Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Garmin rhino info wanted

Quite sure you need to programme your mates in. They wont simply find another rino user at random. I would guess that in theory at least, the unit could potentially show other users who happen to be using exactly the same uhf channel as you.the chances of that happening arepretty much like winning first division
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I found that they only update your position to another unit if you are in good radio contact, ie. in the bush radio only works within 3-400m and it will only update if you have a clear, strong signal. battery lasts for a few days easy, I also have the AA battery pack as a back up but have not required it as yet

Have you figured out if they update positions without the other party pressing the ptt button? The Garmin promo vid suggests that they can be used to find your mate (s) even if they are unconcious for instance. Nobody has been able to clarify this yet though. Would be usefull if it is the case.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Have you figured out if they update positions without the other party pressing the ptt button? The Garmin promo vid suggests that they can be used to find your mate (s) even if they are unconcious for instance. Nobody has been able to clarify this yet though. Would be usefull if it is the case.
    That would be bloody handy Pengy.

I'd like to know too.

Cheers
    Pete

Right now that I have picked my two rhinos up a heads up to people that Christchurch h and f are selling them for $399 each....

According to the manual.. (I just picked one of these up a couple of weeks ago too)

"Radio Settings
    Select Radio >  > Setup Radio.
    • Send Location—enables you to send your current location after each transmission (page 8).
    Allow Polling—enables polling. Polling allows another Rino user to get your location by sending a poll request."

I think this works once you've added them as a contact, you can then choose to navigate to a contact, which I'd assume would send a poll request to their unit?

Yep, i got that far thanks Striker. But need to suss out if sending a poll request you then get an automatic position update without the other party having to do anything. As far as we can tell, all you get is the position from when they last used the radio
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

P38
    Yep, i got that far thanks Striker. But need to suss out if sending a poll request you then get an automatic position update without the other party having to do anything. As far as we can tell, all you get is the position from when they last used the radio
    That's how I figured it too pengy.

I just had a thought. Only a small number of channels on uhf allow for data to be transmitted/received. It could be that you have be using one of those channels to get full features. I am away from home so dont have the list in front of me but someone will have it for sure
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I just had a thought. Only a small number of channels on uhf allow for data to be transmitted/received. It could be that you have be using one of those channels to get full features. I am away from home so dont have the list in front of me but someone will have it for sure
    Channels 22 and 23 are data ONLY, but I think the other channels allow for voice and data both to be transmitted? Again, not certain on this, and I don't have an extra unit or any mates with one to test it out.

I have one unit now and the other one should be in store next week so can have a good play then but hopefully you guys will have it sorted by then

So can people with a normal UHF radio talk to someone on a Rino? or does the Rino use a completely different system?

Normal uhf. Just make sure you are all on same channel and ccts setting.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Banned
    If anyone is looking at getting one of these hunting and fishing have them for $400 ATM down from $750 :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by RODSTA View Post
    If anyone is looking at getting one of these hunting and fishing have them for $400 ATM down from $750 :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2
    is it the Rino 610 or the Rino 650 they have on sale?