Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By 30.06king

Thread: Homemade Leather Preservative / Waterproofing - Puffin Dubbin Report

Homemade Leather Preservative / Waterproofing - Puffin Dubbin Report

I applied some of Puffins Dubbin to a pair of boots today and sent the following to Puffin. Only one coat for reasons explained in the message, which is copied below for anyone interested.

Hi Puffin,
    A short report on boots I treated today.
    Aim of the treatment was only to rewax boots going into storage, to keep the leather supple and prevent drying out. These boots are used only in dry conditions so I am not concerned about waterproofing.
    I've put some pics below, including the container of dubbin I have been using for several years which I think works acceptably although I know there's probably better stuff out there. As with my usual product I applied the Puffin Dubbin with an old toothbrush.
    I found the Puffin Dubbin to be of "stiffer" consistency than my usual product and was initially concerned the toothbrush would not pick up enough to brush on a decent amount. However, despite this, whatever the brush picked up rubbed on very well and spread nicely and may actually be better than my usual product. It took no more time to give the boots a nice coating and, as usual, I finished by heating the dubbin with a hairdryer to soften it and get penetration into the leather pores. Overall I think Puffin Dubbin works pretty well.

Last edited by 30.06king; 23-09-2023 at 08:35 PM.
    Puffin, Micky Duck and Happy Jack like this.