Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Bush Coffee Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Yeah, I make great coffee at home with a system that cost less than that!
    teaspoon and a cup works for this K1W1 .
    bumblefoot and RV1 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

"A dessertspoon full of whatever instant coffee that was on special at the 4 Square, and chuck it in a billy mate"

Name:  Crump_thumbnail.jpg.540x405.compressed.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  20.6 KB
    Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

I try not to drink coffee when in the bush as i want to avoid wasting time shitting in the bush.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    at $139 on special I would hope it carries itself and says good morning darling would you like a biscuit with that!!!!!! struth

I was looking at just the plunger attachment - to see if it would work in this https://www.kmart.co.nz/product/camp...et-1-43235865/

Quote Originally Posted by Jukes View Post
    I was looking at just the plunger attachment - to see if it would work in this https://www.kmart.co.nz/product/camp...et-1-43235865/
    It would be good to know what attachments fit with the kmart cooker. I have one and have wondered the same

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
    Jukes likes this.

MB
    I'm a tea guy. Should be simple, but just can't get passed the milk thing. Powder and UHT doesn't cut it. I'll stick to instant soups when hunting if I just want something to warm me up. Have a nice little tea making kit on the boat though.

MB the newer UHT is bloody great stuff..I drink the lactose free version to prevent farting all day and snoring all night,I actually prefer it to regular milk now as it tastes more like real milk straight from cow...and condensed milk in a tube is always the right answer when hunting lol.
    MB, ROKTOY and Barry the hunter like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

https://briping.com/pages/our-story
    This looks pretty funny
    Micky Duck and Jukes like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    MB the newer UHT is bloody great stuff..I drink the lactose free version to prevent farting all day and snoring all night,I actually prefer it to regular milk now as it tastes more like real milk straight from cow...and condensed milk in a tube is always the right answer when hunting lol.
    Hmmm, milk in a tube. Whatever next? Do you really have to refrigerate it after opening?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Hmmm, milk in a tube. Whatever next? Do you really have to refrigerate it after opening?
    It’s condensed milk. Thick and sugary, no fridge required. Used to also come with coffee added when I was in the olive drab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and MB like this.

Jeds coffee bags work a treat. I just chuck them in the pot and bring them to the boil

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Jeds coffee bags work a treat. I just chuck them in the pot and bring them to the boil
    Yeh Jeds are fine for light weight trips

Jetboil plunger, GSI grinder and roasted beans for heavy weight trips

I learned to roast green coffee beans from being in the bush with work and play many years ago.
    Green coffee beans last for years
    Roasted coffee beans quality declines a few weeks after roasting.
    So I roasted my own in the bush

Now I buy a blend of green beans 10 kg at a time and roast about weekly at home for my espresso machine.
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Yeh Jeds are fine for light weight trips

Jetboil plunger, GSI grinder and roasted beans for heavy weight trips

I learned to roast green coffee beans from being in the bush with work and play many years ago.
    Green coffee beans last for years
    Roasted coffee beans quality declines a few weeks after roasting.
    So I roasted my own in the bush

Now I buy a blend of green beans 10 kg at a time and roast about weekly at home for my espresso machine.
    I just buy a kilo of roasted beans every 7-8 weeks or so. Automatic one button machine, once its set for the beans away laughing. As good as a decent barista job at a cafe, at home. No, I don't have a problem damnit. But, for the cost of the machine ($100 second hand) vs the cost of buying decent coffee - it's probably saved me a few thou. Now for the shoot me moment, I cannot for the life of me or my tastebuds tell the difference between the $20 1Kg purple bag of blended beans from the Warehouse and the two $50 options of flash custom roasted blends I was getting previously. To be fair, I was just nodding and agreeing with those though too!

It is a bit of a suck it up moment working away from home though, one gets used to the standard... Even the capsule dispensers are crap next to the proper machine (and brutally expensive).

What I have found is Kmart does a small grinder for not much $$ and I can grind up some beans to the plunger coarse level and use those, I can't stretch the milk when away but a poke with a frother and the plunger and it's as close to expresso machine texture and flavour as you can get sans machine. For everything else, I resort to Avalanche-brand no sugar flavoured sachet's - they don't seem to have whatever the Nescafe and other brands have in them that gives you the horrendous aftertaste (I'm assuming it's something in there to create the artificial crema froth on the top). The Avalanche ones seem to my taste anyway be the closest to a 'normal' flat white or a 'cappuccino' as I can find.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I only have one cup of coffee a day - in morning- rest of day a proper pot of tea-so in the bush morning cup- sachet of mocha- big spoon of Moccona Indulgence and nestle condensed milk from a tube - and sugar - bloody good all in a big thermos type of cup
    Micky Duck likes this.