Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Bagheera
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 3 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 3 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By Hunteast
  • 1 Post By Inder
  • 1 Post By Bagheera

Thread: Gear Review: Beretta SAKO brand sling

Gear Review: Beretta SAKO brand sling

This was an impulse purchase one afternoon at a big box shooting store.

I'd been keeping an eye out for a 1" synthetic rubberised sling, because the darn thing keeps sliding off my shoulder.

So, great ! Here was a handsome looking sling, same brand as my gun too and matching colour scheme.
    I even bought a matching pair of black (Tikka) sling swivels because my silver ones had perished.

Name:  A Sako Sling.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  597.0 KB

Nice rubber backing, very comfy and stays put on my shoulder real good.

Name:  Sling rubber fabric.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  793.8 KB

I tried it out on the range as a sort of shooting sling and hit a couple of targets prone at 500m (big targets). The texture and grip were very good for that.

Now, a hunting sling has to be tough and durable to the elements.
    Has to match the "mate with a heart of steel" advertising they used a couple of years ago.

Name:  Mist Lookout.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  505.8 KB

After only a couple of days of hunting in the wet, I realised the smooth strap down the middle is not neoprene like a crampon strap or my All Weather Turner sling, as I had assumed. No, it is soft, shiny leather. and the shiny metal buckles tapped on my pack. Not to worry, a bit of elastoplast tape fixed the tapping and more or less covered over the big silvery rivets. In a way, those buckles compensated for a design fault in the Sako/Tikka sling swivels. Although these swivels are very space-economical, holding the sling closer to the stock than other brands, the detaching mechanism breaks up, as a small spring acts as the detent holding them together and I've ripped a couple apart removing the sling to dry out at the end of the day. So a detachable buckled sling could be quite good if you use those sako brand swivels.

Name:  Silver buckles.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  589.3 KB

The leather end loops are narrower than any sling swivel and pull out to the edge of the swivel, scrunching up. There's no need for them to be so narrow. Something matching the width of the sako sling swivels would be much better.

Then we have the fact that they are made of leather, which has a very limited lifespan in NZ hunting conditions. Here it is after only half a dozen easy days on the hill. This would not last a year's hunting in the Kaimais or the Tararuas. Quite soon, I will need to head off to a saddlery shop or similar and see if I can get some proper neroprene straps onto it. A pity, because the main rubberised body of the sling is great.

Name:  Delam loop 2.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  740.1 KB
    viper likes this.

Interesting post. I brought the same sling from H&F on sale about 2 yrs ago. Lasted bugger all for the same reasons you mentioned. Poor workmanship i feel and obviously NZ Beretta have never tried the product themselves? My sling was fitted to a T3. Maybe that's why the slings were going cheap when i purchased?

Sent my swivels to cactus to make me a rifle sling and it's the only sling I'll ever use, simple, strong and will outlast me I'd say. From memory it was about $60 including the cactus strap adjustment buckle. I think people look at rifle slings and think they need to have neoprene on them or be wide etc to be comfortable but a simple inch wide sling is by far the best I've found
    7mmsaum and Dama dama like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Name:  IMG20220904062045.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  2.79 MB
    Name:  IMG20220904062015.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  2.03 MB
    Pixie Z, dannyb and 25/08 IMP like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Banned
    @Bagheera, I tried all kinds of slings and swivels. IMO the only sling to have is the Niggeloh. About $90 - $100 but well worth it. There are also hard plastic / Nylon sling swivels that are very similar to the ones you used with a screw fastener available. If you have trouble waterproofing and protecting leather items, there is a product sold by chemists called 'Zinc and Caster oil Ointment' that works very well. It is sold in 500gram tubs for preventing Nappy Rash and is better than any other leather dressing including 'Huberds' etc and is perfectly safe on our skin if it comes through gloves etc.

Name:  Sling.jpeg
Views: 563
Size:  69.1 KB

Been using this Uncle Mike's suede cobra style for my heavy airguns, no issues of slipping off shoulder and comfortable. Took out his new one today for my new PCP.

The leather on that Sako brand sling is only shitting itself cause its shit leather. Period.

I have proper leather slings on many of my rifles. Some would be 40-50 years old, and they are still fine.
    Woody, Moa Hunter and Hunteast like this.

