Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Fishing/Dive boat options

Like the winch handle on that reel. To me that would be an exciting but very uncomfortable day
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

anything over 90 hp you better start saving for every trip out coz man they start sucking the juice. if you just want to take the family out for fishing diving etc no 50 mile missons then I reckon 90 hp is all u will ever need, and on a 5.3m ally boat that will push you plenty fast enough with power to spare unless you are going to do the load all the boys on with all the piss trips!

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Buccaneer 540 sport. Heaps of room under the floor for 2 tanks, dive gear in the rear locker's and rod's in the rocket launcher. 115 Yamaha 2stroke , all the power I need for Skiing and wakeboarding as well. Don't have to go up in to some pokie cabin to pull the pick up just go thru the split windscreen. Perfect for my needs, so much so that I got another smaller version the 440 Sport, ideal for 2 people when I sneak away to the Bach.
    Gibo likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

for what its worth, I test deove a Mclay 590 (I think 590 - around that size anyway) it had a 90 Honda 4 on it, with 3 Adults in it, it really felt like it was struggling like fuck to get up on the plane and go, it put us off the 90 and I think 115min for a boat 590 - 6 meters
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Buccaneer 540 sport. Heaps of room under the floor for 2 tanks, dive gear in the rear locker's and rod's in the rocket launcher. 115 Yamaha 2stroke , all the power I need for Skiing and wakeboarding as well. Don't have to go up in to some pokie cabin to pull the pick up just go thru the split windscreen. Perfect for my needs, so much so that I got another smaller version the 440 Sport, ideal for 2 people when I sneak away to the Bach.
    Nice boat
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    for what its worth, I test deove a Mclay 590 (I think 590 - around that size anyway) it had a 90 Honda 4 on it, with 3 Adults in it, it really felt like it was struggling like fuck to get up on the plane and go, it put us off the 90 and I think 115min for a boat 590 - 6 meters
    Yep nothing worse some an underpowered boat, and today the efficiencies are good, shit I had a 166 steadecraft with a 150 hp v6 all 1982 man that drank like there was no tomorrow, but hey as a ski boat it was a ripper, 60 mph yahoo, then I had a fig lass fireball 14'-6"with a 140 Johnson on it as a ski tug, no bad habits just grunt excellent boat.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Need more power to get out of the water in lakes too don't forget. Motor makes less power above sea level and fresh water is way less buoyant than salt.
    Can make the boat feel very sluggish.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    R93 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I've heard the etech evinrudes are good for a two stroke , super efficient on gas and oil with little maintence . Just have to use special oil .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

We use a 6.8m centre console Inflateable RIB with 90hp 2-stroke Yamaha.

There is no wasted space on them, can walk all around the boat, can easily have 4+ people SCUBA diving off of it and you can get on and off of it over the side.

It's just really practical and tows easy because it's so light and uses bugger all fuel compared to equivalent glass boats. It has no shade but a cover could easily be put up. Very stable. I don't know why they aren't more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    I've heard the etech evinrudes are good for a two stroke , super efficient on gas and oil with little maintence . Just have to use special oil .
    yep they are bloody good motors. Great performance, but i have a fishing buddy who had one (250 Etec0, Lunched itself at 450 hours and Evinrude did not want to know. Now it has a Yamaha on it with a corresponding dent in his wallet.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    yep they are bloody good motors. Great performance, but i have a fishing buddy who had one (250 Etec0, Lunched itself at 450 hours and Evinrude did not want to know. Now it has a Yamaha on it with a corresponding dent in his wallet.
    Another issue/consideration for me living on the coast is getting a motor serviced properly.
    What sort of service regime do the Yamaha 2 strokes require?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Another issue/consideration for me living on the coast is getting a motor serviced properly.
    What sort of service regime do the Yamaha 2 strokes require?

I reckon you could most likely do a std 2 stroke yourself as they are quite simple. In all my travels for work on the seiners I have seen them try all brands and types. Still the most common outboard on their speed boats is the Yamaha 2 stroke. They get hell. Started on deck, straight to full tit as soon as they hit the water, then switched off and stored with no flushing. Ships engineers can do all maintenance inboard and spares are cheap. I asked how the 4 strokes and E tec's went as was told. " they go fucken good when they are going and when they stop we have to send em back to the states for repair". Usually the report comes back "not worth repair

My brother had 2 old 1988 Yamaha 90s on the back of his old boat. They looked like corroded lumps mounted on the back of the boat but the never let him down
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Think the old mans one was 10 hours to adjust oil back from rich run in setting and new plugs. Then 50 then 100 200 etc

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Yup should have remembered what I seen on the boat I worked on.
    Apart from the skip all the motors were yamies.
    Trashed. Winched up and left. And they at least operated like that for months on end.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I reckon you could most likely do a std 2 stroke yourself as they are quite simple. In all my travels for work on the seiners I have seen them try all brands and types. Still the most common outboard on their speed boats is the Yamaha 2 stroke. They get hell. Started on deck, straight to full tit as soon as they hit the water, then switched off and stored with no flushing. Ships engineers can do all maintenance inboard and spares are cheap. I asked how the 4 strokes and E tec's went as was told. " they go fucken good when they are going and when they stop we have to send em back to the states for repair". Usually the report comes back "not worth repair

My brother had 2 old 1988 Yamaha 90s on the back of his old boat. They looked like corroded lumps mounted on the back of the boat but the never let him down
    That's because the direct copy of the original..... Johnson/ Evenrude. Now they don't dissolve like the early ones?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough