Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Heavy scope, light rifle...crazy?

I see you are in Auckland.......what sort/type/distance hunting shooting do you normally do/expect to do with your rifle......that sort of determins you answer for you wouldnt you think???

Get the NX8, you can always sell it if not happy with it.
    I'm a nightforce whore, had a few different models over the years, I run a nxs compact on a 300 blackout and a atacr on my 338 edge.
    I hold off for wind and the ffp is nice feature when not max magnification.
    Sakoswarosorted likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakoswarosorted View Post
    Settle down mate I’m not interested in what Americans are doing or swinging my dick around to be fair. I owned a number of scopes you mentioned. had a z5, and while it was light, the eye piece cover fell off and it was the flimsiest scope I’ve owned. There’s positives and negatives to every scope and bit of gear as I’m sure you know.
    It’s a fun journey trying new gear and rifles to find a setup that helps you enjoy doing something I love doing, each to their own
    Dont get me wrong, some of the high end stuff out there is very well worth it but I reckon it's a case of horses for courses, if it's a lightweight rifle you want then it's kind of going against the grain by putting a big heavy scope on it. Of course your excuse for building a lightweight rifle may very well be that you want the rifle light so you can afford to run a heavier scope. Personally I dont think they balance very well and it makes them harder to shoot also. I've never actually bought a real high end scope as I have always found it's and VX5/6 to do everything I need and be reasonable in the weight department also, have actually just bought another Z5 as it was priced well and I really like them, every piece of gear has its positives and negatives though, I dont like how long Z5s are, and I dont like how fiddly they are to zero but other than that never had a problem with them. Have a mate that has a T3 with carbon stock etc and he has a PM11 on it and Its a pig of a thing to shoot for me, it's literally way too top-heavy.
    My comments about dick swinging etc come from the fact that I think a lot of guys dont really care or put much thought into their setups, they just think of all the high fives they will get by having the most expensive shit they can afford (or cant afford, but buy anyhow) and that's it.
    kiwijames, tikka, Got-ya and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I got a vx3 when they came out and went to a 6 when they arrived on the scene.
    The 6 is great but I would like something lighter....but what?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I got a vx3 when they came out and went to a 6 when they arrived on the scene.
    The 6 is great but I would like something lighter....but what?
    A VX3i
    dannyb likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    A VX3i
    Are they optically equivalent to the 6 ?

My 3 was ok but I fucked up and got a LR...side parallax in a hunting scope is a waste of time literally!.

But the 6 is way better optically, is the 3i equivalent glass wise? I haven't looked threw a 3i
    kiwijames likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    My most recent plan for my finnlight was to have the vx5 3-15x44 for target shooting but run with the vx3i 2.5-8x36 for a hunting scope.
    I took the vx3 and rings to the range today but never swapped the scopes over, I might do it once my load development is done.

My 3 was ok but I fucked up and got a LR...side parallax in a hunting scope is a waste of time literally!.

But the 6 is way better optically, is the 3i equivalent glass wise? I haven't looked threw a 3i
    in short no its good but it doesn't compare to a VX5 or 6 in low light conditions. don't get me wrong still very good
    veitnamcam likes this.

you are welcome to look thru my Vx3i 2-8, it aint no VX5 but it works better than the NF, Vx3LR and VX6, no dial up and no parallax. Simple is good

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    you are welcome to look thru my Vx3i 2-8, it aint no VX5 but it works better than the NF, Vx3LR and VX6, no dial up and no parallax. Simple is good
    Want dial up, dont want parallax adj.

Want dial up, dont want parallax adj.
    then get the vx3i CDS, this is what I have and lets put it another way....I've had a vx5hd CDS and I don't feel the need to upgrade my vx3i CDS. It's good enough, you might loose 15-20 minutes at the beginning or end of the day with fading light but that's a worst case scenario.

New 2.4-12 Z5 looks pretty good Cam, had a fondle of one the other day and was tossing up between it and the 3.5-18, ended up with the 3.5-18 but only because I want to shoot a bit of steel every now and then and side focus be good for that. The 2.4-12 was every bit as good optically, but simpler, no side focus, can be had with or without ballistic turret
    veitnamcam and dannyb like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I got a VX3i 3.5-10x42 CDS,nice scope. Seems to dial well. Got a good price from Taihape sports.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    then get the vx3i CDS, this is what I have and lets put it another way....I've had a vx5hd CDS and I don't feel the need to upgrade my vx3i CDS. It's good enough, you might loose 15-20 minutes at the beginning or end of the day with fading light but that's a worst case scenario.
    Trouble is is that that is the best part of the day hunting wise.
    Hard to go back from good glass.
    Rich007, Matt2308 and Gibo like this.

Trouble is is that that is the best part of the day hunting wise.
    Hard to go back from good glass.
    haven't lost an animal yet due to lack of light......haven't missed one either
    7mmsaum likes this.