Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Cheap, lightweight waterproof jacket recommendation

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Quick question about the silicone/turps coating. Does it peel off with time?
    Yes if it is an incorrect too thick coating painted on. No if thinned properly because it is then not a coating, it soaks right through the material, penetrates and waterproofs the individual fibres.

Just weighed my coat 183 grams. Cheap waterproof 'Rivet' nylon pants from the Warehouse ( that were waterproof for one outing ) 212 grams. These were like $22 bucks and now are absolutely totally waterproof. Why pay good money for pants that are going to get rips and holes poked when these cheap ones can be sewn up and the repair re-siliconed.
    No drying of gear at the end of the day - just shake and the coat and pants are dry
    MB, Roarless20 and XR500 like this.

For the Silicone + turps mix
    I recently used White spirits as it is 100% Naphtha which is recommended in one of the Youtube videos over turps and is lowish odor.

I used it to waterproof my:
    TwinNeedle MollyMe pack - This worked a treat at keeping my gear dry and blood free during alot of wet bush hunting this roar.
    Bino Harness
    Hunting Cap
    15 year old StoneyCreek Sikatop which I had stopped using in the last 5 years. Just painted the hood, back, shoulder, top of chest, top side of sleeves and bottom 150mm of hem and cuffs. You cant even tell it has been coated visually or by feel. It was awesome wet bush hunting this year (most days this year ). I need to redo a bit more of it however as it ended up soaked on one hunt after bush bashing wet as pepperwood and high crown fern heading out otherwise it barely got wet.

I'm just about to do two pairs of SC overtrou which aren't waterproof any more and my slip-on shoes.

I used a 1 silicone to 4 spirits ratio .
    Mixed it by using my cordless drill spinning a small whisk flogged out of the kitchen. This is way easier and faster than mixing by hand.
    Last edited by Roarless20; 02-05-2023 at 09:13 AM. Reason: mixing idea

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roarless20 View Post
    For the Silicone + turps mix
    I recently used White spirits as it is 100% Naphtha which is recommended in one of the Youtube videos over turps and is lowish odor.

I used it to waterproof my:
    TwinNeedle MollyMe pack - This worked a treat at keeping my gear dry and blood free during alot of wet bush hunting this roar.
    Bino Harness
    Hunting Cap
    15 year old StoneyCreek Sikatop which I had stopped using in the last 5 years. Just painted the hood, back, shoulder, top of chest, top side of sleeves and bottom 150mm of hem and cuffs. You cant even tell it has been coated visually or by feel. It was awesome wet bush hunting this year (most days this year ). I need to redo a bit more of it however as it ended up soaked on one hunt after bush bashing wet as pepperwood and high crown fern heading out otherwise it barely got wet.

I'm just about to do two pairs of SC overtrou which aren't waterproof any more and my slip-on shoes.

I used a 1 silicone to 4 spirits ratio .
    Mixed it by using my cordless drill spinning a small whisk flogged out of the kitchen. This is way easier and faster than mixing by hand.
    By Naptha you mean petrol ? Just add Palm Oil ?. I have been a bit cautious about using any solvent that might damage Nylon. I did think Meths might be good as it is used as a Silicon clean up.

I did a cotton camo jacket made by remington...not only did it waterproof it,the faded pattern came back to life,darkened it slightly ..has a sort of rubbery feel to it,not unpleasant and in the light rain Ive worn it in so far,it has been great..like poster above I did the shoulders,top of cheast,arms first heavily and the rest lightly...also did an OLD macpac pack that was delaminating terribly,its one of if not the very first internal frame they did ,so definately getting on in years...worked perfectly. did a cotton warehouse wide brimmed hat,like you see school kids wearing or cricket umpires...that is really good now it keeps my head AND shoulders dry in heavy rain .
    slow spped on the drill when mixing is criticle..highspeed resulted in freezer top being coated too LOL.
    Roarless20 and RV1 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    By Naptha you mean petrol ? Just add Palm Oil ?. I have been a bit cautious about using any solvent that might damage Nylon. I did think Meths might be good as it is used as a Silicon clean up.
    Nah this stuff https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/andre...litre/p/191631
    It says on the label "100% naphtha... Etc"

No idea if it hurts nylon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roarless20 View Post
    Nah this stuff https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/andre...litre/p/191631
    It says on the label "100% naphtha... Etc"

No idea if it hurts nylon.
    I see the link is to white spirit. Does anyone know if White spirit damages nylon - as in white spirit cooker bottle leaking into a backpack ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I see the link is to white spirit. Does anyone know if White spirit damages nylon - as in white spirit cooker bottle leaking into a backpack ?
    Not sure... makes your breakfast oats hard to stomach though! If spilt definitely permeates through a pack!
    hackmeat and Moa Hunter like this.

bog std terps smell dissapeared after 2 days on cloths line... too easy
    RV1 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

That’s me I’m off to Bunnings tomorrow for silicon and turps.
    Rocco and Roarless20 like this.

MB
    Anyone tried silicone sprays like this for smaller jobs? Do you think they would work?

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/crc-8...500ml/p/461304

I use that Crc silicone spray for various things. It works better on harder surfaces. Not very good on fabric materials.
    I tried it on my 'Sikatop' but I just sat on the surface, didn't soak in and wore off easily.
    Moa Hunter and MB like this.

Probably a dumb arse question, but what colour silicone are you using?
    ANTSMAN and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Bahahahahaha brilliant

MB
    Camo?
    Pixie Z, Rocco, RV1 and 1 others like this.

No such thing as a stupid question, mate! Depending on what sort of terrain/vegetation you're most often going to be in, spotted and striped silicone are both good options and available from most places... Usually found between the glass hammers and the long weights, right next to the buckets of steam.

I just went for the boring but safe Selleys clear 100% silicone option, and it worked very well.
    XR500, RV1 and Eat Meater like this.
    bunji likes this.