Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Boots Boots Boots???????????

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Meindls are less than £200 from the UK, about $350 last I checked
    That's a good option if you can find the pair you want at a good price, know the size you're after, and are willing to wait. Even at ~200 pound today you'd be looking at around the NZ$450-500 figure to land a pair of top end Meindls, including freight, GST and customs charges, if you get stung.

I've imported a few pairs of boots, its a good option when the dollar is high and you know exactly what you are after. Saved a couple hundred each time.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    None of these pairs of boots have been in a state I would comfortably and safely wear in the hill country after 18 months use.
    I guess 18 months of daily use is equivalent to over 5 years of using them every weekend, so thats probably not bad considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinehunter0 View Post
    the Garmont Pinnacle looks like a nice boot too, anyone had any experience with this boot?
    I have had a pair of Pinnacles for about three years now. Very pleased with the fit and so far have handled a fair bit of above the bushline work. Great when the goiog gets tough. Highly reccommend them if you can get them for the right price. Had a good run with a few pairs of Scarpas too.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Ok so Ive tried on a pair of Lowa Tibets, Andrew Footwears Antelao, GZ2 and the Zebru, the Gronell Stelvios, and Asolos Sasslongs.....My old pair of Asolos were the 535 model and had a PU midsole.....this is the part that's crumbling, so it makes me very hesitant to buy another pair of boots with PU midsoles or PU anyfrigginthing....PU is known to crumble after a unspecified amount of time....for some reviews I've read the Asolo 535's fell apart on their first and or second outing, mine took a bit over two years, and it matters not if you use them or not, in fact they say the PU breaks down faster if you aren't using them.....not the best of looks for this material and not a great selling point for a mid to top end boot. Lowa Tibet and most of the Andrew Footwear range have a PU dual layer midsole and although they are a beautiful boot it has put me off some, the Zebru has a Vibram rubber sole which is cemented on and I'm not sure I trust this build anymore either. The Asolo Sasslong has a EVA rubber midsole and is a very nice boot, very light and well formed, but....I feel maybe too light for sub alpine work. Im still looking but am going back to try on the Gronells today, and from there I am going to talk to my cobbler, Andrews Footwear might still get a look in as they are Norwegian welted construction and fully resoleable I think. Looked at the Bestards online and think they are very nice looking boots and most of them have an EVA midsole so they may be the way yet, but I am not sure I want to buy a pair of boots without trying them on first. Meindls are still on the cards as I can get a reasonable discount on them but have heard the soles can just fall apart too..........decisions decisions decisions ......I only want to spend the money once.
    GUNS DON"T KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
    PEOPLE with PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS
    NEGLECTED by the HEALTH SYSTEM
    KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For alpine work I use boots with crampons strapped on, summiteed Ruapehu in leather Garmont with vibram soles a few times ( ex president of alpine club) and also salmons xadv with some weird sole, salomoms more comfortable but the Garmonts seem to be holding up to the abuse better, mine must be over 20 years old now and still going strong, lots of sno seal and let them dry naturally away from a fire makes leather last. May have replaced the laces few times but...

Josh shouldn't you be wearing steel toe at work

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Josh shouldn't you be wearing steel toe at work

Only for about a quarter of the work I do but my Miendls and grisport were steel toe. My haix boots I bought this are full specced forestry boots too. Steel toe, chainsaw protection etc.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Only for about a quarter of the work I do but my Miendls and grisport were steel toe. My haix boots I bought this are full specced forestry boots too. Steel toe, chainsaw protection etc.
    I wish my boss would spring for decent boots.

Me too...I pay for them myself! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinehunter0 View Post
    Ok so Ive tried on a pair of Lowa Tibets, Andrew Footwears Antelao, GZ2 and the Zebru, the Gronell Stelvios, and Asolos Sasslongs.....My old pair of Asolos were the 535 model and had a PU midsole.....this is the part that's crumbling, so it makes me very hesitant to buy another pair of boots with PU midsoles or PU anyfrigginthing....PU is known to crumble after a unspecified amount of time....for some reviews I've read the Asolo 535's fell apart on their first and or second outing, mine took a bit over two years, and it matters not if you use them or not, in fact they say the PU breaks down faster if you aren't using them.....not the best of looks for this material and not a great selling point for a mid to top end boot. Lowa Tibet and most of the Andrew Footwear range have a PU dual layer midsole and although they are a beautiful boot it has put me off some, the Zebru has a Vibram rubber sole which is cemented on and I'm not sure I trust this build anymore either. The Asolo Sasslong has a EVA rubber midsole and is a very nice boot, very light and well formed, but....I feel maybe too light for sub alpine work. Im still looking but am going back to try on the Gronells today, and from there I am going to talk to my cobbler, Andrews Footwear might still get a look in as they are Norwegian welted construction and fully resoleable I think. Looked at the Bestards online and think they are very nice looking boots and most of them have an EVA midsole so they may be the way yet, but I am not sure I want to buy a pair of boots without trying them on first. Meindls are still on the cards as I can get a reasonable discount on them but have heard the soles can just fall apart too..........decisions decisions decisions ......I only want to spend the money once.
    looks like you just answered your own question

