Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Which headlamp to buy???

What ever light you buy get one you can recharge, i brought a led lenser hd10 walk in shop brought it as i needed it right then. only down side cant use aa in it you need to buy another battery.
    It is so good not having to buy battery's all the time

whatever you buy dont use crap batteries that leak and corrode the crap out of the light !!!
    (as some of you may know)

HC65 Nitecore way to go! Awesome
    hotsoup likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    What ever light you buy get one you can recharge, i brought a led lenser hd10 walk in shop brought it as i needed it right then. only down side cant use aa in it you need to buy another battery.
    It is so good not having to buy battery's all the time
    My personal opinion is the lights that have special battery packs that you need to plug the headlight in to recharge are no good.

Far better off to use a light that uses a 18650 lithium ion battery, they have huge capacity and last a long time on each charge. Then you just carry a spare 18650 so that if you are ever caught out with your headlamp battery going flat you just swap in the spare battery.

The 18650 battery technology is so far superior to whats available in your standard AA's and AAA's its not funny.
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Buy the best
    The cheapies let you down usually right when you need it
    i have a Walther from Germany
    Exc - but too heavy for anything other than around home/camp plinking the odd possum etc

Support @terryf above
    Supporting him supports this forum platform too
    Do you mean the best or just the most expensive? I have several "cheap" torches and headlamps and none have ever let me down.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Do you mean the best or just the most expensive? I have several "cheap" torches and headlamps and none have ever let me down.
    Its not about best value, cheapest or most expensive torch etc - IMO its about buying what you're comfortable with, be it a cheapy from Aliexpress or a big brand such as Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, Maxtoch whatever
    The big difference between the cheapies and the big brands is the much tighter tolerances, quality materials (usually aluminium), safety features/functions and of course the warranty.

As long as you're happy with what you have purchased
    Shearer and RV1 like this.
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

Nitecore

This is comprehensive. Ive got one coming from Terry. Am sick of aliexpress lights packing up. And I wanted a light without wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ky2RZeX0KI
    terryf likes this.

Is there much difference in the 18650 battery quality?insee you are out terryf,looking to grab a couple but don’t want to get shitters,

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    This is comprehensive. Ive got one coming from Terry. Am sick of aliexpress lights packing up. And I wanted a light without wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ky2RZeX0KI
    I guess I must have been lucky with my Ali Express lights. I have owned 5 and never had any problems with any of them. My two head torches are wireless and the only light I have had issues with was a LED Lenser H7 where the tilting mechanism failed. I think it cost as much as the others put together.

I guess I must have been lucky with my Ali Express lights. I have owned 5 and never had any problems with any of them. My two head torches are wireless and the only light I have had issues with was a LED Lenser H7 where the tilting mechanism failed. I think it cost as much as the others put together.
    Same with me - Ive had about five too, and they have all failed in the end. I guess they have lasted a year or so of high use each. I want better than that. Time will tell.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by terryf View Post
    Its not about best value, cheapest or most expensive torch etc - IMO its about buying what you're comfortable with, be it a cheapy from Aliexpress or a big brand such as Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, Maxtoch whatever
    The big difference between the cheapies and the big brands is the much tighter tolerances, quality materials (usually aluminium), safety features/functions and of course the warranty.

As long as you're happy with what you have purchased
    I guess I am a bit cynical when it comes to some of the "big brands". I have worked in sports wholesale and retail and seen brand name products which were EXACTLY the same product as a so called cheaper brand. The ONLY difference being the name on the product and the price. You are right, it is all about what works for you and what you are happy with.
    rugerman and terryf like this.

Panasonic 3400 or 3500mAh batteries are the top of the range. I wouldn't buy anything else for high output torches. And always get them with the overload ( protected) circuit to stop those nasty charging fires which burn up all ya shit.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Is there much difference in the 18650 battery quality?insee you are out terryf,looking to grab a couple but don’t want to get shitters,

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Out of what, batteries?
    There are plenty in stock
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

I guess I am a bit cynical when it comes to some of the "big brands". I have worked in sports wholesale and retail and seen brand name products which were EXACTLY the same product as a so called cheaper brand. The ONLY difference being the name on the product and the price. You are right, it is all about what works for you and what you are happy with.
    Would you care to divulge which brands these were?