Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 2 Post By longshot
  • 1 Post By Hugh Shields

Thread: Anyone using a Svord stainless fish filleting knife

Anyone using a Svord stainless fish filleting knife

I have several Svord knives and am impressed with them all. I like the steel that they are made from.

Looking at getting a fish filleting knife and see that they do a stainless one. Has anyone on here used this knife and can comment on the steel in comparison to Svord knive with the usual high carbon steel blade.

I have one, I rate it. Has the 'rimu' handle I believe. Holds a good edge and easy enough to give a tickle up if needed. Cant compare it to the high carbon svord as I dont have one. I do have a high carbon victory boning knife but not much I own gets as sharp as that hua

Wouldn’t bother with the stainless, wouldn’t be as nice to use as the carbon. Had mine 10 years and never been an issue to keep rust free. I don’t oil it, just make sure it’s dry before storing. Not rocket science. Gets a nice dark patina on it.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    Wouldn’t bother with the stainless, wouldn’t be as nice to use as the carbon. Had mine 10 years and never been an issue to keep rust free. I don’t oil it, just make sure it’s dry before storing. Not rocket science. Gets a nice dark patina on it.
    my stainless one has rust spots and I dry and oil it
    Nick-D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    I have several Svord knives and am impressed with them all. I like the steel that they are made from.

Looking at getting a fish filleting knife and see that they do a stainless one. Has anyone on here used this knife and can comment on the steel in comparison to Svord knive with the usual high carbon steel blade.
    They use 12c27 which is a fairly simple but very good stainless steel. High toughness, and a fine carbide so will take a very fine edge, easily but won't hold it for super long.

Performance wise it will be super close to the simple carbon steels that you know and like allready.

Thanks team.

I will give the stainless option a go. Worst that can happen is it will end up on the Buy/Sell section.

It is for my partner who is looking at getting into fishing, she is doing things in the right order, started off with buying a whole fish to see if she has the nous to gut and fillet. We did have fish for dinner that night but she reckons a proper filleting knife would have helped.
    Gibo and Micky Duck like this.

I use em
    Same same as carbon steel
    Look at some YouTube clips
    I thought I knew how to fillet
    Then saw some pros doing it
    Pink snapper I'm faster
    Everything else ... bloody hell
    Also u can buy a " cake knife" mine is almost 45cm , bought to uncapped honey frames
    It's the best fish skinning / big fillet knife ever. Long and flexible
    Tip if skinning ( I seldomly do - best part of the fish is the skin) make sure there is nothing between fillet and cutting board. 1 scale will let it slip. Then when you skin tip of knife does not leave cutting board ( some ppl find it easier to pull fillet through , keep knife still)

Sharki....it's push knife and pull skin at same time.... Did it for living in previous life lol. I like my svord hunting folders but for fish have a long F Dick filleter.somewhat bullnosed. And pointy flexy cheap one but can't for life of me think of brand.was from hunting n fishing and is bloody good.in material sheath,red n grey handle
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Love my Svord 22cm stainless (and carbon?) filleting knife. Just the right amount of flex for, "push and pull."
    My father always had NZ made Green River carbon steel blades. This one is a bit stiff, but good on bigger bodied fish and everything from rabbits to deer. It's my constant companion.
    The Scanpan vege knife is handy as for boning. Scanpan diamond sharpener ex Briscoes 50% off and a fraction of what you'll pay in the big green shop.
    Add a good meat clever for when you are processing 20 - 30 rabbits for feral cat baits, or splitting a deer down the spine.
    The little Jewelstik Diamond sharpener is handy in the bush.
    Buy your life partner a safety glove, it will add confidence to the process.Name:  20231230_133753.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  4.31 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Berkley....is the brand LOL.
    75/15/10 black powder matters