Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Boots Boots Boots???????????

Great advice Aly, and everyone else. Aly unfortunately we don't have a shoe clinic or front runner in Oamaru, and I wouldn't trust the local shoe shop owner as he was the one who talked up the Asolo boots for a sale.I'm going to talk to the local cobbler as he is friends with a mates inlaw. Thought I had it down to either the gronell or the Andrews boots then I went to Smith's city and talked to a friend there he said that they can source hanwag boots and that the discount they can do with CRT/FARMLANDS card is significant. Anyone tryed hanwag? Gonna see wat price he can do on some triglavs then maybe get a pair to try.....thanks for all the help.... For me it is a significant investment having only one income and three kids. So want to get it right first time.

How do you stop heel lift in the ridged boots?
    I got some lowa gtx pro and even laced up as tight as possible my heel would lift inside the boot at least a 20mm, which aside from the blisters in half an hour would wear the boot out from the inside out.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

What socks you wearing VC? Shouldn't get heel lift at all.
    Decent socks like Bridgedale's with a inner sock liner may help.
    Otherwise you may have wrong boot size. Or those boots don't suit your foot shape.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    How do you stop heel lift in the ridged boots?
    I got some lowa gtx pro and even laced up as tight as possible my heel would lift inside the boot at least a 20mm, which aside from the blisters in half an hour would wear the boot out from the inside out.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    U could try another insole in ur boots to try reduce the size or perhaps a wedge of EVA or something similar under ur heels....just a thought.... Sounds like the boots are a bit on the large side or perhaps slightly wide...,just things I've picked up in the last few days
    Aly likes this.

Good wool blend socks,actually went a bit small in size to try and stop it but no.
    Possibly a bit wide, I have narrow feet.

Try talking to someone in a shoe store or a cobbler.... A cobbler can make a wee wedge for you to go under the insole..... I know this cause I have one in all my righthand shoes/ boots..... Bit of a shorter leg now....... But perhaps one in each boot, Maybe another insole or one with higher arch support but I'm just guessing..... Can't be getting around with boot slop in the hills

No that is why I sold them on after the first walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Meindl are great but do burn a pretty hole in your wallet we had this recent discussion about boots on a CUTC page and Meindl came up as a popular boot for alpine tramping and lasting.
    Another boot bran I would also recommend especially in terms of support is Zamberlans. I swear by these boots in the mountains, I've had mine for 8 years or so and not a single problem. They only look like they've been worn for a month in the hills, broke in great, fantastic heel and ankle support (and I've been wearing a kids size! about to upgrade soon on my next pair of Zamberlans, but the only store I've been able to find who stocks them are Mountain Designs.... and they're shutting up shop for good in NZ, and getting rid of all stock :/ )
    Before you make your decision it might be a good idea for you to hit up a shoe technician at a place like Shoe Clinic, or Foot Runners - and get your feet profiled for the necessary support you need. Especially with your injuries you don't want to get a boot with the wrong support - because it could be that you need a sturdy boot with arch and heel support, or the complete opposite and you actually need a boot with no support but a lot of cushioning instead. Last thing you want is to fork over the money for a boot that causes you even more pain and injury. Then after that you'll find that particular models for specific boots in a brand will have certain supports, so once you know what you need, you can look for something with that right feel and support for you

Also noting that other users who have given advice about particular brands/shoes and their faults, some people have mentioned shoes/brands but added that those boots they've had has a particular fault over a certain number of years; just wanna let you know that almost every year shoe designers and brands update their technology on the models of boots. So a model that was bought 5 years ago, it's 2014 version will have 5 years of updated technology (generally fixing any faults of the past and improve sole/cushioning units) not discrediting anyone's advice but just sharing some information if it helps your decision making

Hope this helps.
    Source: I work at a shoe store and hiking boots are my assigned specialty for customers because I'm the "outdoor" freak haha
    That's very sound advice, but who knows how long till stager sport (if your buying meindls for instance) order their next shipment so quite possibly having a two year old model which just by luck some fail and everyone badmouths!

Im having to get custom insoles worth about 700 bucks all up due to foot injury a couple of years ago. It might be worth visiting a podiatrist once you get your new boots to assess your walking pattern

Yeah gonna c how we go....gonna find the most comfortable boot for me and see wat I can do with off the shelf accessories and if ness go custom.....must get somemmore wedges as old ones are almost buggered.....

The Asolos I ordered are out of stock til February so I'm going with La Sportiva Karakorum or whatever
    GravelBen likes this.

The sasslongs look ok but IMO I don't think they up to the highcountry . and to be honest kinda anti Asolo now.... Once bitten twice shy

Some guys at work have them + like them. I was willing to give them a try but lol not in stock for 4.5 fucking months

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Some guys at work have them + like them. I was willing to give them a try but lol not in stock for 4.5 fucking months
    A mate got a pair from the US for not much over $200 nz landed.
    Could find out where from if you are interested.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Nah it's all good - I get a pair free through work so I'm getting La Sportivas for that instead of the Asolos, no biggie

I think the advise that Josh has given is excellent.
    I wear Grisports every day, they usually last for 18-24 months; the soles get to the point where they don't offer enough grip for hill work. Every other part of the boot are serviceable and I always pass them on to someone else who uses them in more sedate situations.
    I also wear another pair of Grisports hunting and whilst they are very comfortable they don't like the hard knocks of the South Island.
    Mates I hunt with really like their Bestards and I really like the look of the new Andrews boots, you'll find them in hunting and fishing.
    Fit and comfort would be the most important factor for me, then durability.

Just remember what Josh says... If you hammer the shit out of any pair of boots, no matter how much you paid for them, they won't last forever!