Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Cooking systems - Light vs cost

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I'm surprised there aren't more people making cheap versions of the heat sink pot - how much difference do they make compared to a normal pot?
    My understanding is that the slight increase in weight added by the heat sink is offset by less fuel used, but that you only break even a few days into a trip. You're carrying the gas anyway, so you only see a benefit in using a heat-exchanger pot if your trip is of long enough duration that the fuel efficiency means you can get by with one gas canister rather that having to lug two.

Or something like that...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    My understanding is that the slight increase in weight added by the heat sink is offset by less fuel used, but that you only break even a few days into a trip. You're carrying the gas anyway, so you only see a benefit in using a heat-exchanger pot if your trip is of long enough duration that the fuel efficiency means you can get by with one gas canister rather that having to lug two.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Or if its cold and you struggle to heat let alone boil water at altitude.
    At least that was the difference between mine and a MSR windboiler
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

I just converted to a jet-boil. It isn't quite as quick as they advertise but the fuel efficiency impressed me. I managed to boil just short of 10 litres on one 100g canister.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post

Makes sense.

Until this year I used a primus omnifuel on white spirits, was great when I was doing cold mountain trips etc. The pump packed up on that and the last few trips I've used the aliexpress ti gas cooker and saved weight. But have a 10+ day trip into the Olivines planned over summer so improving efficiency of whichever cooker we use will be worthwhile. That aliexpress heat exchange pot is only 30g more than the smaller of my current pots so probably worth a shot at that price.

yeah, wont be going back to standard cannister stoves. jet boils and their equivalents are great pieces of kit
    #BallisticFists

Sorry a bit old school.... but I still love my MSR Whisper-lite had it since the early 90's. Liquid fuel - but so good, if you get caught in camp or on a ridge for days on end... also love how it almost runs better on 91 octane petrol than it does on white spirits. and handy if you need to start a bonfire to dry out and there's only wet stuff around - has helped me out of a situation more than once, that and 2 hexe's in my survival kit...

Has done a great tour of duty in the South Island high Country and the North and still running like the first year I bought it. I'll think about a replacement when it finally dies but until then - if it ain't broke... go with what works...

Mind you @doubleshot would argue his coffee pot jet boil is a piece of non-negotiable kit - and who am I to argue as long as he brings the beans and grinder too.. mmmmm mines a flat white mate...

just my 2c.
    Tommy likes this.

So after all this time how is the cooker going? just came across this thread last night and now thinking of getting one if they are still performing.

Yep the one I got works fine. Not sure how those ultra mini ones go that some guys got?

I have one of those MapleFire (jetboil) copies.... works perfectly fine for me. holds over a liter and boils 800ml in 3min 15sec on the kitchen bench..... so in my books it does the job (so far).

Only one small bug is that even though a 230g canister does fit inside the unit, you can't fit everything else in and close the lid. Probably about 1.5cm too tall.
    I've now got 100g canisters and the whole unit packs up nicely. 100g is plenty for a few days and I can take a spare and still be lighter than taking a 230g canister.
    Not too bad for being less than half the price of a jetboil.

Also have one of thier little titanium cookers.... works sweet as too. same amount of water takes about 6mins to boil in comparision
    Ping-Ping and Pew-Pew.
    Mathews Monster 28" @ 60#. X-Bolt .308

Quote Originally Posted by chris-b View Post
    Also have one of thier little titanium cookers.... works sweet as too. same amount of water takes about 6mins to boil in comparision
    Is that with the jetboil style pot on the titanium cooker, or just a normal pot?

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Is that with the jetboil style pot on the titanium cooker, or just a normal pot?
    just the normal pot, would be nice to get the heat exchanger pot but I can't find them in NZ.
    I use the alu pots, titanium are marginally lighter but tend to heat up in one spot rather than spreading the heat. much cheaper too.
    Ping-Ping and Pew-Pew.
    Mathews Monster 28" @ 60#. X-Bolt .308

I have a maplefire heat exchange pot on the way, so I'll do a comparison test with a normal pot on the same cooker once it arrives.

I like my mini titanium meths burner. Did set my foot on fire with it though

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I like my mini titanium meths burner. Did set my foot on fire with it though
    Boots on....or off.....?
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I have just received my Fire-Maple heat exchanger 1L pot and the wee BRS-3000T Ultra-light Titanium Alloy Camping Stove, also got the gas canister filler and waiting on a Fire Maple portable Outdoor Folding Gas Stove Camping Hiking Picnic stove Camping Stove Fms-117t Titanium material 98g to arrive. The new pot on the BRS-3000T boiled 500ml of tap water in 1min. 40sec. flat. The new stove and 100gram canister should all fit in the pot hopefully.
    gadgetman, GravelBen and stretch like this.