Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Bush Huntin-Salomon Trail runners

Bush Huntin-Salomon Trail runners

So over new years I got to try out something, some of you latched onto way back. I tried bush stalking in Salomon trail runners- with Bridgedale waterproof socks- knee height, and with neoprene 1 piece gaiters, and shorts and HnF longjohns.

Couple days wandering around the wet bush for Sika (none seen) after a shit ton of rain= "excellent".

I can no never go back to solid boots- these were soooooooooooo lite- and when the shoes were wet- they were soooooooo light- as in held a very low amount of water.
    Feet/skin did get very slightly "damp" by days end- but I tell you, its far far far far far far better than wet feet straight off the bat and then soaked wet feet all day.
    Quietness and ease of foot placement was noticeably better than with boots, and way better than with wet boots.
    Grip on wet ground was on par/same with boots.
    Low above ankle creek crossings were no trouble-socks sit under knee so no water got in.
    Ankle support- I didn't have a single issue- though I tend to look after myself these days way better than I used to, diet-exercise/HIIT classes, limit the brown lemonades.
    These Salomons are next level comfy- these ones I've been wearing around town the last 2 years- the tread is at the end of its life=new set soon.

In the pics- obviously i ditched the excellent Blue V socks and installed the Bridgedales.

I can never go back to boots inside the bush.

Name:  20231028_165142.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  4.55 MB

Name:  20240104_085501.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  3.69 MB
    Last edited by ANTSMAN; 13-01-2024 at 02:26 PM.

Yup. They are the shizz. My speedcross 5 are finally giving up after 2 years of bush and tops hunting.

With trail runners its probably better to accept wet feet and go non-goretex. The neoprene low putties are a nice combo . Much more practical - quick drying an more breatheable. The simple reality is they gave lighter fabrics so will get tears/holes in them. The lugs on my curent pair are still in good nick but the fabric snd chassis have had it after many hard miles.
    ANTSMAN and RV1 like this.

Ned
    And after hours on your feet, I find that I can still lift my feet over things whereas with boots as the day goes on I find I start to stumble a bit, catch rocks, tree roots etc.
    ANTSMAN, Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    And after hours on your feet, I find that I can still lift my feet over things whereas with boots as the day goes on I find I start to stumble a bit, catch rocks, tree roots etc.
    yep me too mate- if the boots are wet- thats and extra 5oog? of water ya liftin every step.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoppernator View Post
    Yup. They are the shizz. My speedcross 5 are finally giving up after 2 years of bush and tops hunting.

With trail runners its probably better to accept wet feet and go non-goretex. The neoprene low putties are a nice combo . Much more practical - quick drying an more breatheable. The simple reality is they gave lighter fabrics so will get tears/holes in them. The lugs on my curent pair are still in good nick but the fabric snd chassis have had it after many hard miles.
    yeah i was unsure of the socks- but was pleasantly surprised. Ive always worn boots and accepted wet feet daily unless am on the tops.

Oh if the ultra light laces go. Mitre 10 sells black cord that is thicker and does the trick.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

top tip - you can buy speed laces - thats what salomon calls em from most bivouac shops and fit them to any shoe or replace broken ones... youre welcome

I find them great for the level terrain, but if I have a load on i need the ankle support of boots - too many injuiries over the years.
    ANTSMAN and Snoppernator like this.
    Warm Barrels!

iSi
    Good to know. I've been thinking about giving trail running shoes a nudge in the bush.

Used them for a while but found them quite a slim fit on my caveman shaped feet,use ‘Keen” brand boots now,find them excellent,usually run ASICS touch shoes in the height of summer though.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Just a thought....How much meat do you plan on packing out if successful and how long would the walk out likely be?

I'm sure they fit the bill when unladen, but how do you reckon they'll go if packing out a deer (whole or in part)?
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    Just a thought....How much meat do you plan on packing out if successful and how long would the walk out likely be?

I'm sure they fit the bill when unladen, but how do you reckon they'll go if packing out a deer (whole or in part)?
    This is why I love my Inov8's, light like a shoe but still provide a decent bit of ankle support. Once you get up around that 20kg on your back definitely start to notice it on the ankles if they're not supported
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Tried using my trail runners this past weekend in the Aorangis, it was actually really good. Felt like my legs fatigued much less and they dried quickly. Pleasantly surprised… I’d been putting off trying them on a hunting trip due to concerns of injury (ankles etc) but didn’t have a single issue.

Flip side though - the shoes took a punishing.. will need to get a slightly tougher pair
    ANTSMAN likes this.

To answer your question arouns weight and trail runners. Ive packed out two deer (boned out) 2-4 hours out in Kawekas and Kaimais. I do have a quality backpack (Exo Mtn Gear) with an excellent meat shelf - well balanced l
    Pack. And I place my feet!

There is also a differencs in support between trail runners. I have a pair of Innov8 mudclaw (disco yellow) and they were too flimsy and the lugs wore too quickly. The Salomon Speedcross are much more robust in build and hold their shape. And much more cushion for the feet.

Ankle support. Depends on the person. I dont like boots/ankle support - ankles are strong/not prone to roll. I also use trekking poles on the mountains. In the bush I take the time to place my feet (quiet feet) under load as it stops injury. Also avoids sore feet from impact.

If your thinking about it - try a pair on a shorter hunt. The only thing Id suggest is use a pair with decent lugs for grip - as a flat tread won't be much fun in the wet.
    Micky Duck and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.

Check if there is a "wide" fit option. Salomon do "wide" on some models.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    This is why I love my Inov8's, light like a shoe but still provide a decent bit of ankle support. Once you get up around that 20kg on your back definitely start to notice it on the ankles if they're not supported
    yeah theres two trains of thought out there- a person either needs or thinks they need ankle support, or a not for the task. For my use in the bush these work good but its early days..