Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Garmin rhino info wanted

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,422

    Garmin rhino info wanted

    What has been you're experience with the rhino

    My main concerns are how long does the rechargeable battery last and have you gone towards a AA battery pack

    Also how we'll does the radio work.

    What other features are useful that you reckon set it apart

    Cheers

  2. #2
    GSP Mad Munsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    5,234
    Where are you ? Welle? Chch? Or Waikato ? . If you are in ch ch you can have a play with my one . As long as it don't come back looking like your 62
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  3. #3
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    What has been you're experience with the rhino

    My main concerns are how long does the rechargeable battery last and have you gone towards a AA battery pack

    Also how we'll does the radio work.

    What other features are useful that you reckon set it apart

    Cheers
    I have several Rino 650s.

    Batteries last a good couple of days if your not on the radio all the time.
    I also have the lighter socket charger and can recharge in the field from a small 12v battery or accessory socket on the quad.
    My mate has the AA pack but has never had to use it yet, but it is a good back up option if your planning a long trip.
    I'm also sure you can get a small solar charger too.

    The radio works great, distance is obviously affected but the terrain but I have found it to be very good.

    The note sending option is bloody great for silent communication.

    Navigation through the screens is easy as and they work well in heavy bush and difficult terrain.

    If you purchase one put a screen protector on it before you go bush and it will last for ever.

    I also purchased the earphone with boom mike. This works great for hands free communication.

    I like them.......... A lot.

    Cheers
    Pete
    Munsey likes this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,422
    Cheers munsey yeah I'm in chch I had a play with one in the shop and like how they work was just wondering how people find them working together with a mate, me and a few mates will probably get some

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,422
    Cheers p38 just what I'm looking for, think i will buy the aa pack as a back up just in case it's only another $50 or so so not terrible.

    Yep the txt feature seems bloody good, was also reading there is a weather forcast feature? Is this true?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,422
    Also weight and size? They feel pretty big in the hand but I guess you get used to it

  7. #7
    GSP Mad Munsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    5,234
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Cheers munsey yeah I'm in chch I had a play with one in the shop and like how they work was just wondering how people find them working together with a mate, me and a few mates will probably get some
    Unfortunately I've got no mates
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,422
    I will be you're mate!

    Small print: only if you guide me to every Canterbury hunting spot you have ever stumbled across...
    Munsey likes this.

  9. #9
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Cheers p38 just what I'm looking for, think i will buy the aa pack as a back up just in case it's only another $50 or so so not terrible.

    Yep the txt feature seems bloody good, was also reading there is a weather forcast feature? Is this true?
    Not sure on the weather forecast feature.

    If there is I've not found it yet.

    Weight and size are no problem .... fits in my top pocket no sweat.

    Cheers
    Pete

  10. #10
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,543
    Pete. Did you ever figure out the polling feature. IE. Does your buddy have to press the ptt button for you to be able to see their position or can you poll their posi remotely?
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  11. #11
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    21,029
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I will be you're mate!

    Small print: only if you guide me to every Canterbury hunting spot you have ever stumbled across...
    I can help you there mate, the chip Munsey has is encoded with a beacon system. I have remote access to every track, route and waypoint on his device
    Sorry Munsey, you didnt read my fine print

  12. #12
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Pete. Did you ever figure out the polling feature. IE. Does your buddy have to press the ptt button for you to be able to see their position or can you poll their posi remotely?
    Pengy

    The polling works like this.

    Your mate pushes the poll button and his position is updated on your unit.

    Your position wont be updated on his unit unless you also push the poll button.

    Cheers
    Pete

  13. #13
    GSP Mad Munsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    5,234
    The weather forecast feature is simple . Hold it flat , if it gets wet it's raining , if it goes white it's snowing .......................
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,422
    How does the unit pick up other units and what range. E.g if there is a random fulla walking around with a rhino 1km down stream that you don't no about will his show up on your unit or do you program them to work together?

  15. #15
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    How does the unit pick up other units and what range. E.g if there is a random fulla walking around with a rhino 1km down stream that you don't no about will his show up on your unit or do you program them to work together?
    Nope

    you have to add the units to each other.

    If you make radio contact with a stranger you can request to add them too.

    Both parties need to accept.

    Cheers
    Pete
    Munsey likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What is going on here?? Give me info
    By Steveh054 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 06:38 PM
  2. Black rhino standoff
    By Ryan in forum Photography and Video
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-09-2013, 08:22 PM
  3. 4wd rhino in deep water :)
    By 7mmsaum in forum Off topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15-05-2013, 06:57 PM
  4. Info wanted on Kontiki
    By POME in forum Fishing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-05-2013, 11:38 AM
  5. Garmin Rhino 650 GPS.... But wait, there's More!!!
    By Homer in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 19-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!