Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Gps- What's everyone using and why

I use a Garmin Alpha and have my GPS App on my phone (phone in flight mode) set on tracking and in the top of my pack as a plan B.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

P38
    I use the Garmin Rino 650

Chose it because Garmin make bloody good GPS units and I wanted the radio feature so I didn't have to carry a seperate GPS and Radio.

I had a Garmin 62 before the Rino and loved it

Both units are very accurate and very reliable.

Cheers
    Pete
    mikee likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

LOC
    What maps are you guys using on your phones?
    Navionics is brilliant for the sea but no good on land

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caretaker
    Ihikegps nz
    LOC likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Veiwranger

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    kiwijames, mikee and LOC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Veiwranger

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    me too but the map files are huge
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Garmin 62s I think, the orange one no idea what maps I'm using they came on it

The last time I used a GPS was my Garmin Astro for the pig dogs a few years ago, was very impressed with it, may get another Garmin one day.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Despite my user name I tend to memorise a map and go with a copy of the map in my bag as a backup along with a compass. I tend to navigate by time and the lay of the land using a few landmarks on the way. Quite handy that I can convert the contour lines on a map to a 3D image in my head to triangulate peaks and get a reasonable fix of where I am.

I'll often take a GPS but really only use it as a gadget to keep me occupied in camp.
    Hiya Gadgetman. Can I borrow your head next time I go out, please? I trust my Garmin 62s but it's good to have something to check it against sometimes.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    The thing I like about the likes of the Garmin units is they are more than just a gps, allow you to plot routes and record routes, altimeter, barometer is great and I pretty much have the knack of predicting weather by monitoring trends using it. Plus snake game, you can not underestimate the importance of snake game on those rainy tent bound days. Plus you look badass when you have a gps hanging around your neck, anyone who sees you would know straight away this guy is rugged and manly as they come and he means business, use a phone and all the good looking trampers you come across instantly think you're just some yuppy that got lost on his way to a meeting
    With a GPS round ya neck they'll be all smiles when they walk past ya. They'll be laughing because you look like you couldn't find your own way out of a wet paper bag.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I'm using a 62s borrowed from work. Works bloody well. Also have maptoaster loaded onto the phone with the whole South Island downloaded topo50. That's bloody useful at checking out areas quickly, also has all conservation boundaries. Can use that to plot tracks and record in real time etc but wouldn't trust it in place of the gps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use backcountry navigator on my phone (mostly just as a backup, have paper map+compass and a decent sense of direction too), the phone GPS chip doesn't get a fix on satellites as well as a dedicated GPS unit in valleys and under thick bush etc though.

Units that can use the Russian GLONASS satellites as well as GPS work better for NZ as the GLONASS orbits take them further south over NZ.

I did use a garmin 78, as its water proof, great device never failed good, on batteries. Bought an alpha 100 and found the GPS works great and the unit is very rugged so I flicked the 78. I remove the collar antena when using it without the dog. It fires up quick and locks on to satelites quickly too. Good thing about it is you can share with other devices and with other alpha users you can message them and track them too.

an old yellow etrex,gifted too me by a forum member after my ones screen got lines on her and was dificult to read.
    why???? because its all I need
    it tells me where my wagon is
    it tells me where Ive shot deer and placed markers before
    it works in the thick bush and gullies if you give it a bit of sky to see.
    90% of where I hunt you only have to walk downstream to get out to wagon anyway.
    map n compass are old school and work....in my main hunting area any of the above are only really needed in fog.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    The thing I like about the likes of the Garmin units is they are more than just a gps, allow you to plot routes and record routes, altimeter, barometer is great and I pretty much have the knack of predicting weather by monitoring trends using it. Plus snake game, you can not underestimate the importance of snake game on those rainy tent bound days. Plus you look badass when you have a gps hanging around your neck, anyone who sees you would know straight away this guy is rugged and manly as they come and he means business, use a phone and all the good looking trampers you come across instantly think you're just some yuppy that got lost on his way to a meeting
    You are very funny
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.