - forced to work