Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Firstlite reviews/opinions

Firstlite reviews/opinions

Anyone on here running firstlite gear and got a review on how it’s going with the kiwi environment?
    Do you like it or rate other brands better

I have a First light corrugate jacket wind proof but that's it rain pisses in and doesn't breath at all so never brought any more.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

MB
    I have merino top and bottom base layers. I wear them all the time and rate them highly as they cover a wide range of temperatures. The bottoms can be removed without taking shorts or boots off which is great. I guess merino is merino, so you could buy cheaper, but I like camo for bush hunting and these ticked all the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I have merino top and bottom base layers. I wear them all the time and rate them highly as they cover a wide range of temperatures. The bottoms can be removed without taking shorts or boots off which is great. I guess merino is merino, so you could buy cheaper, but I like camo for bush hunting and these ticked all the boxes.
    Had to laugh

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....lothing-88729/
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Cheers for the replies , not to caught up on a specific brand just my thinking buying a hunting associated brand you would think they would be fit for purpose but I have learnt with some it’s not the case I’ve given up on the local stuff with it not going the distance you would expect !
    Got wear on earth puffer which I will replace once it gives up been thrashed and abused but still going strong.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post

I think you missed the point.
    Sonicjoe likes this.

You’d be better off spending the money on going hunting.
    RV1 and Billbob like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Have you had a bad experience with their gear would you like to expand on your statement?

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    I have a First light corrugate jacket wind proof but that's it rain pisses in and doesn't breath at all so never brought any more.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Purchased a windproof jacket and disappointed it doesn't keep rain out? Am I missing something?

Same as most gear if you actually look at what your buying and makes sure it's suits what you what's it's all been good quality. I rate there merino have a wick hood that's been worn on almost every hunting including a guiding season in Canada that's still going with a few minor holes in the wrist. I've worn it stand alone bush bashing plenty. I've worn merino from macpac out in a trip so I'd give firstlite a thumbs up in that regard. I've had bad luck with bushbuck, kuiu, macpac and kathmandu in regards to merinos. Only the firstlite and some mons I got on clearance has lasted any significant time. I'd rate kuius pants better other gear I usually prefer mountaineering stuff like arcteryx etc.
    7mmwsm, hotsoup and RV1 like this.

Check out earth sea sky, NZ made high end mountaineering and backpacking clothing. It's outstanding.

I personally use the Energy as a baselayer and Flash pants. (Have used a lot of firstlite in the past)

www.earthseasky.co.nz
    cmore and Dama dama like this.

Check out earth sea sky, NZ made high end mountaineering and backpacking clothing. It's outstanding.

I personally use the Energy as a baselayer and Flash pants. (Have used a lot of firstlite in the past)

www.earthseasky.co.nz
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Younghunter123 View Post
    Have you had a bad experience with their gear would you like to expand on your statement?
    I own one firstlite top that I got in the States on special for a fraction of the price here that I use for casual wear, my comment relates to it being very expensive and if you are a “young hunter” starting out then you don’t need it to go hunting. Spend your money on petrol, food, bullets & go hunting.
    kiwijames and RV1 like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

the best way to buy firstlite is to wait for it to go on 40% sale in the states and get it shipped over via the nz post forwarder. the prices for it here are an absolute rip.

got a set of the obsidian foundry pants on the way, plus a wick hoody so I'll let you know.

Got some of their gear via Points South. Cirrus and Compraghe, down jacket, and corrugated jackets. A hybrid jacket and Kiln Hoody and other bits and pieces. Got obsidian merion trou but they are too long for me so going to get Montane short leg trou from Further Faster. I really like the gear. I want to try some Stone Glacier gear but the postage kills it sadly.

Cheers hotsoup I see bivouac stocks it so will go in to check it out . Have you gone away from firstlite completely now ?
    And yes I know where you’re coming from outdoorlad. Plenty of hunting getting done don’t worry about that !