Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Waterproofing boots? Waterbased or Silicone?

Waterproofing boots? Waterbased or Silicone?

I'm waterproofing a pair of Lowa Tibets.

In a video Lowa tell you to use only water based wax and spray. Is this the case or is using silicone waxes ok too?

What are folks actually doing for their boot?

Use what they suggest. The glue that holds the rand on comes undone if you use the wrong stuff, I learnt this from experience.
    kristopher likes this.

You may find that using a product that hasn’t been approved by Lowa will invalidate the warranty - at least this is what I was told regarding some Meindl boots I used to have.

Meindl and Lowa (and Hanwag) are made by brothers and I would be surprised if the warranties were vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
    You may find that using a product that hasn’t been approved by Lowa will invalidate the warranty - at least this is what I was told regarding some Meindl boots I used to have.

Meindl and Lowa (and Hanwag) are made by brothers and I would be surprised if the warranties were vastly different.
    How do they know what you have used over the years Iv used all sorts off shit & when boots have gone back not one has test them to see what has been used

Banned
    If the Goretex liner is still functioning and the boots are waterproof use the lowa dressing. If the gortex is time expired and leaks, then lift and re-glue the rand with proper glue and use the Castor oil and Zinc cream that chemists sell to prevent baby's nappy rash to protect and waterproof the boots.
    shananah likes this.

Once the gortex liner is worn through, (toe nails) leather treatments/sealers only provide short term water proofing. Silicone or wax based. A couple of days in wet grass and bush and it wears off the leather despite how much you rub and hair dryer it in. It’s pretty frustrating.new boot time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Once the gortex liner is worn through, (toe nails) leather treatments/sealers only provide short term water proofing. Silicone or wax based. A couple of days in wet grass and bush and it wears off the leather despite how much you rub and hair dryer it in. It’s pretty frustrating.new boot time.
    The Castor oil and Zinc cream is superior to everything else and will provide excellent water proofing for weeks. Beats Hydrous wool fat, neatsfoot, Huberds, Beeswax + Tung oil + Mutton fat etc etc that I have tried. It is also very kind to leather

Do you make that up yourself or is it a commercial product?

..ignore, just saw above..

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
    I'm waterproofing a pair of Lowa Tibets.

In a video Lowa tell you to use only water based wax and spray. Is this the case or is using silicone waxes ok too?

What are folks actually doing for their boot?
    Yeah you have to use the Lowa stuff until the warranty is up, or it voids warranty. I did that but find their stuff is pretty light and needs to be done every outing. Ive switched to Nikwax products since my warranty period is up. Its better than the Lowa stuff.

Those Goretex socks you used to get were good at this point. Havent looked for them for a while though?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJames View Post
    Yeah you have to use the Lowa stuff until the warranty is up, or it voids warranty. I did that but find their stuff is pretty light and needs to be done every outing. Ive switched to Nikwax products since my warranty period is up. Its better than the Lowa stuff.
    I would be wary of any product with bees wax bought some looked the part used on my motorcycle leathers and bike boots bloody useless as soon as it got cold it simply fell of in white lumps changed to a german saddle oil and never looked back

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Those Goretex socks you used to get were good at this point. Havent looked for them for a while though?
    Seal Skins? I never had much joy with them. Either sweaty or wet feet. Not around anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.

Still around seal skinz and available in NZ from most big players

Seal Skins? I never had much joy with them. Either sweaty or wet feet. Not around anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had the bushbuck waterproof socks and echo this when they worked you had dry feet until they got sweaty, the waterproof membrane in them wore out pretty quick on the balls of the foot and toes transforming them into non waterproof sweaty socks
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    If the Goretex liner is still functioning and the boots are waterproof use the lowa dressing. If the gortex is time expired and leaks, then lift and re-glue the rand with proper glue and use the Castor oil and Zinc cream that chemists sell to prevent baby's nappy rash to protect and waterproof the boots.
    Do you just mix it 50% off each or do you another way