He should be, Health and Safety and all that jazz

My employer will foot the bill for a maximum 1 pair of safety boots of our choice (the term use common sense was used) in a 12 month period cause the salt water wrecks em quick smart.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Yep same here mikee
    welding gas cutting etc I get around 6 months if i look after them

Nup think I have just confused myself

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    If you are not actually doing any alpine climbing then you may want to consider lace up gumboots, they are cheap for one thing, waterproof and are quite as the runner tenses to absorb rather than transmit the sound of your walking, know I guy who swears by them, just a thought.
    Thanks Shelley, I used to use skellerup Bullers in the bush when I hunted up north.....did a lot of hunting in the kaimais and a bit around the central north island ie upper whirinaki minginui lake waikarimoana, rubber boots like the bullers are great for this kind of bush stalking, but offer no support for the steep screes and rock bases of the otago/Mackenzie high country, a hiker may be ok during summer months, but will not last very long in this demanding environment, this kind of country requires a 3 to 4 season boot with at least 1/2 shank and good torsion rigidity. Winter hunting brings a whole new list of issues for boots in this type of country as I'm sure you are aware of having ascended ruapehu. snow and ice are a constant during winter months and a good sturdy sole unit that will take a crampon or be able to kick footholds is essential...Yes I do, do a bit of low country bush hunting and so am looking for a boot that will be able to stalk thru thick scrubby regen, and kanuka type bush. with a bit of luck I can repair my Asolo's to be able to use on the low country/bush hunting, but they are no longer capable of hunting the high country and I wouldn't trust them to last up there.
    Thanks for your input tho, bought back a few memories.....back when I was a lot younger fitter skinnier and not so broken.
    I have had some major leg injuries and ongoing knee problems so really do need the support of a good boot.
    am expecting this will cost me in the region of 600-700 and am willing to pay that for a decent boot that's gonna last me
    Cheers
    Matt
    Shelley likes this.
    GUNS DON"T KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
    PEOPLE with PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS
    NEGLECTED by the HEALTH SYSTEM
    KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aly
    Meindl are great but do burn a pretty hole in your wallet we had this recent discussion about boots on a CUTC page and Meindl came up as a popular boot for alpine tramping and lasting.
    Another boot bran I would also recommend especially in terms of support is Zamberlans. I swear by these boots in the mountains, I've had mine for 8 years or so and not a single problem. They only look like they've been worn for a month in the hills, broke in great, fantastic heel and ankle support (and I've been wearing a kids size! about to upgrade soon on my next pair of Zamberlans, but the only store I've been able to find who stocks them are Mountain Designs.... and they're shutting up shop for good in NZ, and getting rid of all stock :/ )
    Before you make your decision it might be a good idea for you to hit up a shoe technician at a place like Shoe Clinic, or Foot Runners - and get your feet profiled for the necessary support you need. Especially with your injuries you don't want to get a boot with the wrong support - because it could be that you need a sturdy boot with arch and heel support, or the complete opposite and you actually need a boot with no support but a lot of cushioning instead. Last thing you want is to fork over the money for a boot that causes you even more pain and injury. Then after that you'll find that particular models for specific boots in a brand will have certain supports, so once you know what you need, you can look for something with that right feel and support for you

Also noting that other users who have given advice about particular brands/shoes and their faults, some people have mentioned shoes/brands but added that those boots they've had has a particular fault over a certain number of years; just wanna let you know that almost every year shoe designers and brands update their technology on the models of boots. So a model that was bought 5 years ago, it's 2014 version will have 5 years of updated technology (generally fixing any faults of the past and improve sole/cushioning units) not discrediting anyone's advice but just sharing some information if it helps your decision making

Hope this helps.
    Source: I work at a shoe store and hiking boots are my assigned specialty for customers because I'm the "outdoor" freak haha
    scoped, mikee and GravelBen like this.