Totally agree - Bershitter - Sako take note - cheapskates.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I think all Leather will fail when its wet for days on end and only half an inch wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Inder View Post
    Attachment 205396

Been using this Uncle Mike's suede cobra style for my heavy airguns, no issues of slipping off shoulder and comfortable. Took out his new one today for my new PCP.
    Hi Inder,

Those heavy airguns can be pretty heavy.
    Do you know a way to attach a sling to a spring gun foreend ?
    Can you replace one of the cross screws with a bolt you can attach a swivel to ?
    A pic would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Hi Inder,

Those heavy airguns can be pretty heavy.
    Do you know a way to attach a sling to a spring gun foreend ?
    Can you replace one of the cross screws with a bolt you can attach a swivel to ?
    A pic would be interesting.

Hi Bagheera,

I remember seeing those cross bolt sling studs, don't remember which rifles were they for. I simply use uncle mikes wood screw studs which come with swivels. Today I took one out of my Diana52 (really heavy gun) and put in the PCP for mounting a bipod. Never had any issue with the wood studs till date. For Tx and HW97 front swivel is mounted on a barrel band and rear one in stock.

Name:  BhimStud.jpeg
Views: 496
Size:  138.0 KBName:  Diana52Stud.jpeg
Views: 496
Size:  70.2 KB

HTH

BTW Found Studs for direct replacement of stock front screw on UK eBay. (Not sure about posting urls rule so not doing that) but if you search with "STAINLESS SLING SWIVEL STUD SUITS WEIHRAUCH HW100". You will find it. As per the ad it fits HW99 and HW35 too. I am sure it will be there for other rifles too.
    Bagheera likes this.

How it should have been made

Found an unused neoprene strap just the right length that I once bought to make up some crampon straps.
    Used the stitch unpicker to remove the "leather", which turned out to be two different sorts of material.
    With considerable technical clumsiness, I sewed the new strap on, simplifying the design by doing without buckles and using stainless 5mm bolts instead. So, it is adjustable for length but only with tools.

Name:  mod sling foreend 640.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  735.1 KB

Name:  mod sling butt end 800.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  561.3 KB

I've used it for about 10 days of hunting now, mostly wet.
    Name:  Bagheera at Orongo 800.jpeg
Views: 415
Size:  1.27 MB

The neoprene strap shows no sign of wearing and this is about the same amount of use as in the earlier pic, where it was seriously falling apart.
    I couldn't really recommend the bolt method of fixing the strap on. They are a bit too bulky and put some light scratches on the stock not to mention my shoulder and hand. A couple of layers of brown tape have partly reduced this lumpiness but are a bit ugly.
    Special leather needles and the bolts cost about $30.

Name:  Mod sling 10 d use 800.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  804.5 KB

Your one cool "cat" you can likely get some chicago screws to replace your bolts that would mske it much less likely to scratch limbs and stocks as they have a much latter profile

I will echo what was mentioned earlier the Niggaloh slings are very nice to carry, good grip and just the right amount of stretch that they don't cut into you at all.
    I spent a few hours carrying the Lupo the other day and barely noticed it was over my shoulder going through some fairly dense vegatation. I will be replacing all my slings with them.
    Last edited by dannyb; 23-02-2023 at 02:44 PM.
    #DANNYCENT

Thanks @dannyb

This is a Chicago screw.
    Name:  Chicago Interscrew close up.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  482.9 KB
    I bought a selection from Gordon Harris and they arrived as quickly as another item from Reloaders - which is saying something.
    They are used for holding together papers, photo albums and such. As you can see, the thread is not that meaty and you wouldn't expect them to have the tensile strength of the stainless engineers bolt. However, mostly strain will be across them not lengthwise so I've given it a try.

Here's some of the gear I used:
    Name:  Sling bolting gear.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  960.1 KB

Here they are on the sling.
    Name:  Chicago Scr ews on sling.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  537.1 KB
    They're a lot lower profile than the bolts.
    If I get worried about durability, next I'll try grinding down the heads on the stainless bolts and put them back in.
    Another option is a tightly knotted bit of red spectra cord through the holes.
    dannyb likes this.