Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Heli Trip Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Unihunter View Post
    Have a huntech bivvy i was thinking may be a suitable cooking/ gear storage. May need to invest in a down jacket. Didn't even think about the chair! Will definitely be great for a week of glassing. What type of cooler do you recommend? Thinking the jetboil maybe out if it's element at that height and temp.
    Any old chilly bin will do, it will more than likely be cold enough in there, jetboil is good to carry during the day if your doing a full day hunt, hot soup for lunch can be a morale booster
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

On fly in trips I take a two burner Coleman cooker & 4kg gas bottle, we get the wives to cook up a couple of hearty stews & freeze them to take in, plus a premade pasta sauce, some frozen sausages, spuds & veges, pasta & you have some good easy feeds at night when you get into camp.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Something to sit on when glassing eg a piece of an old foam sleeping mat, good gloves and a down jacket. A strong 4 season tent is a must nothing worse than a flattened tent at 1600m 2am in the morning of May.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    On fly in trips I take a two burner Coleman cooker & 4kg gas bottle, we get the wives to cook up a couple of hearty stews & freeze them to take in, plus a premade pasta sauce, some frozen sausages, spuds & veges, pasta & you have some good easy feeds at night when you get into camp.
    Curried sausages is good. Used to do flaked mashed spud but now take Naan bread and heat in frying pan ��

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Also i usually take a poly chilly box with a few frozen water bottles to keep the food cold. Drink the water when defrosted and use the box to haul the meat out
    Frozen milk is just as good and goes well on porridge, coffee etc

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Also i usually take a poly chilly box with a few frozen water bottles to keep the food cold. Drink the water when defrosted and use the box to haul the meat out
    hotsoup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Bloody good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Man, great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Unihunter View Post
    I can imagine. I've been used to stripping to the bear min because of accessing by foot over the East coast. There's three of us a 420kg limit and all together we weigh under 200kg. So have some weight to play with but need weight left over to bring out that big bull hopefully. Dont often bring alcohol in anywhere hunting I don't really see it to be a good mix but may bring a box for those successful days if weight allows.
    3 guys, 420kg load (assuming single load in/out in a 500). You'll need to watch the bulk/volume of your gear as much as the weight. 3 ppl, packs, rifles, daybags and you're getting pretty choked. Don't take chilly bin, they take up too much room. Cooler bag will be ok. Smaller bags are easier to pack in and around the machine than boxes, etc.
    Definitely recommend the camp chairs and tarp as already suggested.

If you got a spare light weight tent so you can fly camp a night or two away from main camp.Gives you more options , id rather take that than a box of beer
    Bryan likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Something to piss into at night so you don't have to get out of your sleeping bag and tent. It gets dark early and you can spend some long nights and you have to keep hydrated. My pet hate is clambering in and out of my sleeping bag and tent and out into the rain.

I use a drink bottle with a screw cap. For me it doesn't need a very wide mouth.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Something to piss into at night so you don't have to get out of your sleeping bag and tent. It gets dark early and you can spend some long nights and you have to keep hydrated. My pet hate is clambering in and out of my sleeping bag and tent and out into the rain.

I use a drink bottle with a screw cap. For me it doesn't need a very wide mouth.
    This. One of my Thar camps only sees the sun for around an hour a day. If your not moving you are cold no matter what you're wearing.

Only time you get truly warm is when in the fart sack.
    @sneeze is an expert at this even when it is not cold. That bum never gets out of his bag until breakfast and coffee is ready

A dirty D model has a payload of 450kgs.
    Most operators that ferry hunters have a belly pod of sorts. But it always amazed me how much gear people thought they could fit in. A Black Hawk would struggle

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

You couldn't work the plunger so I had to make my own coffee.
    Always take a drink bottle in the tent. Thirsty, full bladder and cold feet? Drink the water, piss in the bottle, screw the cap on (tight) and put it in the end of your sleeping bag. All issues dealt with. Added bonus is the look on R93s face in the morning when you drag the bottle out.
    R93 likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    You couldn't work the plunger so I had to make my own coffee.
    Always take a drink bottle in the tent. Thirsty, full bladder and cold feet? Drink the water, piss in the bottle, screw the cap on (tight) and put it in the end of your sleeping bag. All issues dealt with. Added bonus is the look on R93s face in the morning when you drag the bottle out.
    One look was of excitement until I realised it wasn't cordial you were hoarding and the other was of shock when you decided to tip it out next to my tent

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Smelt strong so I wasn't going to tip it by my tent was I.
    R93 and berg243 like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin