Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Gps- What's everyone using and why

Gps- What's everyone using and why

Looking at getting a gps for hunting, navigation, plotting spots ect ect, what's everyone use and recommend and why?

Cheer

Tian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a bloody old magellan, never failed me yet. set home point and it will return me everytime. unfortunately it got dropped awhile back and is quite pixelated but still works.

SiB
    I went for the Garmin 650. Built in radio means I'm in touch w buddies when on a wallaby drive or whatever.

Plus I like the touch screen and that I could load a map into it
    P38 likes this.

Garmin GPS60csx, because it was cheap, its reliable, and it has snake game on it
    7mmsaum and TianBotha like this.

My phone. Just as useful as the above and has better maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    +1 Galaxy S6. Get reception (gps) everywhere I did on my Rino.

Garmin 62s from cabelas on sale
    Just loaded nz topo 50 on the iPhone for $5.99, have a play with that tomorrow.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooza View Post
    Garmin 62s from cabelas on sale
    Just loaded nz topo 50 on the iPhone for $5.99, have a play with that tomorrow.
    Interesting let me know how you get on as I've a trip back here me planned in two years and don't really want the cost of a gps on top of travel etc. I'm old school and use compass/watch mostly anyway.

Garmin Dakota.
    I can program it with tracks, routes, and boundaries either DOC or private stations. I loaded NZGPS freemaps on it and it can be used with a profile for offroad and a separate profile for onroad and effectively a navi.
    TianBotha likes this.

Despite my user name I tend to memorise a map and go with a copy of the map in my bag as a backup along with a compass. I tend to navigate by time and the lay of the land using a few landmarks on the way. Quite handy that I can convert the contour lines on a map to a 3D image in my head to triangulate peaks and get a reasonable fix of where I am.

I'll often take a GPS but really only use it as a gadget to keep me occupied in camp.
    Micky Duck and keneff like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ive got an old model Magellan 310 upgraded that i sometimes carry but really im a compass and map kind of guy.

The thing I like about the likes of the Garmin units is they are more than just a gps, allow you to plot routes and record routes, altimeter, barometer is great and I pretty much have the knack of predicting weather by monitoring trends using it. Plus snake game, you can not underestimate the importance of snake game on those rainy tent bound days. Plus you look badass when you have a gps hanging around your neck, anyone who sees you would know straight away this guy is rugged and manly as they come and he means business, use a phone and all the good looking trampers you come across instantly think you're just some yuppy that got lost on his way to a meeting
    P38, Tahr, veitnamcam and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    You'd be wrong on that in the areas that many of us hunt in. Zero cellphone reception, esp in gullies/thick bush.
    Nice for checking mail/ keeping in touch -IF- there is a signal but it's never a reliable navigation tool for many of us.
    TianBotha likes this.

The gps in cellphones doesn't need cell reception to work. It uses the same satellites the normal gps uses.
    jakewire, P38, kiwijames and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    The gps in cellphones doesn't need cell reception to work. It uses the same satellites the normal gps uses.
    They're not as reliable or accurate as a proper gps though as the receivers in them are designed to work in an open environment. We walked back down to camp off a ridge on Price range near whataroa a while back after it clouded in really heavily, camp was on a tussocky terrace so no real features to recognise to let you know where you were, you literally could only see about 6 or 7 meters in front of you, my gps led me straight to camp and the bloke that was hunting with me used his phone and ended up about 60 or 70 meters away yelling out to me to find where camp was
    mikee likes this.