Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: How do you guys clean your packs?

How do you guys clean your packs?

As titled.

I had a bit of a shocker with a macpac weka which needed a repair. I shot a deer put the legs in and stained the inner with blood. Not badly but enough to notice.
    I soaked it in cold water overnight, then I cleaned with light solution of handy andy and cold water and a stiff brush, then the hose.
    Thinking it would be clean enough for repair, just with one stain set into it which i cant get out, I took it to macpac who sent it to their factory only for it to be sent back as being too dirty, which really annoyed me.

Anyone got any pro tips? Usually I’d just do as above and its always been fine but just wondering how everyone else does it.

Making a paste from baking soda and warm water then smearing that on stains and leaving for a while before rinsing out is usually a pretty good solution.

For blood I mostly fill a plastic tub large enough to take the completely submerged pack, fill the tub with hot but not boiling water, submerge the pack and keep it submerged with bricks / blocks on top. The water temperature alone will reliquify the blood which flows ouf of the pack fabric by itself. After about 30 min submersion it doesn't hurt to agitate the pack around a bit and leave for another 30 min or so or until the water cools but is not yet cold. Then remove pack and do a quick, agitated rinse in a fresh batch of warm water and if should look pretty clean. At this point any stubborn remaining stain can be effectively dealt to with a semi firm scrubbing brush.
    ariki likes this.

Its not a problem I have

Name:  IMG_5256 2.jpeg
Views: 311
Size:  5.40 MB
    Trout, Low box, BRADS and 7 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Can't say I've ever cleaned a pack
    I did notice on a recent school camp mine was the only one covered in deer hair and blood maybe I should look into it

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Tahr, 308, Gibo and 4 others like this.

MB
    Not helpful to the OP, but I use a "meat bag" and it goes in the washing machine on a cold water wash with no cleaning products.
    RV1 likes this.

If it’s blood, cold water only. Hot water sets the stain (denatures the protein , cooks it, turns brown etc). Use a good cold water detergent and soak and hand wash. You might want to add bleach or even some chlorine. Do this with the pack out so it dilutes evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a rock in it,and place it in the river for a couple of days.Free of charge cleaning.
    Brian likes this.

Cheers guys might try the baking soda solution as have done the cold soak twice now and not seeming to make any head way. Usually I wouldnt bother but the wekas been good to me and i’d like to be able to hang onto it.
    Tahr likes this.

Send it to twin needle to fix.
    kiwijames, erniec, mark_k and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

As Dicko said, cold water only for blood. Soak with soap powder. I just water blast it afterwards and they come up like new.
    Woody likes this.

Watch out using Handy Andy on canvas items. It will bleach out some of the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Put a rock in it,and place it in the river for a couple of days.Free of charge cleaning.
    Exactly what I do.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Exactly what I do.
    Iv done that with the odd pack or a pair of new boots.Soften them up

Laundry mat on the drive back. Cold water and use the save the planet hippy eculapytus stuff. Through shoes, everything in there

Key... gives me enough time to order chicken and chips at the kebab place next door.