Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: How big a pack?

Going through this myself now. 35l karramor with my twin needle belt under it (still hasn't arrived... Ordered over a month ago....) and binos harness on the front. Don't think I will quite fit everything in for 4 days as I need the tent for a few nights.... Think I'll need to take the big pack,can others have said it's what you carry out. Not only venison but there's usually rubbish somewhere to be removed

Following this with a great deal of interest. I was looking at a Cactus Huntaway 45+10 as a 1 or 2 night pack.
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    It is a squeeze but I deliberately got a smaller pack to make me take less shit.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Mmm see what you saying but wouldnt it be better to have a half full bigger pack than a smaller one overfilled for comfort etc and the extra room if you need it.You just need self control VC and dont take that extra crap you dont need. A boned out deer just takes alot of room and i hate to have a smaller pack and waste meat if i couldnt fit in etc. My badlands 2800 is 47 l . Think that be ok but have to pack well to make sure that i could carry meat out. At least the badlands can handle as much weight as you can load it with, strong as a ox. still think i rather have a 60l thou, esp for colder or wetter trips

Only you can answer this.
    Go into Macpac or what ever shop that sells the pack you like. Take all your gear with you and try packing it into the pack you want. With in 5 minutes you will know if its big enough or not. Saves buying a pack then discovering you cant get all your gear in.
    Danny, blake and 223nut like this.

Quote Originally Posted by possum_shooter View Post
    Only you can answer this.
    Go into Macpac or what ever shop that sells the pack you like. Take all your gear with you and try packing it into the pack you want. With in 5 minutes you will know if its big enough or not. Saves buying a pack then discovering you cant get all your gear in.
    Polite thing is to take a pack liner as well or buy one off them and get the pack somewhere else

All depends on what type of hunting you are doing I reckon.
    For me most of my hunting is bush hunting in the Kaimanawa's. I use a 42L Stoney creek bag and find it perfect for the kind of hunting I do and has plenty of room for all my gear for 3 or 4 nights plus can fit in a couple of boned out sika on the way out.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
    All depends on what type of hunting you are doing I reckon.
    For me most of my hunting is bush hunting in the Kaimanawa's. I use a 42L Stoney creek bag and find it perfect for the kind of hunting I do and has plenty of room for all my gear for 3 or 4 nights plus can fit in a couple of boned out sika on the way out.
    Hi Just wondering what sleeping bag you use as mine takes up half of my 42L pack.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Hi Just wondering what sleeping bag you use as mine takes up half of my 42L pack.

Macpac Epic 400 sleeping bag inside a compression sack, Big Agnes fly creek UL2 tent also in a compression sack, Thermarest NeoAir sleeping mat and Tahr Anorak jacket are the 4 main/biggest items that go in first and take up bit less than 1/3 of the pack space.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post

What sleeping bag have you got that takes up 20l!! can't say I have measured mine but mines a macpac bag and it's prob 30cm by 10. Comparing it to a 3l juice bottle it's maybe 8 litres and keeps me warm even wih a few cm of snow of the ground

Just had mine replaced under warranty it's a Domex 1.8kg and a big bugger but buy the time I get that and my neo air pad and cooker etc and a fly and food there would be no room left. I would love to get one half the size. I may have over exaggerated a bit about how much room it takes up.
    Also what's a good day pack about 40L that will room up to fit in your main pack.

It really does depend on where in the country you are. Here in Te Urewera country we are seldom 3 or 4 hours walk from a nice cosy hut...that's winter sorted. Summer fly camping consists of a sil nylon tarp and an exped ul mattress... Good quality 550-600gm down sleeping bag some dehy and a change of clothes... 40 - 50 litre pack is heaps... Wtf do you put in a 85 - 90 litre pack? Your horse???
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    You should put up a pic of your gear beside your pack @vietnamcam for a 3 nighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There already is on here from the last time someone (EBF I think?) asked exactly that.
    I went to that after watching Adam put everything in for a couple nights in his 35l and I had a 15l day pack and 70l main pack and was like wtf i need to sort this shit out!
    Biggun708 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

i have an 85 liter tikka pack. great for long and short trips. you can always release your sleeping bag etc to fill up the volume and pack it in tighter later for meat extraction, the main thing in packs is a good fit. some of all are tall and thin, some are short and wide

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    There already is on here from the last time someone (EBF I think?) asked exactly that.
    I went to that after watching Adam put everything in for a couple nights in his 35l and I had a 15l day pack and 70l main pack and was like wtf i need to sort this shit out!
    Lol that old pack of his seen some loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts