Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Fake and Counterfeit Gear on TradeMe

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Possibly as least as good as. One question is relevant: do Minox get their scopes made in China? Some years ago I heard of a manufacturer of kitchen taps etc setting up a factory in China. Market soon got invaded by a flood of perfect counterfeits. Turns out that, as they set up their Chinese factory a copy of the factory was being set up in a nearby Chinese town. What you risk getting from outsourcing manufacture to a Ferengi who lives by "the rules of acquisition".

I'm not anti Chinese, just anti the corrupt CCP which allow scum to operate with impunity.
    some minox are 100% german, some are filipino assembled. havent seen a chinese one so far
    Carbine and Cordite like this.

Possibly as least as good as. One question is relevant: do Minox get their scopes made in China? Some years ago I heard of a manufacturer of kitchen taps etc setting up a factory in China. Market soon got invaded by a flood of perfect counterfeits. Turns out that, as they set up their Chinese factory a copy of the factory was being set up in a nearby Chinese town. What you risk getting from outsourcing manufacture to a Ferengi who lives by "the rules of acquisition".

I'm not anti Chinese, just anti the corrupt CCP which allow scum to operate with impunity.
    Then there’s those who happily import shoddily made items from China and on sell them with no care about the safety etc of the item.

IE there were shiny custom tilt steering columns imported to NZ from China for use in hot rods - only the universal in the column disintegrated under load, rather inconvenient to say the least...
    Russian 22. and Cordite like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

fairgo did a programme on it a few years back.....they sent someone over to suss out the how it happens....it all started over a orange n white rip off chainsaw...when they were at manufacturing plant they could order ANY label they wanted put on them including....direct copy of other makers....
    that whole programme was shockingly eye opening.
    Cordite and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    fairgo did a programme on it a few years back.....they sent someone over to suss out the how it happens....it all started over a orange n white rip off chainsaw...when they were at manufacturing plant they could order ANY label they wanted put on them including....direct copy of other makers....
    that whole programme was shockingly eye opening.
    Whatever you say about Chinese goods you generally get at least what you pay for. If they just did more of their cheap copies honestly they'd get more of the cudos they deserve for turning stuff out so inexpensively. But too many of them can't see beyond greed and profit, a great shame on and disservice to the rest. The slave is usually not fit to be king, and communists once they displace those hated capitalists predictably turn out worse once the boot is on their own foot.

On the other hand... to be balanced ... there were chinese companies recycling Apple goods - phones, ear buds, ipads, ipods etc - fix broken glass etc. Bitchy Sissy Apple Inc. arranged for customs in US to intercept the recycled goods on return as "counterfeit"... basically because Apple don't approve of anyone fixing their stuff. THAT also surely undermines the average Chinese person's respect for copyright law. And mine, I suppose.
    Last edited by Cordite; 04-06-2021 at 08:07 PM.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

My favourite is the landwind x7 which was a copy of the range rover evoque and they got caught because they launched it at the same car show as the range rover and one of the JLR reps was walking around the show and spotted it . https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/g...t-which-better
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatu View Post
    Just a quick warning...

It seems the eBay scourge of knockoffs and fakes has reached TradeMe...

In particular seller mikevr4 seems likely to be selling fake Cold Steel Code4 / Recon1 and Kubun knives

The reason I say likely, is in a previous auction where he claimed to have bought the two knives from Guncity I asked the boxes had Guncity pricing stickers. He answered the question but then blacklisted me from all other auctions.

Those knives sold, but now has multiple listings for the same knives again. Listed again at $1 reserve with just the standard blurb stolen from bladehq etc....plus colour options not available on the real deal.

So just a heads up. If buying a cold Steel on TradeMe it might pay to check what's selling on AliExpress first...

I actually bought one of his recon 1's and here's my experiences.

The handle itself feels just like the real thing but the blade has wiggle in it.
    Also he posted the listing as a "S35VN" but the stamp on the blade says the older "CTS-XHP" so i thought he was selling an older model and accidentally put the new model descriptions in.
    The screws on the knife handle and pocket clip do not tighten as if the holes were stripped
    The DLC coating comes off very easily

It's a good copy but the quality is not there
    johnd and Moa Hunter like this.

Try sacking a fake Rolex, Omega etc and see how long it takes for Trademe to respond, probably minutes
    rugerman likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    some minox are 100% german, some are filipino assembled. havent seen a chinese one so far
    Genuine chineese models are the ZL - stick to ZA's i think they have SHOTT glass

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Try sacking a fake Rolex, Omega etc and see how long it takes for Trademe to respond, probably minutes
    Yet fake Atlas bipods are sold week in and week out without anyone at Trademe batting an eye.
    When I was selling my genuine atlas bipods I went through all of the clearly obvious fakes, and reported the auctions for the breach of intellectual property, just so I didn't have to deal with all of the muppets putting in comments like "this is for sale for $39 elsewhere on trademe".
    After almost a month, and 4 sales cycles, not a single one got removed from trademe. Total joke.