Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Gone with the wind: Sleeping Mat recommendation

Gone with the wind: Sleeping Mat recommendation

Hi all,

Unfortunately my most recent trip was cut short when my mates fly suffered some broken cordage and my sleeping mat (bushbuck cumulus LT) blew away never to be seen again. Serves me right for trusting a fly in alpine environments in which I would usually use a tent. (Yes the sleeping mat and fly were both weighted down with rocks)

Anyway, I am after some recommendations for a new sleeping mat for three-four seasons. Any cost-benefit analysis would be appreciated.

Cheers 🍻

After 23 years (it had a pretty easy life) my old Thermarest guidelite finally failed so I looked into all the options. I ended up with a Rab Stratosphere 4 from Hyperride with 25% off boxing day sale, only just arrived today so it's only had a cursory try out. Seems luxurious and spacious compared to the Thermarest. My second choice would probably have been a Klymit Luxe but they don't come with an inflation bag, have an arguably lower R rating and are thinner denier material. I'm a bit taller and wider than average and I value a decent night's sleep so I don't mind a bit of extra weight on its occasional forays.

My daughter spotted me looking at a comparatively tiny Torpedo 7 one in the shop, I had ruled it out but bless her she thought it would be a great Xmas present. It's ok but a bit narrow and a bit too short and my shoulder blades can just feel the ground through it so it can be a spare or more likely hers to use.

I am sure the Thermarests are the benchmark, I just couldn't justify the outlay for something I'm only using a handful of times a year

I'm running an Exped synmat 7 winter. Fairly warm, about 600g, has inflation bag with it. Got mine on sale for $182 a couple of years ago.
    Floundering Around likes this.

I use an exped down mate. Dura 6R
    https://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/campi...ping-mats.html

They were about $278 last week when a mate was looking after spring a leak over christmas.
    Z

The Expeds are bloody awesome bang for your buck at the weight range. I have the Dura 6R for chopper trips when I want insane luxury- the standard Ultra series are bloody good- 5R is probably ideal for most of what we get upto in NZ really.

I also own both the XTherm and XLite- really damn good warmth to weight but a hefty price tag, harder to get comfy on as a side sleeper in comparison to the vertical baffles on the Expeds but not as uncomfortable as the Klymits for me personally.

I have a Nemo.
    Look for fabric thickness

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    I have a Nemo.
    Look for fabric thickness
    I also have a Nemo. It's thick and warm but it's a big unit, its more comfortablethan my own bed. I have the cosmo, I think there are more compact models.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

I have a few expeds and they have been great. I buy them from bivouac in Wellington when they are on sale. https://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/campi...ats/exped.html

Thermarest Xtherm is the best you can get warmth wise, heavy fabric underneath and lighter fabric on top.
    They aren't the lightest but are pretty good weight wise, you won't regret spending the money on one.

I have a Exped, haven't used it a lot but it's pretty comfortable.

Bought a Exped synmat ul some years back, after using a thermarest for donkeys. First fly camp it was great. second time I used it was on flat grass..with a canvas ground sheet. Woke up flat on the grass...2 baffles blown...i'm 72kgs It was out of warranty by then. They offered to repair it but the thought of lugging it up a mountain & then it failing again when you really need it has put me off bothering.. I was very disappointed. This seems to be a common thing with the really light pads. Reviews of the big agnes rapide sl seam to be promising as to durabilty...many of them are slippery & noisy..google hard on reviews of your chosen first

I've got an exped downmat and really rate it. Light, v warm and comfortable.

Without wanting to jinx anything, I'm 94kg and it has lasted 5 years (I think) without rupture so far.

I have used the expeds, no problems.
    Have old self inflating thermarests use on camp stretchers under mattress's now and they must be 30yrs plus.
    Would recommend going to a wide mat for the bit extra weight more room and with quilt your arms are good if on your back.
    Have a Sea to Summit XT also it is good.
    You do need to look after them though, have good groundsheet and check for sharp shit etc.

Hey @flounderingaround,
    I've been running the Sea To Summit Comfort Plus the last 4 yrs. Reasonably light and quiet, comfortable to sleep on (incl side), is insulated and the bag it comes in is used to inflate it.
    No issues since I've had it, happy customer!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Another vote for the Sea to Summit We have (3) Thermarests of different configurations but after trying them I have only use the STS for the past 3 years - simply more comfortable and the pillow lock system - basic as it is - works. My son tonight is up on tops above the Lower Windley and he took the STS mat - he agrees it is the most comfortable. It is the ultralight insulated model.