Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: headtorch help

headtorch help

shopping for head torch.

want more than a camp lamp, but dont need to be spotlighting with the thing.

ideally interchangable with Standard batterys aswell -- this can be challenging.

MH8 ? O lite perrun 2 ? somethin else?

not looking to break the bank either, got good use out of my $30 energizer one but has lost its grip. ok for camp light but want something to get around with, good battery life - possibly swap with AA/AAA / have a low and high mode, not heavy....

what you guys running?

know alot of yas do walk in big distance in the dark, thanks!

Every now and then you get a good thing from Ali Express... This runs on 18650, and came with a USB-C charging port (even though it shows the micro-usb). Keep a spare batt in a plastic tube to prevent it shorting in your pack, and you should be good for 2-3 days. You can get others without the focus ring (I think D2 model has this), but this is good enough for the odd posso at 70-odd metres - not bad for $16!
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...42eff19c3FDYkr

Recommend getting a good quality 18650 batt, not the ones they offer.
    bunji likes this.

Nitecore. Just don’t get one with too many bells and whistles. Fark me H65 needs an inch thick book to drive it.

I like the ones with battery mounted in the front unit like the Nitecore or the old Maxtoch

I don’t like the cheap ones. A reckon a head torch is a bloody important piece of kit if you get in the shit or can get you in the shit if it dies on you.
    HNTMAD, Rees, terryf and 1 others like this.

I'm with you on the cheap shit McNotty... however, in fairness to the cheap shit, the last three (not cheap) led-lenser head torches I have had have all shat themselves in quick order with not significant use. One of these has lasted longer than all three led-lenser torches put together... maybe just lucky, but still.

All about expectation I guess. I carry two of these (they're cheap enough to make a perfect storage compartment for the spare battery), and a little nitecore t360 as an emergency light in my belt kit. If these let me down I'll think about upgrading, but they haven't yet.
    bunji likes this.

I like the aliexpress ones that run on 18650 batteries as yeah_na_missed mentioned. The ones I got are a bit bulkier than the ones he posted, lasted me years and havent let me down yet, but trouble is the ones I bought back then might be different from the ones being sold now. Usually I carry two anyway, and a bunch of extra batteries all charged up.

The ones i got look like this Name:  wertwertwert.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  45.0 KB

Go to piercing the darkness and get one of these, bright, versatile, good run time. Has got me out the shit more than once
    Name:  Screenshot_2023-12-14-01-37-04-75_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  628.3 KB
    Joe_90 and RV1 like this.

I haven't used the torches you mentioned, so wont offer an uneducated opinion on them. They may be great. I have a Fenix HM65R-T, which I have used very regularly for over a year now. You can't interchange the battery's with AA or AAA, but you can buy an extra 18650 that you can swap out if it runs out of juice. To date I can not fault it at all. Easy to operate, the battery lasts ages between charges, it's waterproof etc etc. Definitely worth considering. https://www.gearshop.co.nz/products/...iABEgJJvPD_BwE
    Rees likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedrex View Post
    Go to piercing the darkness and get one of these, bright, versatile, good run time. Has got me out the shit more than once
    Attachment 239351
    AS Zedrex said go to https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz/ --- you won't regret it.

Jacob stands by everything he sells.

Quote Originally Posted by evoke. View Post
    I haven't used the torches you mentioned, so wont offer an uneducated opinion on them. They may be great. I have a Fenix HM65R-T, which I have used very regularly for over a year now. You can't interchange the battery's with AA or AAA, but you can buy an extra 18650 that you can swap out if it runs out of juice. To date I can not fault it at all. Easy to operate, the battery lasts ages between charges, it's waterproof etc etc. Definitely worth considering. https://www.gearshop.co.nz/products/...iABEgJJvPD_BwE
    seconding the Fenix, I use it on low out hunting and it'll light your way for days. I also use it on the bike to work on the spotlight function, it throws enough light that I'll happily bike along at 35kmh and the hour it takes me to get there uses about half a battery

Quote Originally Posted by 16Tontovarish View Post
    seconding the Fenix, I use it on low out hunting and it'll light your way for days. I also use it on the bike to work on the spotlight function, it throws enough light that I'll happily bike along at 35kmh and the hour it takes me to get there uses about half a battery
    Was tossing up the Fenix or the Nitecore HC65V2 and think I'll go for the nitecore due to having a red led option.

Big fan of the larger 18650 batteries.

Whats the battery life like for you? How many days/nights before it runs out?

Really the days of running head torches on AA's has past. Ledlenser weaned everyone off those, by manufacturing AA powered headtorches that shat themselves quite quickly. Then quality, cheap 18650 head torches came along, and the rest is history. A good bit of kit will run for days in the bush on just 1 or 2 18650's. Especially on low power.
    Carbine likes this.

First thing - have had great service from Jacob at Piercing The Darkness. Patronise him if possible. He also has the product techical knowledge that none of the local resellers have and will provide excellent support.

Now having said that look at the Sorfin HS40, on their site. Recently bought a HS40 (Jacob didn't have that model) on recommendation of another forum member. It is a brilliant torch. So pleased with the HS40 I immediately bought their SP336.
    https://www.sofirnlight.com/products...a-9dc26b722b74

My other favourite brand is O-Light.
    MAC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    First thing - have had great service from Jacob at Piercing The Darkness. Patronise him if possible. He also has the product techical knowledge that none of the local resellers have and will provide excellent support.

Now having said that look at the Sorfin HS40, on their site. Recently bought a HS40 (Jacob didn't have that model) on recommendation of another forum member. It is a brilliant torch. So pleased with the HS40 I immediately bought their SP336.
    https://www.sofirnlight.com/products...a-9dc26b722b74

My other favourite brand is O-Light.
    that sofirn sp40 looks like the olight perun model..... might be interested in that- hmm, being in aus an kind of in need of it id like to buy from pierce the night , his prices are good- but shipping will negate the cost

Quote Originally Posted by Rees View Post
    that sofirn sp40 looks like the olight perun model..... might be interested in that- hmm, being in aus an kind of in need of it id like to buy from pierce the night , his prices are good- but shipping will negate the cost
    My first choice was the Olight Perun 2 but couldn't justify it on the amount of use versus the cost.

Sorfin are more of a boutique producer but according to reviews are responsive to users' feedback.
    Yeah, Jacob not really an option.

couple other options....
    fenix hm23 ?
    https://www.liteshop.com.au/content/...-led-headlamp/

dont mind this, perun sorta style.. but no red light might be deal breaker.. for this price i can get the olite perun 2 mini ??
    https://www.liteshop.com.au/content/...ning-headlamp/