Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 2 Post By Bos
  • 1 Post By Scott29er
  • 1 Post By Huntnfish4vr
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By SPEARONZ

Thread: Hunting boots vs trail runners

cally woo

Hunting boots vs trail runners

Hey folks, anyone use trail runners instead of hiking boots? Sometimes im jealous of my mates who's shoes drain quickly after crossings while I'm left with an even heavier foot. Plus they seem to be carrying a lighter load for the whole trip and can slip their shoes on and off way easier. What are the advantages to hunting boots over trail runners?

MB
    Ankle support is what most people would say at a guess, but the main thing for me is all the crap that ends up in the shoe/boot if they're not reasonably high and topped off with gaiters. Lightweight boots are an option.

Gone but not forgotten
    Trail runners don't have a heel, so slide more in mud/downhill etc.

The rule of thumb is the more weight you are carrying, the stiffer the shank needed in your footwear, so trail runners are no good for carrying heavy loads.
    I'm tempted to take mine to use as day-hunt footwear on a multi-day trip.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Bos
    My rule of thumb is "light weight boots for light weight country, good quality heavy hill boots (Lowa, Haix, Andrews) for steep hill/alpine country"

Last thing you want is a twisted ankle right at the start of a trip
    Bol Tackshin and Preacher like this.

Hi Fellas,
    I have been wearing trail runners for most of my hunting trips up until recently. The trail runners are light, drain quickly, and allow you to make ascents of the canterbury foothills quite quickly. The problem is ankle support. I was rolling my ankle too regularly and was often a fair way from the car in the dark. So anyway, it's now Lowa Camino's for me and they are superb. Ankle support, grip, and not too heavy. Pricey at $500 on special but I should get many years of hunting/tramping/fishing out of them. Totally recommend these boots.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I do `t feel safe over there without reliable boots.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

For all NI hunting I use trail runners. Specifically those designed for ice running with tungsten tips on some of the treads (Innov8 icebugs, Sarva to name a few). You'll never slip on a rock or log again. Ankles no problem for me, light weight and quiet (except when walking on rocks). Feet stay wet all day but so do boots once water is in.
    Chur Bay likes this.

you fellas who roll your ankles...... find a heavy sided bit of pipe or even a straight round bit of wood about 100mm in diameter and a plank of wood 8"x1"/200x25mm is ideal about 3 feet/600mm long...place the plank across the roller and stand on it.....you will NEED to start off in a doorway,on deep pile carpet is ideal as it slows down the roll...stand up straight holding onto door frame...BE AWARE if you loose balance the plank WILL fly out sideways and can poke hole in wall... keep balancing...2-3 minutes is enough ,after a week you will/should be able to graduate to single finger on wall on smooth carpet...then a little more practice free standing while brush your teeth.... a month of doing this daily and your body will be much stronger and better at not rolling ankles...I was a skeptic but stuck with it..huge difference.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I use boots if I’m expecting wet grass, farm paddocks/cattle grazed hills or on the tops where there are no steam crossings.

I use trail shoes for all day trips, bush or where I will be crossing streams. I accept wet feet knowing they will dry overnight anyway.

Sometimes I’ll carry boots in my pack and put them on only once I’ve walked the kms into my hunting area. I prefer walking in the trail shoes regardless of pack weight and I do notice less fatigue especially on steep climbs.

I use Salomon speed cross and inov8 gaiters fyi but these are a love ‘em or hate em shoe. I’ve put thousands of kms in them trail running which may bias my opinion.
    Micky Duck and Scott29er like this.

Try the salewa boots. best of both worlds.

I use lightweight trail runners on day trips in easy country. For me they work fine for shorter trips with less weight. But for longer trips / rough country stick with the Asolo boots.