Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Boots Boots Boots???????????

Boots Boots Boots???????????

Ok so I know this issue has been done to death but have had a look thru quite a few threads on here and didn't really get much of an idea.
    Ok so I currently have a pair of Asolo TPS 535 boots which are about 2 1/2 years old, they havnt done a huge amount of work maybe 2 dozen trips so at a guess 200-300km of walking, I hunt mainly the otago high country so a bit of a mix of bush hunting but mainly tussock/sub alpine. The Asolo boots are delaminating at the soles and the warranty is only good for a year, so shit outa luck there..........kinda pissed off but no point crying over spilt milk....they cant be repaired or resoled the cobbler tried to glue them back together, but apparently the midsole which is PU (polyurethane) is crumbling and will continue to do so so kinda lost cause...I have had to save up my pennies and am hoping to find a boot that will do 5 + years, 10 would be better but think im dreaming. So on the cards are Gronell Stelvio, Bestard of some description, Lowa ???? Meindl probably the Makalu pro 3000, Garmont ????? maybe just maybe look at the asolo sasslong............bit of help if you have used any of them would be good........Has anyone used the Gronell stelvio or any of the Andrews footwear range,...thinking maybe the guida alpina or antelao but would consider the GZ2...........thoughts?
    cheers
    GUNS DON"T KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
    PEOPLE with PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS
    NEGLECTED by the HEALTH SYSTEM
    KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had the Gronell stelvio boots they lasted me just over 3years been worn every day fencing & spraying & stockwork on Wanganui hill country. I wore the toe out due to spending a lot time on kneeling on the ground tying of wires but iv just brought the meindl makale pro couse of the rubber coming up over the toe to try make them last longer but after wereing the meindles for bot a month now I wish id brought another pair of the stelvio as they are a siffer boot & I like that meself I always buy new boot insoles from farmlands & put in all my boots
    Alpinehunter0 likes this.

Had a great run from my LaSportiva Makalus - built like a tank. 10+ years old, the soles are pretty worn down but the rest of the boot is solid as.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Had a great run from my LaSportiva Makalus - built like a tank. 10+ years old, the soles are pretty worn down but the rest of the boot is solid as.
    Been rallying in them GB
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Gum boots for me
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Been rallying in them GB
    Haha nope, not a fan of driving in stiff soled boots!

I have Haix and they've been very good. Even got TimeRider a pair. Very similar to Lowa and Meindl. They were used ex German forces and the range in the shop was a mixture of Lowa, Meindl and Haix. I just picked the pair that fitted best.

Previous boots were Asolo and had the same problem. Only wore them twice and the PU layer crumbled.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Haha nope, not a fan of driving in stiff soled boots!
    I found I drove too slow as couldn't rotate the ankle enough on the go pedal.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I've been using Meindl Island pro for the last... 5-6 years? The stitching on the side is the only downside, tends to go

Just ordered some Asolo Sasslongs for work, have heard some mixed things but they're free, so hopefully they're ok.

Would get La Sportiva Makalu but they're discontinued or no longer imported

wow bit of everything here........have tried on a pair of the La Sportiva Makalus a few years back, felt they were too tight in the toebox and far too stiff for me in the sole, If I were doing Alpine work or needed a climbing boot I would probably have another look, but my knees are fucked and just not up to the job for this kind of hunting, which is a real shame cause I used to love it. Knee has been reconstructed due to severe injury 13 odd years ago and has no real strength. I tried a pair of the Andrew Antelao boots today and while I felt they were reasonably stiff out of the box I quite liked the fact they are a welted sole and very resolable if needed, I felt they would also soften up some with use and wouldn't require too much breaking in. I also tried on a pair of the GZ2 model by the same company and thought they were nice but probably too soft straight out of the box for the kind of hunting I do (lots of sidling)... Have to say I like the warranty from Bestard, which is against workmanship and materials for the life of the boot. I only wish they had stores where I could try the boots on.....I have limited access to some of the stores selling these type of boots, the life in lil ol Oamaru tho. Quite like the look of Haix and some of the Hanwag boots look comfy too.........really not sure what to go for, just going to have to try a few pair on I guess. Am going to take a mates advice and talk to a cobbler as well.

the Garmont Pinnacle looks like a nice boot too, anyone had any experience with this boot?

Had meindls for just over 18 months and find them a good all round boot aoart from the fact that the rand on the toe peeled back after 3 months. Might buy another pair when these go. Like the look of the new full rand andrew boot in the latest mag.

Had lowas before this and were shot in under a year. Raichles before that and they were good all round too hut a big stiff.

Dad had his asolos for prib 8 years.. replacdd with haix

If you are not actually doing any alpine climbing then you may want to consider lace up gumboots, they are cheap for one thing, waterproof and are quite as the runner tenses to absorb rather than transmit the sound of your walking, know I guy who swears by them, just a thought.

For steep hill work/unstable footing/adverse weather you need a decent pair of leather boots with a decent rubber rand. Either half or 3/4 shank. Full shank boots can be a bit of a mish to walk in on flat country for hours on end. Steer away from rubber boots, they are no good when it snows, or becomes icy.

I've tried Meindls, Lowa, La Sportiva, Gri Sport, Hitec, Gronell, Bestard, Haix. All "NZ Alpine" type models, none of the "tramping track" versions.

Used all year round. So wear varies from hunting paddocks to alpine, farming, running about in the forest at work, to office/street wearing on pavement, mountainous country, mud and snow.

None of these pairs of boots have been in a state I would comfortably and safely wear in the hill country after 18 months use. They may still look ok, but either the inners are shot to pieces, they leak like a siv, or the soles are f**ked and are down right dangerous on steep country.

As far as durability and value goes, my Gronell Tibets and Stevios have by far been the best boots for the money, being cheaper than most but both models lasting longer than 18 months.

I am currently wearing Bestards for hunting and Haix Mountain Trekkers for work. Both appear to be wearing well, and were ~$500.

In my experience wearing boots daily, unless you get a pair of Lowas/Meindl for around ~$500 OR they are the only boots that fit your feet (Lowas are a good wide foot boot), then they are not worth the extra up to $200 more you pay for them (both usually $650+ pair).

If you aren't wearing them everyday I would expect any pair of "higher end" European boots to last you a few years.

You will get hugely varying responses from different people, trying to justify their $500 pair of boots! At the end of the day, get what fits your feet best. Your feet are what carry you into the bush and what get you home again.
    puku, veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Meindls are less than £200 from the UK, about $350 last I checked