Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Fishing/Dive boat options

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    To an extent but everything is a compromise.
    Deep Vs ride nicer goin into a sea but take more power to plane are less stable at rest.
    The god awful roll and bow steer in a following sea from a quarter has more to do with bow shape and buoyancy or displacement in the bow section than v . Some boats can be down right dangerous in these conditions.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Yep, I find I have to trim mine bow hard down in the following sea. Also its much more pleasant and less "interesting" to "pilot" when I have a big load on board. I have been in a surtees with the "balast system" and empty the the thing was down right dangerous, fill up the tank an was totally different boat.

Not quite what I would have thought. Bow steer can be a bitch and down right dangerous , especially if you are new to the boating thing. I have found from being in one or 3 different brands /styles trailer boats over the last 13 years that glass boats ride much better and seem to require less operator input. Alloy boats (deep V monohull Not Pontoon style) seem to need you as a driver to stay awake and monitor / adjust trim.

Too many people get hung up on fuel economy at the expense of ride/comfort. Best I can get is 1.6km to the litre, but some days to get that economy would result in a down right unpleasant ride.
    veitnamcam and Munsey like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    yep they are bloody good motors. Great performance, but i have a fishing buddy who had one (250 Etec0, Lunched itself at 450 hours and Evinrude did not want to know. Now it has a Yamaha on it with a corresponding dent in his wallet.
    did anyone have an idea on cause? ecu scanned?
    will be running an etec on our new boat
    everything on ours computer controled even right down to the pump in the oil tank

The old man has a Fyran 550 Horizon running a 90hp 2stroke Yamaha, with a 90litre underfloor fuel tank (Same hull as the newer 580 Horizon). Its a little underpowered with four or five of us and shitloads of dive and fishing gear but otherwise pretty good.

Its a real beamy boat compared to most others I have seen in the equivalent size which is good as it gives a little more fishing/diving space but I guess it makes for a more bouncy ride..? Have a look in a few boats before buying one as the floor space varies a lot, had this parked up next to a 609 stabi and the cockpit was significantly bigger and the sides are a lot higher.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    did anyone have an idea on cause? ecu scanned?
    will be running an etec on our new boat
    everything on ours computer controled even right down to the pump in the oil tank

Not as far as I am aware, I have an aversion to computer contolled stuff hence why I am happy with my old 2001 SWS electronic nothing. I can pull start mine even with a flat battery.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93
    [QUOTE=Nick.m;159471]The old man has a Fyran 550 Horizon running a 90hp 2stroke Yamaha, with a 90litre underfloor fuel tank (Same hull as the newer 580 Horizon). Its a little underpowered with four or five of us and shitloads of dive and fishing gear but otherwise pretty good.QUOTE]

It is a setup I am very keen on with a slightly bigger motor.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

My first boat was a Sea Craft Cosa Mesa with a 70 hp Johnson on it. The cavitation plate was about three inches below the keel line so it would sorta steer, it would bow steer into a passing boats wake and if you turned to hard it chime walked to about 45 degrees. Shit I learnt about bad habits with that thing, but we all went fishing and learnt to ski behind the bitch.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

[QUOTE=R93;159539]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.m View Post
    The old man has a Fyran 550 Horizon running a 90hp 2stroke Yamaha, with a 90litre underfloor fuel tank (Same hull as the newer 580 Horizon). Its a little underpowered with four or five of us and shitloads of dive and fishing gear but otherwise pretty good.QUOTE]

It is a setup I am very keen on with a slightly bigger motor.
    Yeap a bigger donk would be good, id say a 115 would be near perfect. In the sea on a good day can push 45mph but cruises around 20-25mph. As I said in general the 90 is enough, just when loaded up or pulling skiers etc she struggles a little.

R93
    [QUOTE=Nick.m;159663]
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post

Yeap a bigger donk would be good, id say a 115 would be near perfect. In the sea on a good day can push 45mph but cruises around 20-25mph. As I said in general the 90 is enough, just when loaded up or pulling skiers etc she struggles a little.

I seen a nice one with a 115 Yamaha on it the other day advertised somewhere. It was a mid 90's model 540-550 still asking 25K. I cant find it again.

Mikee, the 115 Yamaha we can get here is different to the ones used on the purse seiners?

Mikee, the 115 Yamaha we can get here is different to the ones used on the purse seiners?
    Yep, never seen one here except on the seiners.

R93
    Ha! Cheers mate. I wonder what different about them?

Are the seiner ones older carby ones perhaps?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ha! Cheers mate. I wonder what different about them?
    They have a 2 position throttle, Flat tack or off
    R93 likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    They have a 2 position throttle, Flat tack or off

They even run well, while suspended out of the water

They even run well, while suspended out of the water
    Yep thats under "optional water cooling" in the "options" they also go from "Full adhead" to "full astern" in the blink of an eye

Kevlarcat with twin yammy 2 strokes are the ducks ! Yes I do have one