Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I tried some of my bros Meindl Sport wax.. was ok .. but as per the old boys boots, it tends to build up (he uses Dubbin)
    So I did a bit of research as was going to use Snoseal.. and ALOT of guys said Nikwax was a bunch better
    Apparently allows the leather to still breathe, where any waxy types basically cover and seal, and cause your feet to sweat.

Took the plunge and grabbed some from Macpac.. you wet the boots and put it on wet which is a strange concept, and the applicator reminds me of using liquid polish on school schools years ago

ANYWAY.. to cut a long story short, the stuff is UNREAL!
    Doesnt have a shitty build up feel and water just beads straight off

Will see how it holds up

Is this it Spanners?

I tried this on my new boots after the factory waterproofing had started to go, It did OK but round the 2-3 day mark the leather was getting wet in the wear areas.
    Iv tried spray on stuff ,silicon I think(both the above in the aim of keeping the gortex stuff good) and it was brilliant as long as your boot didn't touch anything other than water. five minuets walking threw grass wiped it off.

After watching BaldBob put 3 large tubs of snow seal on each boot,in his undies and on his sandwiches I have figured bugger the gore tex if it even damages it at all and have gone back to Dubbin applied like wirehunt said pretty much.
    If you make it soak in good and proper over a couple of days it lasts for ages.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Nope.. different stuff.. Liquid Wax
    Way different stuff

Name:  nikwax-liquid-wax-for-leather-b.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  27.2 KB

Ok same instructions get wet then apply and allow to soak in and dry.
    It was pretty good just seemed to wear of where boots rubbed on grass scree etc.

Also tryed a wash in(yes thats right wash in) waterproofer on a jacket that is soppost to be waterproof but id stay dryer for longer in a old school lammy.End result worse than it was before.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Is this it Spanners?

I tried this on my new boots after the factory waterproofing had started to go, It did OK but round the 2-3 day mark the leather was getting wet in the wear areas.
    Iv tried spray on stuff ,silicon I think(both the above in the aim of keeping the gortex stuff good) and it was brilliant as long as your boot didn't touch anything other than water. five minuets walking threw grass wiped it off.

After watching BaldBob put 3 large tubs of snow seal on each boot,in his undies and on his sandwiches I have figured bugger the gore tex if it even damages it at all and have gone back to Dubbin applied like wirehunt said pretty much.
    If you make it soak in good and proper over a couple of days it lasts for ages.
    Shes damp down here tho cam you have to put a weee dollop on them haha, mine was done after 2nd day of our trip an i got wet feet..........but that might have had something to do with going throught the river alot

I use this stuff.... EZDIRECT.CO.NZ - Your Haix Distributer

I've tried a lot of boot care stuff and have ended up using Gregor Chemie now. Great stuff.

From their website....
    - Don’t use oils or leather grease with high oil content. Grease products are almost pure oil. Oils main problem with leather is over softening allowing leather fibre stretching, deforming your supportive boot and also reducing breath ability. The leather can gradually become saturated with oil and also may transfer to the Gore-tex or other type waterproof breathable functioning membranes further reducing breath ability.
    - Products that are mainly wax also may not contain enough or the correct conditioners for leather in challenging NZ conditions. Resulting in dry cracked leather or fibre shrinkage. These are the main causes of footwear failure in NZ.
    - Higher solvent content is also bad for the adhesives. Its obvious if a product has a high amount of solvent. Those gives of a strong aroma of the solvent evaporating.

Creams that have low solvent content containing a balanced ratio of conditioner and waterproofing ingredients that are more convenient to use perform the best.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh