Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Boots

Ah this is will be a large topic with so many options out there. Having farmed and hunted for last 30 years have gone through a few different brands of boots. As people have said your feet and preference change over time. Generally speaking Ive found the heavier more rigid boot will last longer than the light soft soled stalking boot. But again it depends on what you need them for. Best farming boots in my opinion for durability are gronell stelvios. These are really tough but super heavy. With hunting I'm now wearing a pair of crispi hunters. Had these for a year and good so far. First pair ive had with a higher leg. Took a bit of getting used to but rate the extra support and less water comes in when crossing creeks as the boots keep watertight around your calves better than ankles. Anyways what ever you get all id recommend is looking after them. So many people buy expensive leather boots and let them dry out and crack then complain they didn't last long. I buy a big container of neatsfoot oil and oil them every couple of weeks especially after they've been through water.

Once you’ve found a pair of boots that suit make sure you check on the online stores, they’re generally cheaper and the most competitors will be happy to match the price. Keep a record of your boot size, the size labels will wear off!

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I had Lowa Tibets. Great boots for SI tops hunting. Tried to save some money and bought Lowa Baldo but not impressed with their waterproofness, I’m going to go back to Lowa Tibets.
    I've got a pair of Lowa tibets which are just over 6 years old now. As mentioned they are quite slippery on river crossings and if you ask @Micky Duck noisy as f<ck when stalking. But I still shoot animals so can't be that bad.
    7mm Rem Mag and RV1 like this.

My Tibets have just had the sole fall off after 9 years. Great boot but won't get them again. Areas I hunt tend to have a lot of water and these boots get very heavy. Will probably go with La Sportiva, Scapa as a multi purpose boot. I don't do winter tahr trips so I don't see the point in spending $7-800 on boots.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    I've got a pair of Lowa tibets which are just over 6 years old now. As mentioned they are quite slippery on river crossings and if you ask @Micky Duck noisy as f<ck when stalking. But I still shoot animals so can't be that bad.
    noisy as fc#k when you get tired or are just tramping..when your in mouse mode you could be wearing concrete blocks and still be quieter than most..... one of these days I will tie you down and chuck a pair of ashleys on your pins....them peski fallow would be in BIG trouble then.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I've had soles come away from a pair of Lowas & Gri-sports, ended up not wanting soles that are glued on & went with Andrew Antelao's.

These have been awesome, comfortable and supportive..... Only downside for me is they are bloody heavy!

so what is a good option for someone with bad ankles (too many years of mauy thai) who stalks through wet areas? I need decent ankle support and either waterproof or really quick drying.

I've had my eye on grisport uriweras or kaikouras, or maybe a lowa something. but its pretty hard to cut through the bullshit around them so I'd appreciate some user reviews.

I rate the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400
    https://kenetrek.com/products/mountain-extreme-400

Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    so what is a good option for someone with bad ankles (too many years of mauy thai) who stalks through wet areas? I need decent ankle support and either waterproof or really quick drying.

I've had my eye on grisport uriweras or kaikouras, or maybe a lowa something. but its pretty hard to cut through the bullshit around them so I'd appreciate some user reviews.
    https://www.meindl.co.uk/product/men...dovre-extreme/

I have had a pair of these,they were really good and saved them just for reindeer hunting.BUT sitting for 10 months after using them they shrank so I gave them away. I would get another pair .
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Talk to bootsandgear.com in Taupo, they have the Bestard range of boots , very good value and stand up to plenty of abuse. Well worth a look, I really rate them having had Lowa's in the past.
    TimC and BFA like this.

Has anyone tried the new updated La Sportiva Trk? Look to be a bit heavier than the ones @Ryan_Songhurst suggested and a different outer. Any thoughts on them as a summer boot?

https://www.furtherfaster.co.nz/prod...-gore-tex-boot

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I've become a big fan of lightweight boots, the La Sportiva TRK GTX are awesome, they're as stiff as any "proper" leather boot but half the weight and they've lasted me pretty well, I've got another new pair ready to roll when these ones give up which at this rate will be a few years! Also been using the Inov8 Roklite, I had the older model a few years back but managed to misplace them somewhere and have just got the new model, super comfy and weigh nothing.
    Attachment 231842
    How long do those Inov8s last you mate?

I'm going to be doing more hunts this summer in areas that my Lowa Tibets are just massive overkill for.. definitely interested in a light and fast boot.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMax View Post
    How long do those Inov8s last you mate?

I'm going to be doing more hunts this summer in areas that my Lowa Tibets are just massive overkill for.. definitely interested in a light and fast boot.
    Well the last ones are assumed to have flown off the roof of a truck somewhere so never really got a chance to see how long they'd really last. I'd imagine lots of scree etc would be hard on them but they're made pretty well for what they are and what they weigh, they have some kind of propriety sole material also which is supposed to be super hard wearing
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.