Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By 16Tontovarish
  • 2 Post By Sharki
  • 1 Post By uk_exile
  • 2 Post By 16Tontovarish
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: A few less common recommendations

A few less common recommendations

Since I have some time I've decided to chuck up some mentions of gear I've used that I couldn't find decent writeups about for NZ use.
    nothing in depth, but I know I prefer to have a readup about what I'm buying before I open the wallet so hopefully these will be of use to someone.

feel free to drop in some words about bits of less common gear you've had below.

Macpac bush cocoon https://www.macpac.co.nz/macpac-bush...ag/119685.html

expensive, but I like it. super quick to put up, low profile so it just ignores the wind, big enough to get a bit of kit in. I've slept in it from about -6 to around 20c and it's been fine. it is single wall with the condensation issues that can come with that.
    biggest thing I'd change is putting a vent at the foot end.
    if you chuck your sleeping bag in it they both fit into a standard bag compression sack. has an insect mesh behind the door which is awesome on the west coast.

swazi windriver https://swazi.co.nz/products/windriv...43456123895993

I'm a big wool fan, so for something synthetic to impress me it has to be pretty damn good. this is.
    breathes damn near as good as wool in my experience, which is great because I sweat like a bastard, completely windproof, good pockets and hood, blood washed right out.
    I got caught in a thunderstorm earlier in the year with just this for rain protection, and despite Swazi saying it was not a rain jacket not a drop came through the seams. about an hour of walking down a track, something like 16mm of rain and it was fine. admittedly the fleece outer layer got sodden so it weighed about twice as much as when I left, but eh.

grimfrost wool pants https://grimfrost.com/collections/vi...trousers-brown

I wanted some wool pants but didn't want to spend $250+ on micklagaard or firstlite so I decided to take a punt on these.
    bloody good, nice and quiet, warm. weird cut around the bum, but it lets them move nicely hill climbing. no pockets or fly either but that's no big deal to me.
    more of a strongwool than a soft merino, so if the feel of that on your skin doesn't appeal stay far away. going to buy another couple of pairs for next winter.

if I think of anything else I'll chuck it in later, but in the meantime what's your oddball items you'd recommend?

Mtac thermals
    Can't beat quality vs price
    Better qaukity than top macpac ones 1/5 the price
    uk_exile and RV1 like this.

Those wool pants look legit. I'm a big wool fan too. What's your favourite wool jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    Mtac thermals
    Can't beat quality vs price
    Better qaukity than top macpac ones 1/5 the price
    I've got some M-tac pants and shorts. Soooo comfy!
    paremata likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
    Those wool pants look legit. I'm a big wool fan too. What's your favourite wool jacket?
    They're bloody incredible for the price.

my favourite wool jacket is an old tweed one my dad found in a second hand store back in the early 70s, but 50 years later it's finally on its last legs. will probably bite the bullet and get a micklagaard so I can hand it down to my kids.

the warehouses backcountry do a damn good cheap wool jersey, but its not super windproof.
    I usually wear a merino possum blend turtle sweater (might be made by the wool company?) which keeps me warm enough then if it gets too windy or wet I chuck the swazi or old wool jacket over top.
    Micky Duck and Roy G Biv like this.

I use the Swazi Nahanni it sheds a surprising amount of water too.

best value for money thermal clothing is from postie plus.....dirt cheap and it lasts well.
    kristopher and RV1 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    They're bloody incredible for the price.

my favourite wool jacket is an old tweed one my dad found in a second hand store back in the early 70s, but 50 years later it's finally on its last legs. will probably bite the bullet and get a micklagaard so I can hand it down to my kids.

the warehouses backcountry do a damn good cheap wool jersey, but its not super windproof.
    I usually wear a merino possum blend turtle sweater (might be made by the wool company?) which keeps me warm enough then if it gets too windy or wet I chuck the swazi or old wool jacket over top.
    Those Micklagaard jackets and anoraks are definitely an heirloom piece eh. Beautifully made.
    I get what you're saying about handing things down. I just bought a new waxed canvas jacket and every time I wear it I'm like "this thing's gonna outlast me" and it's a cool feeling

For merino, Just Another Fisherman do a nice long sleeve with a button collar which I much prefer to a zip. On special at the moment & you can get $10 off your first order. Unfortunately the long johns are not as good, the shape and sizing is a bit off.
    https://www.justanotherfisherman.co....rino-underlays
    Behind every traverse fate lay in ambush

i live in this https://www.stanfields.com/en-nz/pro...ht-wool-henley . about to get some more to start wearing in

I second the Macpac bush cocoon and swazi Windriver fleece. Have recently (in last 18 months) gotten both of those - and love them. The bush cocoon is light and compact, but super functional and comfortable. And the swazi windriver is hard to beat in the cold!