Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Cheap, lightweight waterproof jacket recommendation

MB

Cheap, lightweight waterproof jacket recommendation

This has probably been done to death... I've got myself a nice warm jacket for duck hunting. It's water repellent, but not waterproof. Today's apocalyptic rain got me thinking. Probably should have something to put over the top. Warm jacket is pretty bulky and none of my existing waterproofs fit over the top comfortably. Need something cheap and lightweight. Doesn't need to be breathable or have any insulation, in fact better without. Cheap would be good too. Over to you.

Something milsurp would be my pick.
    Bol Tackshin and MB like this.

Banned
    One of the nylon 'fold into their own pocket' jobbies is the way I reckon. They are not super water proof after a while, but the 'roof and gutter' silicon + turps fixes that. In fact they turn out better than new because the water beads and runs of eg: One shake and its dry. I wear one all the time over a down jacket.
    Woody, Micky Duck, MB and 4 others like this.

Hunters Element Halo
    MB likes this.

Cape.
    MB likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....you-dry-91995/

But also, +1 for what Moa Hunter said. Did that mix on a home made tarp. Works a treat. Use low odour kero or turps though!

Hunters Element Halo was a common theme...
    MB likes this.
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    One of the nylon 'fold into their own pocket' jobbies is the way I reckon. They are not super water proof after a while, but the 'roof and gutter' silicon + turps fixes that. In fact they turn out better than new because the water beads and runs of eg: One shake and its dry. I wear one all the time over a down jacket.
    Please elaborate on the silicon/ turps mix?got a couple of jackets lacking in waterproofness.. thanks

A us army poncho, it is waterproof and breathable and served in the Vietnam rain
    MB and Russian 22. like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Please elaborate on the silicon/ turps mix?got a couple of jackets lacking in waterproofness.. thanks
    We covered this in a couple of threads that some kind sole might post links to... but basically buy some good quality plumbers silicon and mix with turps. It takes a little while to soften and properly thin down and become a smooth mix so using a paint stirrer on a slow drill is good. A thick paintable mix for a tent floor 1to1 and a thinner mix for a nylon coat. I have done a tent floor by painting both inside and outside one at a time drying between coats, waterproof pants, ski gloves, lower sleeve / cuffs of down jacket, nylon pack, fold up coat, umbrella. No fails. Just use a thin mix for clothing 2 to 1 T to S. If an item needs more it can be given another coat.
    57jl, Micky Duck and Roarless20 like this.

the army surplus store sells a UK goretex rain jacket. they used to be around 100 bucks. No idea what they sell for now
    MB and XR500 like this.

Rubbish bag Jumbo if you have just gotten out of MacD's
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTZPllgqSc
    bunji likes this.

MB
    Thanks for the suggestions. Quick question about the silicone/turps coating. Does it peel off with time?

If you can still find them in the surplus stores, the older british army goretex rain jacket fits your criteria of cheap, lightweight and its durable. The brits made their jackets from proper goretex with good seam sealing. I bought one back in 2003 to take on exercise and ditch our bulky and leaky nz issue jackets as the camo pattern matched ours close enough. I wore it for 7 years of infantry field ex's before finally wearing out small holes in the back from carrying a pack over the top of it. before that I went back and bought a spare one to replace it, and I still have them both. I don't think they were more than 50 or 60 bucks from the old army surplus store in chch.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck, MB and 2 others like this.

Hunters Element Halo
    MB likes this.